This morning during the all star game, Gary Thorne said that some stat nerd had researched the role of the closer in MLB all the way back to 1900. His findings indicate that since its inception, teams using a closer and leading going into the 9th have a 96% win pct. Teams prior to that and/or not using a closer had a 96% win pct. That's right, exactly the same. Going into the 8th the win pct. both ways was 83%. Obviously I'm not going to verify this (Thorne's word is good enough for me) but it seems to confirm the opinion of many 'round here that a closer is a waste of talent.
7/11/2012 9:04 AM
gary thorne's a ********. he used to suck being bill clement's partner during nhl games years ago
7/11/2012 9:06 AM
and i walked by him once. i was going into the boston garden (whatever name it had at the time) and he was walking out. he's a little annoying man.
7/11/2012 9:07 AM
It's not a waste of talent in HBD, it usually a waste of innings.   Closers, who are usually your best short RP, might pitch 50-60 innings.   Most can handle twice that amount.   Why limit your best short RP to half his possible innings?
7/11/2012 9:08 AM
Posted by dlmose on 7/11/2012 9:04:00 AM (view original):
This morning during the all star game, Gary Thorne said that some stat nerd had researched the role of the closer in MLB all the way back to 1900. His findings indicate that since its inception, teams using a closer and leading going into the 9th have a 96% win pct. Teams prior to that and/or not using a closer had a 96% win pct. That's right, exactly the same. Going into the 8th the win pct. both ways was 83%. Obviously I'm not going to verify this (Thorne's word is good enough for me) but it seems to confirm the opinion of many 'round here that a closer is a waste of talent.
I've heard the same thing in the past, pretty much the same numbers.

The bottom line is that, with rare exception, closers don't provide nearly as much value as they are given credit for.  The "save" as a statistic is pretty much a joke as it has become the tail wagging the dog in terms of how MLB managers utilize their bullpens in the late innings of games.

And as MikeT has pointed out, in HBD it's usually a wasted role as too many guys relegated to the closer roie leave too many unpitched innings on the table as they are almost always underutilized.

I've gone away from the closer role on all my HBD teams, I just put my best relievers as SuA guys.
7/11/2012 9:20 AM
This is not a news flash:  the save is worthless as a measure of pitcher effectiveness but worth a lot as a measure of future salary.  High leverage situations should be handled by your best relief pitchers, whether in HBD or MLB or, I suppose, little league.   
7/11/2012 10:03 AM
I think there's a mental aspect to "closing".   Not just from the pitcher or his team but from the other team.   Over the last couple of seasons, David Robertson has been just as effective as Rivera.   But do you think teams felt "We need to score one now because getting one off Robertson is gonna be tough"?  Of course, there's no such thing in HBD.
7/11/2012 10:55 AM
7/11/2012 10:58 AM
Posted by mchalesarmy on 7/11/2012 10:58:00 AM (view original):
Guilty pleasure show. The new one was out on Monday. Only 5 episodes left.
7/11/2012 11:12 AM
People watch TNT?  Hah.  You lie!
7/11/2012 12:08 PM
Posted by a_ersberg on 7/11/2012 12:08:00 PM (view original):
They know drama.
7/11/2012 12:26 PM
TNT.  Great song from this album:

7/11/2012 1:08 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/11/2012 1:08:00 PM (view original):
TNT.  Great song from this album:

oi oi oi oi oi oi oi oi oi oi oi oi oi oi oi
7/11/2012 1:27 PM
HAHA

When my 8 yr old first heard that song (about 3 yrs ago?), he asked me why someone made a song about a television channel.
7/11/2012 2:17 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/11/2012 10:55:00 AM (view original):
I think there's a mental aspect to "closing".   Not just from the pitcher or his team but from the other team.   Over the last couple of seasons, David Robertson has been just as effective as Rivera.   But do you think teams felt "We need to score one now because getting one off Robertson is gonna be tough"?  Of course, there's no such thing in HBD.
Managers manage according to perception with Name guys though, Robertson could be twice the pitcher Rivera was, but the opposing manager would still justify doing something dumb, because Rivera was coming up the next inning, regardless of how well Rivera was actually performing.
7/11/2012 5:47 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.