Critical news debate Topic

Posted by arcticlegend on 5/7/2015 3:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by overeasy on 5/7/2015 3:43:00 PM (view original):
  • A new, fuzzier projected rating system will be introduced for high school, college and international scouting.*
This is the one that seems like the most concerning.  How fuzzy are we talking?  Do we suddenly start drafting first rounders or paying big money to IFAs and have them turn out to be busts even with high draft or IFA scouting budgets?

I hope so. That'd make this game a lot more like actual baseball. We need a few more Delmon Youngs - players who go #1 overall but turn out to be pretty worthless.

Also, for accuracy's sake, the players should commit drunken hate crimes on occasion.
The difference is that in real baseball, you don't know pretty much what a 30 year old player would do. You do in this game. So there's not a ton of benefit to rolling the dice and spending money on HS or COL scouting when you can just move that $ into FA spending, where you know exactly what you'd get.
5/7/2015 3:48 PM
I agree with the drunken hate crimes, by the way.
I like the changes for the IFA's and DITR's also.  I think all the changes are good, and add to the game.  Hopefully they work on fixing the injury recovery also.
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/7/2015 3:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by arcticlegend on 5/7/2015 3:44:00 PM (view original):
  • A new, fuzzier projected rating system will be introduced for high school, college and international scouting.*
This is the one that seems like the most concerning.  How fuzzy are we talking?  Do we suddenly start drafting first rounders or paying big money to IFAs and have them turn out to be busts even with high draft or IFA scouting budgets?

I hope so. That'd make this game a lot more like actual baseball. We need a few more Delmon Youngs - players who go #1 overall but turn out to be pretty worthless.

Also, for accuracy's sake, the players should commit drunken hate crimes on occasion.
The difference is that in real baseball, you don't know pretty much what a 30 year old player would do. You do in this game. So there's not a ton of benefit to rolling the dice and spending money on HS or COL scouting when you can just move that $ into FA spending, where you know exactly what you'd get.
The difference is if 26 owners are putting money in FA spending.    Everyone can't get the best FA available. 
5/7/2015 3:49 PM
I'm all about this. Nicely done WIS (hopefully). It'll suck coming off the 0 in ADV, but its looks like this should add more spice and variety to the game. 

In reference to an enhanced HoF, I really hope that means that they will actually show the position the player played in their career instead of a HoF full of LF, 1B, DH even though he actually played 2B or SS or whatever and just moved to LF for the last season of his career. 
5/7/2015 3:49 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/7/2015 3:48:00 PM (view original):
I agree with the drunken hate crimes, by the way.
I suggested many years ago that there should be the occasional PED suspension for players.  With the associated salary relief.
5/7/2015 3:50 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 3:46:00 PM (view original):

Hopefully, it's A-F or 1-8 instead of exact numbers.    1 would 88-100, for instance, instead of 93.

I don't think we're talking about seeing a future HOFer, with high ADV, and having a LoA career.

That would cause a lot of people to either quit or just punt player development.   And that would be the death of HBD.
I hope that is where they are headed. Otherwise it encourages everyone to drop all scouting to 0 and have $140M payroll teams.
5/7/2015 3:51 PM

Hopefully, it's A-F or 1-8 instead of exact numbers.    1 would 88-100, for instance, instead of 93.

I don't think we're talking about seeing a future HOFer, with high ADV, and having a LoA career.

That would cause a lot of people to either quit or just punt player development.   And that would be the death of HBD.
Are you saying 1 = 88-100 EVEN FOR YOUR OWN PLAYERS?

I mean there's a heck of a lot of difference between 88 and 96...

5/7/2015 3:51 PM
Hopefully the fuzziness will lead to later round picks being decent players with a shot at ML level.  Might put a little more fun into the draft, and it'd be nice to have teams actually sign their picks instead of passing on signing any of them.  Helps build the minor league inventory when they get released.
5/7/2015 3:53 PM
Posted by themergerguy on 5/7/2015 3:51:00 PM (view original):

Are you saying 1 = 88-100 EVEN FOR YOUR OWN PLAYERS?

I mean there's a heck of a lot of difference between 88 and 96...

Projections, yes.

If you disagree, I'm sure you know that Mark McGwire wasn't a 95 power on a scouting report out of HS.

5/7/2015 3:54 PM
Yeah I thought that was the point of the fuzz - every unknown (undrafted) player is fuzzy.
5/7/2015 3:57 PM
Well, it's about time they tried to address the zero budget strategy. I hated that people were zeroing out their advanced budgets. But being that it was the only way to compete with those teams, I followed suit. This update won't make a lot of difference to the zero advanced budget teams though, IMO. It does make a huge impact on draft and IFA budgets. I always have a decent draft budget, so I'm looking forward to it maybe helping my team more. I'll just leave my advanced scouting at zero and instead of trading my vets for prospects, I'll let them walk for supplemental picks. I don't trade a lot to begin with, and I don't care as much about my own prospects projections as I do about their current ratings. The biggest difference in that regard is that it will be difficult to evaluate other teams trades. Might end up seeing more vetoes taking place. Or maybe nine at all. :>
5/7/2015 3:57 PM
You should still be able to see a prospect's current rating.  I have no idea how a scout could not see how a prospect in HS/COL is right at the moment but be able to create a projection for him?
5/7/2015 3:59 PM
"A new, fuzzier projected rating system will be introduced for high school, college and international scouting.*

So only Projected, and only for COLL, HS and IFA. ADV should remain the same.
5/7/2015 4:00 PM
Sort of defeats the purpose of using $$$ to scout domestic/IFA if you know their currents.  
5/7/2015 4:01 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.