Who would you prefer to redshirt? Topic

ATH SPD REB DEF BLK LP PER BH Pass WE STM DUR FT
Boyd Griffith 63 30 29 71 20 32 24 38 44 33 72 46 D
Justin Rybinski 73 23 62 57 49 17 11 29 23 53 59 34 D

Based purely on ratings, this seems like a very straightforward question to me. If one of LP/Per happens to be very high, Griffith has the opportunity to be one of the very best players in D3. He also has limited WE. He could use the redshirt year to develop. Rybinski is a nice recruit - he's actually the one I had to fight for, probably because of his pretty starting ATH - but has less overall potential to grow into and more WE to do it with. The team dynamics make it a little more complicated, however. The plan is for Griffith to be primarily used at the 3. My two returning guys whose primary position is SF are going to be a Sr. and a Jr. My four returning posts will be Sr, Sr, So, Fr. It's certainly plausible that Rybinski overtakes someone, but I don't need him to be a starter until his senior year if he doesn't redshirt. OTOH, I need Griffith ready to play significant minutes next year and start the following. A RS season will obviously stunt his growth in year 1, assuming I can find him some minutes if he plays, and he's less ready to step right into providing useful minutes as he stands now. That makes him a more valuable freshman after a RS season, but potentially meaningfully less ready 2 years from now if he doesn't get minutes right away.

I think my lean is still to redshirt Griffith. I just think he has too high of a ceiling to waste. I also like that if one of LP/Per is on the low end of green, I'll know before he starts his freshman year, and I'll be able to avoid pumping more valuable practice minutes into that (also, if one is just much higher than the other I'll be able to see that reflected in growth rates during a RS season). As of now I probably have to put meaningful minutes into both in the hope that one has explosive growth potential.

In a perfect world I would have recruited a post to redshirt and an SF ready to play. In the real world I got the opposite.
5/15/2023 3:40 PM
In my experience, players like Griffith are less likely to have PER skyrocket. Plus, it's not like he'd be a great shooter even if it does. If you aggressively grow his Ath/Spd/Def he should be serviceable filler until he develops enough to get a feel for how good he can become

I would not redshirt Rybinski because he is never going to be more than filler (59 black Stm isn't helping in that regard) and he's not the kind of player you really want on your roster for 5 seasons.
5/15/2023 5:17 PM
I'd be comfortable redshirting Griffith. The only real tough thing is that there's nothing you can definitely 0 out (maybe pass) without dropping during a redshirt season, so yeah, he won't grow much. But redshirts are always more about IQ than attributes for me, anyway.

I kind of disagree on Rybinski being just filler (assuming not press or FB), he'll be a very solid D3 defensive PF, just low distribution if his LP doesn't turn out to be VVH. Never know, could develop into a great offensive player too, and the redshirt could be a part of that, because if that LP would end up in the 70s or 80s or above, it could take all 5 years to get there (and with the green BH and FT too? at D3? yes please!). But that's very optimistic projection of course. Realistically, you know he's at least going to be a very solid defensive player, and while I wouldn't necessarily want him ever starting on a press team, I think he'll be ok getting ~20 good D3 minutes eventually in other sets. So if you are pretty solid that it makes your team better next year to get Griffith more minutes, then that's what you should do, IMO. Don't worry too much about the player they'll be in 5 seasons, or maxing them out - you never know what kind of team you'll have around them anyway. You do know what kind of team you'll have next year though.
5/16/2023 10:17 AM
Who would you prefer to redshirt? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.