Wilkinson - The Sun Belt Conference Topic

Come challenge for the Commander's Trophy at West Point...build the Ragin' Cajuns...take over a loaded Troy State...dominate recruiting in Montana...don't miss a chance to compete bro's...
THE SUN BELT IS MAKING A POWER MOVE.
6/7/2022 11:24 AM
Or come join the MAC in Leahy - 10 human coaches :D
6/8/2022 2:04 PM
The rich get richer in the "new" playoff format that we have in 1A, now. That statement makes the assumption of my perceived "usual" conference staffing. G5s being sparsely populated and the bulk of coaches in the P5 conferences. The G5 conferences need to get a handful of teams in the playoffs each season to even out the recruiting bonus. The Big East coaches are being successful doing just that. We are looking to do the same in the Sun Belt. Come join us.
6/8/2022 3:06 PM
You're not wrong, but one thing to consider is this game was created pre Power 5 in the BCS era. Despite not having an Elite the Big East is a BCS conference, which means it will have inherent recruiting advantages over the Sun Belt
6/8/2022 3:37 PM
Posted by BenKallenbac on 6/8/2022 3:37:00 PM (view original):
You're not wrong, but one thing to consider is this game was created pre Power 5 in the BCS era. Despite not having an Elite the Big East is a BCS conference, which means it will have inherent recruiting advantages over the Sun Belt
Yup, won the C-USA CC last season in Wilkinson and my reward was an 8 seed in a regional against #2 overall Notre Dame. Cannon fodder. Did I mention recruiting in Florida? Doesn't matter what position player I try to recruit at the D1A level, the big 3 (Miami, Florida St, Florida) have a lock on them from opening cycle, then it's Bama, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, waiting in the wings. I know they want realism, but how are you supposed to compete using borderline D1A players. Going to the Sun Belt would probably be no different in reaching playoffs. You have to win your conference or be CC runner up and go 5-0 in your NC scheduled with road games vs perennial top tens. I never was in favor of going to a playoff format in D1A, the rich just keep getting richer.
6/8/2022 7:09 PM
I mean, I guess if you are trying to win NCs you would avoid small conferences. But I'm not going to be able to do that anyway so may as well have fun in a conference with human coaches rather than whomping up on sims 10 times a year.
6/8/2022 10:34 PM
72 BCS jobs in each world if you're interested in a shot at winning a NC. I haven't seen a world with all 72 filled in a long long time, ha.

I do think you could create a loaded mid-major conference with the right mix of coaches. I don't see how you can win 5 straight in the playoffs at a mid-major though.
6/11/2022 1:24 PM (edited)
50+k of extra recruiting money every season makes a difference at the mid-major level. Making the playoffs every season makes recruiting a little easier. The potential is there to build a competitive team.
The Sun Belt's teams are widely dispersed. Pick a favorite recruiting area or challenge yourself in the Northwest. (I recall Sir Biff doing pretty well at Idaho).
lt all boils down to enjoying your game. A good group of coaches will make that happen no matter what symbol is on your helmet.
6/12/2022 12:26 PM
Thanks marble... I was able to do OK at Idaho mostly by roughing up sims, though. Tough to really compete from there.
6/12/2022 10:34 PM
Actually, the new format gives everyone a chance now. The only way for G5 team to make it to a national championship is if they are legit top 10 roster. In order to do so you need playoff money to our bid for recruits and to be smart. In order to get big time playoff money you need a whole structure of human coaches in a conference. CUSA has the best chance for 12 human coaches. Followed by Sunbelt. I don’t think MWC will ever be perennial bc of the recruiting locations. Not enough recruits to go around and build playoff caliber teams that shifts the $ to MWC. If I were anyone I’d start building at Houston or SMU. Recruit humans to your conference and try to shift powers.
6/13/2022 5:14 PM
There didn't appear to be any interest in the Sun Belt teams. Given the chance to take an SEC Elite, I went for it. My #4 ranked Arkansas State team is now open.
6/14/2022 8:57 PM
Posted by marble26 on 6/14/2022 8:57:00 PM (view original):
There didn't appear to be any interest in the Sun Belt teams. Given the chance to take an SEC Elite, I went for it. My #4 ranked Arkansas State team is now open.
You built a really good team but when the opportunity came, you jumped ship to an Elite.

This is why the non-Elite/non-BCS teams will never win a Title in this new playoff system.
6/14/2022 10:57 PM
Posted by GOATichick on 6/14/2022 10:57:00 PM (view original):
You built a really good team but when the opportunity came, you jumped ship to an Elite.

This is why the non-Elite/non-BCS teams will never win a Title in this new playoff system.
is there a name for this logical fallacy where a coach leaving proves he wouldn't have won if he stayed?

hasty generalization maybe?
6/14/2022 11:16 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 6/14/2022 11:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by GOATichick on 6/14/2022 10:57:00 PM (view original):

is there a name for this logical fallacy where a coach leaving proves he wouldn't have won if he stayed?

hasty generalization maybe?
Extremely Educated Guess
6/15/2022 12:49 AM
Wilkinson - The Sun Belt Conference Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.