Poll - Noob Recruiting Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
As a new coach, you don't know what qualities to recruit for until you've played a little and somewhat learned what an effective player looks like.

I don't know the answer to your question, there are valid arguments both ways.
10/4/2017 8:40 PM
I’ll be there for you
10/4/2017 8:50 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 10/4/2017 8:50:00 PM (view original):
I’ll be there for you
We've got each other, and that's a lot.
10/4/2017 8:52 PM
What is the greatest Bon Jovi song of all time?
Votes: 37
(Last vote received: 3/29/2018 5:33 PM)
10/4/2017 8:57 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Probably should have put Tom Petty instead. Dammit. Sorry Tom.
10/4/2017 9:17 PM
Gets new users engaged sooner and gives them something to do/occupy themselves with before worlds officially open up for them to join. Plus whomever those incoming freshmen are, they'll be on the team they control. I don't see issues with it. Thinks it would likely help new user retention...if we can drive new users here in the first place.
10/4/2017 10:24 PM
I went Bon Jovi. It is always a great answer. You give love a bad name best song. It's my life best of later songs.

Seriously though I think it depends on the person.

Some users may feel overwhelmed having to recruit without having coached a team first. Recruiting is not an area a new user will have a lot of success in and when they are crushed by experienced players again and again over a few days of recruiting they may not want to play anymore. Their initial roster might be weaker than it would be if a SIM recruited. At least jumping in to the season they can get a few victories over Sims that builds some good feelings. If they botch that first recruiting they might end up with a roster of walk ons that the Sims can crush.

Others will love the chance to recruit first and will identify with a player and build from there like some have said.

Really depends on the person...I would have been in the first group because it took me a couple seasons to get the hang of recruiting. Figuring out pull downs and such in 2.0 was a mess for me. Gameplanning, now that was something I seemed to grasp a little bit from the beginning.

However I am not a noob anymore and would like to hear more from them on the topic.
10/5/2017 1:55 AM (edited)
Bon Jovi...Have a Nice Day
10/5/2017 3:02 AM
An idea... create a smart email from the Assistant Coach.

"Hey noob coach. Welcome to the position as Head Coach at the prettiest campus in the South. We lost 2 starters off our last season squad, our top rebounder, and our top scorer. We will need recruits with good athleticism and rebounding to fill the gaps left in the paint. Last season we ranked 40th in the division in points allowed; we had solid defense, but could probably improve. We need a couple of great recruits. Check out this link (to recruiting guide) to get started!"

New players coming in cold facing recruiting as their first task are going to make major mistakes but they will have more fun and ownership. I think if recruiting is the first thing you face as a new player, the game needs a built-in guide (Assistant Coach) for your first season.
10/5/2017 6:44 AM
Posted by craigaltonw on 10/5/2017 6:44:00 AM (view original):
An idea... create a smart email from the Assistant Coach.

"Hey noob coach. Welcome to the position as Head Coach at the prettiest campus in the South. We lost 2 starters off our last season squad, our top rebounder, and our top scorer. We will need recruits with good athleticism and rebounding to fill the gaps left in the paint. Last season we ranked 40th in the division in points allowed; we had solid defense, but could probably improve. We need a couple of great recruits. Check out this link (to recruiting guide) to get started!"

New players coming in cold facing recruiting as their first task are going to make major mistakes but they will have more fun and ownership. I think if recruiting is the first thing you face as a new player, the game needs a built-in guide (Assistant Coach) for your first season.
I've suggested previously to have Noob emails that would provide helpful tips and information. These could be about scouting, recruiting or gameplanning. Not only would it be helpful but it's also something to look forward to during the 1st couple seasons.

For the vets - you could just toggle the tips on and off if you're sick of getting the same tips over and over again.
10/5/2017 7:41 AM
Blaze of Glory
10/5/2017 7:45 AM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 10/5/2017 7:45:00 AM (view original):
Blaze of Glory
Point of order, that’s a Jon Bon Jovi song, not a Bon Jovi song. But since it’s after 1988, we can let it slide.
10/5/2017 10:29 AM
My first date ever was to see Young Guns 2. My sister drove us in her red Subaru Justy. I thought the movie was excellent.
10/5/2017 10:39 AM
12 Next ▸
Poll - Noob Recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.