Position player with extremely low durability? Topic

I've seen quite a few pitchers with durability in the teens and single digits, and there has been quite a bit of discussion in these forums on the best way to use them.  But this is something I've never before seen (or at least never noticed).  In Clemente, our amateur draft is Sunday, and one of the prospects is a HS position player.

My high school scouting budget is $16 million.  He projects well enough in most areas to the point where he'd normally be a guaranteed first round pick.  But his durability, as a POSITION PLAYER mind you, is presently at 3, and it doesn't project much better.  What good is a non-pitcher with durability that low?  It's so low that its bringing his current OVR down to where it is currently the lowest OVR I've ever seen, despite solid current ratings everywhere else.  Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?  How can a guy like this ever possibly get enough at-bats to even develop?

(EDITED to remove link to the player.  I wasn't aware that people that couldn't see his ratings would still be able to rank him.)

7/12/2012 6:25 PM (edited)
Ouch. I wouldn't draft him. If you do use him as a PH or play him until his arm falls off. I wonder how a player hits at 0 (0)?
7/12/2012 3:28 PM

It has been my observation, that, for the most part, the fatigue effects defense far more than offense.

As to the development issue: As long as you play him as often as possible he should develop just fine. Having said that, he would be pretty far down my list, as it'd be tough to justify a top 10 pick on a guy that might get 50 PA per season.

7/12/2012 3:55 PM
I'm in the world and my HS budget is slightly higher....but the draft hasn't taken place so I won't comment.  =)
7/12/2012 4:11 PM
Yeah, I thought about that. But the way I see it, those that can see the player are able to see his durability. Those that can't see him can't rank him anyway. I brought it up here because its so strange. It's the lowest DUR for a position player I've ever seen...by a wide, WIDE margin.
7/12/2012 4:29 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by volk on 7/12/2012 4:29:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, I thought about that. But the way I see it, those that can see the player are able to see his durability. Those that can't see him can't rank him anyway. I brought it up here because its so strange. It's the lowest DUR for a position player I've ever seen...by a wide, WIDE margin.
Some people can see him but did not scout them and therefore now have more information than they did before. With that kind of durability limitation it is unlikely that many will move him up very far up their boards, but you still just provided a condensed scouting report on a guy who some might never have ranked outside of his sim-generated ranking.
7/12/2012 5:50 PM
I'd prefer him to anyone who projected as a 24th-25th man but would prefer anyone who projects as a starter to him, and rank him accordingly.

If his health is very high and you usually run high training and medical, I might experiment with running him down to a very low fatigue while you're developing him, like maybe 1%.  What have you got to lose?  You don't care about how badly he plays in the minors due to fatigue; as long as he doesn't get hurt you're happy, and even a couple of 15-day injuries a season is OK.  And if you can develop him to his projections he's an excellent 25th man, a pinch-hitter/defensive replacement 3rd catcher who becomes your starter in the playoffs. 

And imagine how much fun he would be if he got a DitR, which he could with that OVR.

7/12/2012 6:17 PM
Posted by tedwmoore on 7/12/2012 5:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by volk on 7/12/2012 4:29:00 PM (view original):
Some people can see him but did not scout them and therefore now have more information than they did before. With that kind of durability limitation it is unlikely that many will move him up very far up their boards, but you still just provided a condensed scouting report on a guy who some might never have ranked outside of his sim-generated ranking.
I wasn't aware of that. Let me edit the original post.

Also, I just did submit a ticket, just in case it IS a glitch.

Lastly, in my "Top 500", it appears I've scouted 443 players, so I now know that I can see 57 players that I did not scout (their ratings all appear as "?").  However, every single one of those players is a pitcher, because it appears the sim just naturally orders PITCHERS FIRST once you reach the end of the scouted players.  Because of this, I'm not so sure that people who did not scout the position player in question really are able to rank him, since you can only see 500 players and he's not a pitcher.

But in case I'm wrong, or in case people that CAN see him but spent much less in HS scouting are showing him projected to 80 DUR (up from his current rating of 3) or some other unattainable number, I'll still edit the original post.
7/12/2012 6:44 PM (edited)
I think you should draft him and give us a daily report on him. 
7/12/2012 8:19 PM
He's in my to 500, and I hope to take 2 at his position, so you never know.  I'll definitely update periodically if he goes to me. :-)
7/12/2012 8:58 PM
Posted by dedelman on 7/12/2012 6:17:00 PM (view original):
I'd prefer him to anyone who projected as a 24th-25th man but would prefer anyone who projects as a starter to him, and rank him accordingly.

If his health is very high and you usually run high training and medical, I might experiment with running him down to a very low fatigue while you're developing him, like maybe 1%.  What have you got to lose?  You don't care about how badly he plays in the minors due to fatigue; as long as he doesn't get hurt you're happy, and even a couple of 15-day injuries a season is OK.  And if you can develop him to his projections he's an excellent 25th man, a pinch-hitter/defensive replacement 3rd catcher who becomes your starter in the playoffs. 

And imagine how much fun he would be if he got a DitR, which he could with that OVR.

Won't need to, he'll develop fine with the 50 or so AB he can handle at 100%. I have a guy with 8 DUR, and he was fine with 100 AB or so a year.
7/13/2012 4:58 AM
Posted by boogerlips on 7/12/2012 5:45:00 PM (view original):
I'd send a ticket and ask if thats a glitch or something intended.
Looks like it IS a glitch. CS thanked me for bringing it to their attention and they would make adjustments for a future release.
7/13/2012 5:39 PM
Volk, was it Cesar Vargas, the Catcher?  If so, I drafted him 353rd.  Switch hitting masher with hitting ratings in the 90's across the board, with a PC of 89 too.  His durability looks to max at about 5.

If I get lucky, maybe a DITR will boost that to a manageable number, if not, he won't be doing much.
7/15/2012 11:43 AM
That's the guy. If you get a DITR out of him, he'll be the draft steal of all time, seeing as you got him in Round 11.  Just a shame that for now, those ratings are wasted on a guy with such low DUR. Especially considering CS acknowledged that its a glitch that never should have happened that way.
7/15/2012 1:57 PM
12 Next ▸
Position player with extremely low durability? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.