Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

On a big, BIG picture level, I've always kind of wondered what kind of thinking went into Player Generation and Distribution when this game was built.
We've seen that max scouting only gets you access to less than 100% of prospects.
We've seen draft/IFA classes which vary between great and terrible. And if you're anything like me, you've wondered about the frequency of those.
You end up with worlds where the talent levels rise and fall over long periods of time, and for the most part, driven by the owners' strategies in building their teams, the talent base has been equitably distributed.
So I've wondered what kind of thought, if any, went into that beyond just setting random parameters and letting the chips fall.

3/24/2023 8:43 AM
Ya its wild I have been in worlds where there were lots of real high-end talent and others with all mediocre players.
3/24/2023 12:52 PM
I was kind of thinking what if they gave every team so many ratings points and you allocated them to your players however you wished and possibly got a little more or less based on success.
3/24/2023 12:54 PM
Posted by brianp87 on 3/24/2023 12:54:00 PM (view original):
I was kind of thinking what if they gave every team so many ratings points and you allocated them to your players however you wished and possibly got a little more or less based on success.
Neat idea, but id just build a super team of platoon hitters and relief pitchers that are low cost. I do wish you could do more focused training or coaching, though. A 95 power guy should be able to get to 99 power with a little extra money placed in focused training. That 82 range CF should be able to get up to 86 range with a little extra money placed in focused training.
3/24/2023 1:54 PM
It would be kool to see how each person tried to build there teams and how they viewed ratings.
3/24/2023 3:43 PM
I always thought an international system that’s like Hoops Dynasty would be cool. You get to pick the countries and types of scouting (camps, individual, etc). It would be more realistic too, as every MLB team scouts internationally at least a little. Same thing with the draft too. I feel like now putting anything less than 10 (if that) is fairly useless. But In this kind of system you would just focus on less areas (rather than your scouting being murkier).

While you’re at it, you could take another cue from hoops and give people the current ratings of a player, with the potential of each rating determined by how many times you scout a player.
3/24/2023 5:43 PM
As a newbie and still very "wet behind the ears" I am entering my first Spring Training in HBD. I have a team that has a high payroll, as we have many players in their prime. I heard that at bats in the spring go toward a players durability. What is a good number of at bats to give them so I do not over use them and risk injury. This would go for pitchers as well. My training budget is maxed and my medical is 15 million. Most of my players are below the age of 31 if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any answers or help.
4/1/2023 5:50 PM (edited)
Posted by SunDevil0413 on 4/1/2023 5:50:00 PM (view original):
As a newbie and still very "wet behind the ears" I am entering my first Spring Training in HBD. I have a team that has a high payroll, as we have many players in their prime. I heard that at bats in the spring go toward a players durability. What is a good number of at bats to give them so I do not over use them and risk injury. This would go for pitchers as well. My training budget is maxed and my medical is 15 million. Most of my players are below the age of 31 if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any answers or help.
I personally play my ML batters about 10 to 12 PA then put them on rest the rest of Spring Training. I use the other time to get my MiL batters playing time.
4/1/2023 11:49 PM
Posted by joekendall on 4/1/2023 11:49:00 PM (view original):
I personally play my ML batters about 10 to 12 PA then put them on rest the rest of Spring Training. I use the other time to get my MiL batters playing time.
Same. And my pitchers all get 30 pitches max. Major leaguers go on rest after one turn through the rotation.

4/2/2023 8:08 AM
IMO it's based entirely on your ML roster. If you have a team of mostly 25-32 year olds, play them sparingly as suggested above. Really nothing good can come from having them in ST. If you have players that can still make gains, you play them a little more. You also want to "protect" your top end talent and give them less exposure.
4/2/2023 11:03 AM
I am glad someone asked this question. I was recently told by a couple veterans in the game to give them 40-50 at bats and give the pitchers about 8-10 outings. I was told that they needed this to "keep fresh" for spring training. I was worried about injuries and them getting hurt .
4/2/2023 1:49 PM
I am pretty lazy in regard to ST. I usually let my ml guys play a few games like 3-4 and pitchers I curb their pitch count back on starters and just try to get them all 5-10 innings. Age is irrelevant.
4/5/2023 3:53 PM
Posted by Buckaroo23 on 4/2/2023 1:49:00 PM (view original):
I am glad someone asked this question. I was recently told by a couple veterans in the game to give them 40-50 at bats and give the pitchers about 8-10 outings. I was told that they needed this to "keep fresh" for spring training. I was worried about injuries and them getting hurt .
that's way too many ABs IMO. I'm more concerned about durability down the stretch when I have a playoff caliber team. I'd rather have them use those ABs in the regular season at 100% than use the in pre-season. I've seen no correlation between ST ABs and production during the regular season.

4/5/2023 4:35 PM
MikeT always said 25 AB's for vets and 5 appearances for pitchers. I don't know if its true or not but I always go off of that. Then the young guys get all the rest of spring training.
4/6/2023 9:38 AM
Posted by hockey1984 on 4/6/2023 9:38:00 AM (view original):
MikeT always said 25 AB's for vets and 5 appearances for pitchers. I don't know if its true or not but I always go off of that. Then the young guys get all the rest of spring training.
I have never seen anecdotally where a player seemed to suffer because he didn't get enough ABs in spring training in the regular season nor have I tried to study it. I doubt WifS ever coded in anything to degrade a player's performance at the start of the season due to inadequate ABs in spring training though. Seems like too much effort for not a great gain.
4/6/2023 12:16 PM
◂ Prev 1...104|105|106|107|108...112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.