Releasing a player Topic

If I release a player in Season 1 and that player has a mutual option in his contract for Season 2... will I be on the hook for the entire Season 2 amount, or only the portion that is actually guaranteed, like I declined his option?
4/24/2016 11:51 PM
The entire amount. Releasing is almost always a thing to avoid.
4/25/2016 6:14 AM
I don't believe that's right.
4/25/2016 6:53 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/25/2016 6:53:00 AM (view original):
I don't believe that's right.
Yeah I don't think I had my coffee yet. I still stand by the comments about releasing, however.
4/25/2016 8:00 AM
That part is correct. Releasing is a final option in pretty much every case. And, in most cases, it's not even an option.
4/25/2016 8:20 AM
This is actually one of the only two situations where releasing a player makes sense (the other is if you don't want to go to arb with him).

When you release a player with a mutual option in the following season, you are immediately charged the option decline amount for that following season-- NOT the entire amount of the contract. If you need to free up salary at the end of a season to re-sign an impending free agent, this will work to do that, and all you lose is the right to re-sign the player you released during the re-signing period next season.
4/25/2016 4:28 PM
Posted by dedelman on 4/25/2016 4:28:00 PM (view original):
This is actually one of the only two situations where releasing a player makes sense (the other is if you don't want to go to arb with him).

When you release a player with a mutual option in the following season, you are immediately charged the option decline amount for that following season-- NOT the entire amount of the contract. If you need to free up salary at the end of a season to re-sign an impending free agent, this will work to do that, and all you lose is the right to re-sign the player you released during the re-signing period next season.
Now THAT is interesting. I actually wanted to extend a guy, but didn't/couldn't because of that very issue. So to confirm, if I releases a Season 2 option guy at the end of Season 1, I immediately get the 75% of his contract off the books and can use that to extend a Season 2 FA?
4/25/2016 5:33 PM
Yes.
4/25/2016 6:02 PM
Damn, I actually learned something here.
4/25/2016 7:15 PM
That is a neat little trick for sure.
4/25/2016 11:04 PM
Thats exactly why I was asking.
4/25/2016 11:58 PM
Releasing a player Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.