Three Guard Lineup Topic

I'm wondering what people have to say about playing a three guard lineup? I am thinking about switching to it in the future but I've never done it before. I have seen some successful coaches using it and am wondering about the risks/benefits as well as any advice anyone may have.
9/19/2018 11:45 AM
I have done it in the past.

From my perspective, the benefit is more shooting and speed on the floor. When I ran 3 guards I was running a press defense. The downside is you will usually be giving up some ATH and a bit of RBD that a traditional SF would provide.
9/19/2018 1:00 PM
Works great with flex and 3-2 zone.
9/19/2018 2:32 PM
I've gone away from a 3 guard lineup lately. The #3 guy doesn't seem to add a huge impact with speed, ball handling and passing. Good athleticism, defense and rebounding and a decent combination of LP/PE seems to be the way to go. I don't run press any longer, but if I did, I probably would stay away from a 3 guard offense. One season I was playing with a 94 speed guy and +90 in ball handling at the 3, but didn't see anything great in terms of steals or offensive production from those attributes, despite pressing. But I don't know, maybe the fact that you have a fast guy at the 3, helps the PG and SG in some way. Also, in terms of 3 pt %, it's usually my #3 guy that has the lowest percentage out of the guards if I'm setting him at +1 or +2.
9/19/2018 2:36 PM
My experience with 3 guards is that it works best if your 3rd guard isn't a primary scoring option. Players like a high ATH/DEF guard with no other skills, or the odd guard with good rebounding/LP but no perimeter game, things like that.
9/20/2018 8:12 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 9/19/2018 2:32:00 PM (view original):
Works great with flex and 3-2 zone.
This is the correct answer. :)
9/20/2018 10:37 AM
I will run a three guard lineup with two strong centers. Also fun to use against press teams.
9/22/2018 6:47 PM
key thing to keep in mind is that it is NOT the stated position of that third guard that matters - it is his skillz

if you have a guard who has SF level - for your division/team - REB and ATH etc - then it really isnt a three guard lineup

always consider who your player really IS and not his label.
9/24/2018 11:19 AM
Three Guard Lineup Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.