The Future of GUESS Topic

Gdreports has been down less than one day and it’s already killing me :(
7/7/2023 10:37 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by AlekTX2020 on 7/8/2023 12:50:00 AM (view original):
Can someone explain how Bob is able to extract date from the WIS recruiting? And then be able to upload it per world as a formula for each team? It’s impressive. I understand it may be easy for tech wiz but technology still amazes me. I couldn’t replicate it if I tried. But it’s a great tool someone should remake it, or inherit bobs website. Then set up a go fundme for a pool of money for the year to support the website. Or maybe Bob can make money off of it? I’ll pay $30 a year myself. Maybe even more tbh. Its quality entertainment.
I'd pay $50...I'm a data guy and his reports were one of the highlights of the game for me.
7/8/2023 9:45 AM
Can someone explain how Bob is able to extract date from the WIS recruiting? And then be able to upload it per world as a formula for each team? It’s impressive. I understand it may be easy for tech wiz but technology still amazes me. I couldn’t replicate it if I tried. But it’s a great tool someone should remake it, or inherit bobs website. Then set up a go fundme for a pool of money for the year to support the website. Or maybe Bob can make money off of it? I’ll pay $30 a year myself. Maybe even more tbh. Its quality entertainment.
I have a java application (yatzr wrote it for me) that screen scrapes the roster page for each team, and compiles the data into a CSV file. Then I run an Excel spreadsheet with a bunch of macros that imports the data, does all of the calculations, and saves the data in a new file. After that, another program uploads the information into the database that serves as the 'backend' for the web pages.

7/8/2023 12:59 PM
Doesn’t sound overly complicated
7/8/2023 1:13 PM
I am sorry to see GD ending, but I totally get it. Thank you so much for everything Bob.
7/25/2023 1:43 PM
I came back to the game this year after almost a decade away and one of the first things I looked forward to was Bob's recruiting ranking. It's sad to see them going away but I do thank you for what you did to make things a bit more enjoyable Bob!
7/25/2023 1:49 PM
Said day indeed to read GD reports will be gone. One of the things I looked forward to doing was to get my recruiting ranks from it. I have contemplated not playing for several years, but recruiting is one of the best part of the GD. Hopefully GD or someone else will pick up what Bob did. Thank you Bob for your years of doing GD reports.
7/26/2023 9:38 AM
I will miss you and your GUESS REPORTS. I have spent a lot of years reading the report, you truly made the game more enjoyable. All the best to you sir.
7/29/2023 5:44 AM
It's a shame, I will miss the reports.
Bob, you have gone above and beyond on this one, so many thanks for that, and good luck to you in the future.
7/29/2023 6:05 AM
Thank you BOB for everything
7/30/2023 1:19 PM
More thanks to Bob for adding tremendous value to GD. If I had known about this before getting back in, I wouldn't have.
8/1/2023 11:45 AM
Posted by SmokePants on 7/8/2023 9:45:00 AM (view original):
I'd pay $50...I'm a data guy and his reports were one of the highlights of the game for me.
I'd donate to someone if they recreated the Yaztr tool.
8/1/2023 5:27 PM
https://gdanalyst.herokuapp.com - provides game analysis similar to Yatzr's game analyzer tool. It also has other capabilities. Works in any web browser.

https://github.com/ebzimny01/gd-recruit - replacement for Yatzr's recruiting tool. Windows app only at moment. Have had only 1 request for Mac, so haven't built for Mac, but it is doable.

Replacement for GUESS is a work in progress. Should be ready before Bob shuts down his site.
8/5/2023 2:49 PM
Posted by ebzimny01 on 8/5/2023 2:49:00 PM (view original):
https://gdanalyst.herokuapp.com - provides game analysis similar to Yatzr's game analyzer tool. It also has other capabilities. Works in any web browser.

https://github.com/ebzimny01/gd-recruit - replacement for Yatzr's recruiting tool. Windows app only at moment. Have had only 1 request for Mac, so haven't built for Mac, but it is doable.

Replacement for GUESS is a work in progress. Should be ready before Bob shuts down his site.
Thanks for everything you are doing ebzimny, other community contributors get a lot more attention(Bob/Yatzr/majique etc.) but it looks to me like you've done more for the game than anybody in recent years (quietly and with almost zero fanfare).

You might need better branding and PR for your tools and services though, or maybe a hype man. People are still trying to give money to Bob who is retiring and yatzr for a long dead project while you create modern and well-designed tools in relative obscurity.
8/5/2023 4:30 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
The Future of GUESS Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.