Spring Training and Vets Topic

Over the years, I've always tried to get my vets on my BL team 20-25 abs and pitchers SP 10-15 innings of work, my question is......

1. Is there any benefit at all in putting a vet BL in spring training games? Qualifier: I'm defining a vet as a player 28 and older
2. I was under the impression that vets decline if not used in spring training......never tried...so is this true?
3. General thoughts on vets in spring training?

8/18/2017 11:13 AM
1. Slowing decline.
2. I had some take 2-3 point hits before I stopped NOT playing the 33-35 y/o guys.
3. I get them 10 AB, 3 appearances for pitchers.
8/18/2017 11:21 AM
Pretty simple, I let the vets play the first three or four games, all minor leaguers the middle ten or twelve, vets at the end again.
8/18/2017 12:59 PM
I let the guys who are going to be your starters play the first 7 (around 30 abs) then they rest and minor leaguers/ bench players fill in the rest of the way through. Pitching wise I let my SP get 2-3 starts... #1-2 get 2 starts then the other 3 get 3.... I'll let my RP get 3-4 innings and then rest them and let minor leaguers play the rest of Spring training... I use to play all starters and then SP with high pitch counts and once I quit and reverted to this formula it has helped my team stay FRESH LONGER and we've been much more successful as well as healthier
8/30/2017 4:26 AM
Tidbit from the FAQ:
Manager's Office What is the point of Spring Training? Spring training serves several different roles. 1: It allows players more time for development with the big league coaching staff. 2: It allows the owner to get a better feel for how HBD works and how his players fare against tougher competition. 3: It's definitely wise not to play your starters more than half a game because they will build up fatigue as the season progresses. Also, you'll want to make sure your pitch counts are lower during Spring Training so that your starting pitchers aren't going 7 innings (the recommendations do this automatically during spring training). 4: It's very similar to real life spring training in that you want your prospects to play more and you can also use the time to evaluate non-roster invitees and fringe-type players to see if they are worth keeping on the big league club or sending to the minors. 5: Spring training is also a good time to showcase potential trade bait, determine shortcomings for trade proposals, etc. At some point in the future, we'll be adding a rust-like component to the game so that if players don't get enough PT in spring training, they'll start off slow but it's not in the game yet.

#1 is good advice, the first part of #2 is good but obv only applies to new players, #3 is good advice for fatigue esp for position players, #4 is good advice about prospects but is redundant to #1, #5 isn't really a thing and the reference to "adding a rust-like component" makes me laugh. Like damag said it's better to play the ML guys only at the beginning and then switching to prospects and minor leaguers as it gets to the end. (The main reason is for injury purposes, whether you have low medical or high medical.... I'm a 20 medical guy so I'm actually hoping for a minor injury or two so that I can capitalize on a 60-day recovery cycle that only overlaps with 35 days of the regular season instead of the full 60. Delivers ratings value without sacrificing man-games. But if you're a low medical guy you obviously don't ever want injuries so it's smart to insulate them and reduce risk)

8/30/2017 4:48 PM
I like to get vets 20 PA, and 1 start, I don't limit their PC so they could get 7-8 innings, 110 pitches. Not just vets, if they will be SP at the ML level just one start.
9/1/2017 4:36 AM
Spring Training and Vets Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.