D3 Gameplanning & Recruiting Topic

OR
Two things that I have finally learned are CONSERVE YOUR MONEY and PATIENCE.
Wonder who taught me that?..
Most people dont buy the first car they see, they kick the tires.
It is especiallt true in recruiting dont get in a recruiting battle for a 395 player.
Wait til after signing period for better players to become avaiable
Have come a long way from spending over 5,000 for Steve Timmmons who by his senior year was backing up a soph PG guard because he had 35 speed, and the soph has 68 speed.
Great idea and thread as always
5/2/2007 11:40 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By oldresorter on 5/02/2007
PLAYER SELECTION - RATING
There are a near infinite number of issues and tricks....& remember, this is written more for the novice than the expert. Here are a couple to start you off with. You need to develop more and more tricks on your own each season you recruit!
#1 - Go after only 2 types of players (guards and posts). Do not recruit SF's, they are hard to pick & hard to get if worth picking. When developing dynasties, I often used the SF as a place to give my promised frosh "start" away, either a post or a guard. Most my early West Conn teams had a frosh guard or post at SF.
#2 - Go after the base skills for each type - post (RB/LP) and guard (PER/BH/PA)
#3 - Subtract DU from the player total, then evaluate the player. There is no real difference between a 401/ 1 DU player and a 461/61 DU, unless they get hurt, which is pretty unlikely.
#4 - consider all other skills a luxary, get all you can, but insist on the "basics" first.
I think the number one fault I see in rookie coaches in this area of discussion is the recruitment of SF's....
I would like to throw into this discussion, when in doubt, go with the highest WE player available. If you can find a player with average skills and a 80 WE, versus a player with very good skills and a 30 WE, take the guy with the 80 WE. In the long run, that player will be better in their Jr & Sr seasons.
5/2/2007 10:52 PM
To add to the wisdom displayed here by oldresorter (which is something like giving a Micaelangelo a touch up):
ATH and SPE seem to be the stats that make a good player great, and a great player unbelievable. Personally, I will not recruit ANY player that does not have easily improvble stats in these areas (25+).
Stamina is like durability. When evaluating players, I also subtract stamina from their totals. Considering the premium I put on SPE and ATH, I will undoubtedly put a lot of practice minutes into Conditioning, which will improve stamina and durability anyway. I will take lower core stats if I can get better SPE and ATH. These stats improve slower than core stats -- saves lots of development time if you can get them high to start.
Get guys that know either your offense or defense already (preferably both). Their IQ will be a year ahead than if they did not know that offense or defense at all.
Guys that can hit FTs already are nice. High school FT shooting % is often an overlooked factor. Considering how important a good FT shooting team is (critical!), you can save yourself a lot of practice time if you pay attention to this as well.
As far as base skills for post players go, I think that Rebounding is considerably more important than LP. Better rebounding = more possessions and more possessions = goodness.
For the SF position, I also like a good rebounder. I tend to look for balanced LP/PER skills, but REB is still the most important factor in my book for the entire frontcourt.
As far as WE goes, I will second icouldbelion's opinion on the value of WE. If you are trying to build a dynasty, WE will really come into play -- particular for that freshman that you redshirt and then start for four years.
Thanks much oldresorter for all of your contributions to the game. I read many of your posts (as well as a few others) when I was a newbie and it made the game much more enjoyable. Good job.
5/6/2007 9:33 PM
A couple of helpers from me- (no expert)

1- all catergories under 20 won't go up (or enough to plan on). Remember that. Sometimes a guy with 22-25's in a lot of other catergories and a lower 'core' number (by about 10) will be a better long term player.

2. I only do SF's as Jucos or transfers. I find a jr. or sr. SF that comes in can contribute, usually as the starter or 1st SF off the bench. Underclassmen- too many catergories of practice unless they're special.

3. Know your system, team and needs. With a M2M defense, NEVER recruit someone with a D below 20, and look hard at below 30 at DIII. If you run a break or press, even a C with 1 ATH and SPD isn't a good option. Look two years down the road- what holes will I have? Recruit to fill those holes, not immediate 3rd stringers. Know your team- recruit guys that will give other coaches headaches- if you have a Soph at a position, try and find a backup that is opposite him to make his Sr year (recruits Jr) one where you can use different looks, and keep them on their heels.

4. DROP DOWNS, DROP DOWNS, DROP DOWNS. Understand that better players WILL drop from DII. These may not be ones you have targeted. Because of this, I suggest waiting until late on Day 2, if possible, to recruit. This keeps you from getting into battles (especially ones you can't win), gives you a small picture on drop downs, and allows you to not waste as much cash feeling out players that get snagged by great DIII or DII programs.

5. No question is a stupid question. There is a lot of help (most if it better than mine) in these forums. Use it. Ask in a thread. Sitemail one of those hall-of-famers. Trust me, a little advice from just one great coach will take your game up two notches.
5/9/2007 2:11 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
5/9/2007 1:50 PM
I'm not offended, just surprised that you mentioned me!

I do agree it's a strong strategy in this game because a lot of team success over the long-term is being able to successfully develop your players. The difference between a DIII freshman and a DIII senior (and even a low DI freshman vs. low DI senior) is tremendous.

I think something like a 1-5-1-5 split seems ideal, because you can be successful every year while making a deep run every other year. 11 or 12 seniors in one class looks better than it actually is, because the extra depth has diminishing returns.
5/9/2007 2:57 PM
Some good info in there, the only difference I can find is that I love the SFs in HD. They can be very tough to find and develop in D3, but a good one can really cause the opposition fits as a SF can take it both inside & out. Once they get their IQs up (around their Junior season) I've noticed that SFs tend to play above their relative skill level. However, with a poor IQ, they seem to struggle more than other positions. Therefor, I prefer to plan for a JR/SR sf starter, with a FR/Soph backup.
W/ the recent changes to recruiting, intial skill level of recruits, you almost have to wait and hope for a decent drop down at SF. The initial SF available in D3 are typically pretty bad. For a dynasty, I always look to redshirt SFs when possible. I feel like that 5th year of development help them out more than other positions as there is so much for a SF to work on.
Of course if one was to compare my NT resume w/ OR's, then perhaps it would be wise to follow OR's method :)
5/10/2007 3:55 PM
I too really like SFs. It is true that it is the hardest position to find good players but a good SF is a great thing to have. Both of my DIII championships I heavily relied on SFs.
5/11/2007 3:04 PM
Thanks for posting this OR. With all the new coaches, it provides those with less experience a chance to learn from one of the greats in HD. I agree with you about the SF position. Though as you gain experience a really good SF can make a huge difference. There just aren't that many though.
5/13/2007 3:16 PM
What about ineligible players? Why would you recruit them, and how do they become eligible in the future? What are the chances that they will never be eligible?
6/1/2007 1:53 PM
IF you are division 3, they are eligible from day one. Normally need 17-20 minutes study hall.
Why you recruit them? They have a rating core that you like and cannot find find in Division Three prospects..
Division 2, never recruited one.
6/1/2007 1:59 PM
What is the cheapest way to sign an uncontested long distance recruit?
6/1/2007 3:40 PM
I suppose $100, but I have done it for $120, 20 minutes, a start and a scholy
6/1/2007 4:49 PM
So you dont even need a face to face visit?
6/1/2007 5:25 PM
i don't think so, been a while since I did it that way, but >>>>
6/1/2007 7:26 PM
1|2|3...11 Next ▸
D3 Gameplanning & Recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.