The New Collective Bargaining Agreement and HBD Topic

Especially when the new CBA limits international spending to $5 million.
12/12/2016 2:47 AM
seems to me most new owners leave the game because it has a steep learning curve and is overwhelmingly complicated not because it doesn't mimic the CBA. Not sure including qualifying offers, another draft and a more complicated type A system really helps that.
12/13/2016 9:09 AM
Posted by crickett13 on 12/13/2016 9:09:00 AM (view original):
seems to me most new owners leave the game because it has a steep learning curve and is overwhelmingly complicated not because it doesn't mimic the CBA. Not sure including qualifying offers, another draft and a more complicated type A system really helps that.
Agreed. The toughest thing for me to talk friends into playing the game is the complexity and enormity of the game (Although that is most user's favorite part)
12/13/2016 12:58 PM
So when does someone from WIS chime in on this? They had to have been talking about this for a while.
12/13/2016 2:05 PM
Posted by tmantom3285 on 12/13/2016 12:58:00 PM (view original):
Agreed. The toughest thing for me to talk friends into playing the game is the complexity and enormity of the game (Although that is most user's favorite part)
Using outdated rules doesn't get anybody new through the door. From the newbie's perspective, changing HBD to the new CBA does not add any complexity to the learning curve.
12/13/2016 9:42 PM
Posted by ttnorm on 12/13/2016 9:42:00 PM (view original):
Using outdated rules doesn't get anybody new through the door. From the newbie's perspective, changing HBD to the new CBA does not add any complexity to the learning curve.
But makes the overall game more complex..... For instance, if your threshold for a game is that you won't play anything over a 6/10 complexity and HBD is a 7/10; making it an 8/10 won't work.

or in other words, how many people do you think check out this game and decide not to play because it doesn't match the current CBA? My guess is that number is far less than the number of potential players who haven't heard of the game
12/14/2016 12:59 AM
No one decides to play based on the CBA.

Personally, I think the large scale market for this game is tapped. You'll find a new user here and there but a major change to match the current CBA isn't bringing in new customers. And I doubt it would run very many off. On the scale of "How to increase HBD membership", it doesn't even rank.
12/14/2016 8:29 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/14/2016 8:30:00 AM (view original):
No one decides to play based on the CBA.

Personally, I think the large scale market for this game is tapped. You'll find a new user here and there but a major change to match the current CBA isn't bringing in new customers. And I doubt it would run very many off. On the scale of "How to increase HBD membership", it doesn't even rank.
You may have a point but anyone in the long run, using long outdated baseball rules will prevent any possibility of new growth in the future. This is a legacy game only.
12/15/2016 7:32 AM
Posted by tmantom3285 on 12/14/2016 12:59:00 AM (view original):
Posted by ttnorm on 12/13/2016 9:42:00 PM (view original):
But makes the overall game more complex..... For instance, if your threshold for a game is that you won't play anything over a 6/10 complexity and HBD is a 7/10; making it an 8/10 won't work.

or in other words, how many people do you think check out this game and decide not to play because it doesn't match the current CBA? My guess is that number is far less than the number of potential players who haven't heard of the game
I don't see how it is more complicated for the newbie than learning the intricacies of what constitutes a Free Agent A & B comp pick. The new cap shortens the length of time and lowers the guesswork on who is signable and for how much. Pretty much everybody in the top 10 rounds signs in the new rules with very few exceptions because of the definable price tags. Sure it is complex but so were the old rules.

The other benefit is remove the top incentive for tanking. The caps will mean that there will be no need to keep absurdly low players payrolls.
12/15/2016 7:54 AM
This is how unimportant I see the new CBA as lure for new owners. It's not worth arguing over. No one is going to check out the site, look at HBD, dig into the CBA rules and say "OK, no thank you." They just aren't.

It would probably be a lot of work for WifS, benefit/placate current owners very little and draw in zero new owners.
12/15/2016 8:22 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/15/2016 8:22:00 AM (view original):
This is how unimportant I see the new CBA as lure for new owners. It's not worth arguing over. No one is going to check out the site, look at HBD, dig into the CBA rules and say "OK, no thank you." They just aren't.

It would probably be a lot of work for WifS, benefit/placate current owners very little and draw in zero new owners.
So don't argue!

I just think that avid baseball fans, the market for new players, care about and are much more knowledgeable about the rules. Most fans are wannabe GMs and know the basics. This game in its present outmoded iteration will turn them away.
12/15/2016 9:05 AM
It would be cool to open up the budgets a little more. If you limit international free-agent spending to $5M, combine the scouting budgets (HS, COLL, IFA) into one and boost the max to $30M to cover all three, and streamline the coach hiring (one hitting, pitching and bench coach for all levels, like the fielding instructor), it would open it up to more free-agent battles in the preseason.

Also, something needs to be done about minor-league free agents asking for $3M when they haven't played in the majors.
12/15/2016 11:59 PM
Posted by drummer_66 on 12/15/2016 11:59:00 PM (view original):
It would be cool to open up the budgets a little more. If you limit international free-agent spending to $5M, combine the scouting budgets (HS, COLL, IFA) into one and boost the max to $30M to cover all three, and streamline the coach hiring (one hitting, pitching and bench coach for all levels, like the fielding instructor), it would open it up to more free-agent battles in the preseason.

Also, something needs to be done about minor-league free agents asking for $3M when they haven't played in the majors.
The minor league free agent situation is worthless. I know there's some justification written somewhere about why it works the way it does, but all it really is, is a trap for noob players.

12/16/2016 7:22 AM
Posted by damag on 12/16/2016 7:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by drummer_66 on 12/15/2016 11:59:00 PM (view original):

The minor league free agent situation is worthless. I know there's some justification written somewhere about why it works the way it does, but all it really is, is a trap for noob players.

I don't understand how you call it "worthless." It renders some minor-league FAs as unsignable, newb owners notwithstanding.
12/17/2016 4:27 PM
◂ Prev 12
The New Collective Bargaining Agreement and HBD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.