Does anyone really adjust "Player Rolls"? Topic

Does anyone really adjust "Player Rolls", and if so what kind of formula do you use?
5/26/2023 12:46 PM
Absolutely, and I recommend it to everyone I talk to. It's the best tool we have to tailor our style, and really figure out how the system evaluates and utilizes talent, which are kind of two separate concepts, making player roles important for both recruiting/team building and game planning.

I usually recommend only changing a couple things off the bat, like zeroing durability and work ethic, and drastically reducing the non-position core areas (rebounding for guards, ballhandling for bigs, etc), and then fine tuning as you go. I also prefer to use broad roles like distributor / perimeter scorer / swing / interior defender, etc instead of trying to come up with a formula for every position. I started out thinking I would have a formula for every position in every set, and what a waste of time. For one, if you have multiple teams, you only have one formula applied at once across all of them anyway, so it's really a waste to even bother with. Now I just have some broad roles, and I plug those in to however I'm feeling at the time. It does still make it a little weird when I've got teams that are drastically different from each other, like my uptempo FB/P Fresno squad and my grinding triangle/man Lincoln team, and I do wish they would make it applicable on a team basis. But even broadly, it's still way better than just overall ratings, and your own adjusted roles are going to be much better than the default system settings as well, even accounting for the differences in sets.
5/26/2023 5:19 PM
I have formulas for all five positions, but I don't use the Player Roles screen because some of my formulas aren't just linear weights on different traits. I have a spreadsheet where I pop in the ratings of each player and it produces their "scores" for offensive and defensive strength at each position.
5/30/2023 5:12 PM
Does anyone really adjust "Player Rolls"? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.