Why merge? 19 owners want to join your league now Topic

An idea that had it's genesis here: http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=479707&TopicsTimeframe=180&TopicsPage=3
has been proposed to existing owners of Mantle, Cooperstown and Moonlight Graham, and we have a core of 19 that are willing to join a league struggling to fill and willing to accept the following private league rules;

Each team will be allowed to keep a maximum of 20 players on the 40 man roster. 

Your 20 man roster would be achieved by;

DFA with waivers (minors or majors)
Release (either minors or arb eligible MLers)
Signed MLers not assigned to the 25 man

This set up is similar to many perpetual fantasy leagues where you are allowed only to protect a portion of your team year to year, and the remainder of the team is drafted each season.

The Rule 5 draft, waiver wire and free agency thus becomes the method to fill out most or all of your remaining 40 man roster (since the DFAd players will have not had cleared waivers and thus be Rule 5 draft eligible)

There will be other specific rules and management tools
-sitemail and world chat reminder to DFA, not release players
-sitemail and world chat reminder to complete Rule 5 draft settings first (including increasing max salary per player from default $327k and max number drafted from default 0) before setting your Rule 5 draft pool order.
-penalties for non-compliance (DFA one extra player for each kept over 20, league expulsion for keeping 25 or more)

Rules around MWR, cash in trade, etc can be voted by league member majority, or possibly incorporation of existing private league rules into the Keeper league rule.

What is needed is the following

More external owners willing to join the core listed below
Existing league with enough owners willing to accept the private league rule above to fill the league successfully.

I figure a combination of 36 owners, combined existing league and core owners below, are required to move forward (to allow for attrition)

Any question, feel free to sitemail me.

Core owners;
deathinahole
indiansrck27
ratfink99
thegrklgnd
bkpeters
felix817
runrunn
njohnson78
tecwrg
wcrebel
Ramonshaw
 jkenned
cp49 (November or later)
taz21
cougdawg
rockindock
xarsis
silentpadna
kenter16
10/26/2014 11:05 PM (edited)
To clarify a site mail question;
Not a brand new league. Basically, looking to save an existing league who's willing to buy into the rule, and because of the rule, it should eliminate any existing competitive imbalance because of the keep only 20 rule (probably in a couple of seasons)

The 36 owners total would be waitlist + existing league members willing to stay under the new rules.

This thread will also accept anyone wanting to join the waitlist,

10/1/2014 6:27 PM
Another sitemail question(s)

The "20 man roster" would be every season, not just the first.
10/1/2014 8:28 PM
We now have 13 willing to join.
At current, a league that has 19 existing owners willing to accept this rule would be full.

10/8/2014 10:38 AM
We're up to 14, and fair warning alert;

It should be noted that min roster size on a ML roster is 20. Which means the strategy becomes one or some of the following;

-Allowing the ML Roster size to get below 20 on rollover. If that happens, you can have at the minor league 40 man roster, and it won't make you bring the ML roster up to 20.
-If you want to designate the ML roster above 20 down to below 20, simmy won't let you, but you still can promote minors up to the ML, This might mean promoting someone earlier than you want.
-You can release arb eligible players to get the roster size below 20. You can decline options to get below 20

+ a few other tricks and things we'd learn after a few seasons.

I'm laying this out because I don't want anyone surprised by it when it starts. It also means a whole new strategy around contract length, arb eligibility, mutual options, etc etc.
10/9/2014 3:01 PM
What happens if a world says "Yeah, we're in" and then say "Yeah, screw you.  We're gonna do what we want.   Thanks for filling the world, hoser, eh?"
10/9/2014 3:05 PM
sounds like 18 boots to me. Read the private league rules, eh!
10/9/2014 3:06 PM
I ask because I was asked to commish a world.  I agreed if they were willing to go by a handful of rules.   One was broken and I said "Hey, that **** doesn't float."    The offending owner, and half the world I didn't fill, said "Oh, it's only................lighten up."    So, really, they didn't want to improve their world so rollovers would be quick, they just wanted to fill it.
10/9/2014 3:07 PM
Rules are rules.If they make it a private league rule, one points at the private league rule and says "CS, boot that *** out".
10/9/2014 3:09 PM
Nay! Boot 18 of them out!
10/9/2014 3:09 PM
I'd contact Banks and Jaha.  Only private worlds with double digit openings.
10/9/2014 3:18 PM
Banks already rejected. Jaha on the list to be connected. From the chatter, I don't think the number = the actual amount they need, but I'm starting to think it might be.
10/9/2014 3:22 PM
Count me as interested...

Reading the rules above, I assume perhaps you get booted, but what happens if something in real life comes up and you can't log in for those 2 days prior to the Rule 5 draft?
10/9/2014 3:34 PM
Yea, it would have to be a hard application of the rule. Only way to make it work.

Yer on the list.
10/9/2014 3:42 PM
Add me as # 16  D-I-A-H.
10/9/2014 5:26 PM
12345 Next ▸
Why merge? 19 owners want to join your league now Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.