Moral Obligation? Topic

Well, I tried to leave names out of this just so it wouldn't devolve into... well this. I guess I should have known better. First, let me say that I don't believe Only is a cheater. There are a bunch of ways he could have scouted him with his PA team and not his WA team, and as I said at the start I have no evidence he did anything wrong. I do believe (as most the rest of the community seems to) that if you have 2 IDs in the same world (not against the rules) that you should take extra caution not to overlap recruiting areas even if you legitimately find players in the other team's recruiting area, which was the only question I really tried to pose in the original thread.
4/2/2017 8:58 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/2/2017 8:20:00 PM (view original):
As best I can tell, only two people don't see a problem. The cheater and his pal.
People may see a problem (like me) but I don't think Only cheated. Those are very different statements.
4/2/2017 8:58 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 4/2/2017 8:58:00 PM (view original):
As best I can tell, only two people don't see a problem. The cheater and his pal.
People may see a problem (like me) but I don't think Only cheated. Those are very different statements.
I don't think he cheated. I think he needs to drop his second ID and be clear of suspicions. Two IDS is unacceptable in 3.0.. It just is too tempting.
4/2/2017 9:01 PM
Posted by zorzii on 4/2/2017 9:01:00 PM (view original):
I don't think he cheated. I think he needs to drop his second ID and be clear of suspicions. Two IDS is unacceptable in 3.0.. It just is too tempting.
My thoughts as well.
4/2/2017 9:04 PM
Posted by zorzii on 4/2/2017 9:01:00 PM (view original):
There is absolutely no reason to believe he didn't cheat. It's pretty apparent what happened in this single instance. As previously mentioned, he could have been doing it for several seasons. In fact, it could work the other way too. He could scout D1 players, locally, with his D3 school and recruit with his D1 school. No reason to believe he hasn't. Someone with time on their hands could cross-reference his rosters in all 3 worlds and see how many times it's happened.
4/2/2017 10:41 PM
"As best I can tell, only two people don't see a problem. The cheater and his pal."

Yup. I wonder why.

Actually, that's not true, I don't wonder why.
4/3/2017 12:04 AM
Only, did you even scout Canada with your D1 team?
4/3/2017 1:11 AM
Two ID's in the same world should not be allowed. For anybody, across the board. Doesn't matter if a couple of others vouch for the guy. Can't believe this is being defended by some.

On a related note, i recently noticed that the ghostship Angmar pulled into some random port. I've forgotten in what world and in which port.
4/3/2017 2:03 AM (edited)
As someone mentioned earlier, it's not like you just "forget" who you scouted regardless of username. I find a lot of guys with my Smith team(D3) that I can't recruit. Now, if I had a school in D1, I wouldn't just forget that 38 ranked PG. I'd know he's in WY and I'd know a couple of D2 schools were after him. I'd know, with proper effort, that I could take him. If my D1 needed a back-up PG, why wouldn't I better really tempted to go after him?

I'm finding guys with my D2 team that would be fine for D3. If I had a D3 school, wouldn't I be tempted to go after them? Especially if I'd used all my scouting money?

0nly may not have intended to cheat when he created his 11th alias but, from the one example provided, the temptation proved to be too much. There very well may be many other examples. No one has looked or noticed.
4/3/2017 8:13 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/3/2017 8:13:00 AM (view original):
As someone mentioned earlier, it's not like you just "forget" who you scouted regardless of username. I find a lot of guys with my Smith team(D3) that I can't recruit. Now, if I had a school in D1, I wouldn't just forget that 38 ranked PG. I'd know he's in WY and I'd know a couple of D2 schools were after him. I'd know, with proper effort, that I could take him. If my D1 needed a back-up PG, why wouldn't I better really tempted to go after him?

I'm finding guys with my D2 team that would be fine for D3. If I had a D3 school, wouldn't I be tempted to go after them? Especially if I'd used all my scouting money?

0nly may not have intended to cheat when he created his 11th alias but, from the one example provided, the temptation proved to be too much. There very well may be many other examples. No one has looked or noticed.
Yeah. It's not like you want to do it, but you certainly have infos that other do not have an unchallenged D1 player is easy to grab from anywhere. Put the AP in, profit.
4/3/2017 8:18 AM
I doubt he cheated as well. Accusation does not equal proof. For the record I have two ids. None of the teams share worlds. If I could somehow merge the ids and not lose anything, certainly would. Neither here nor there. This 'j'accuse' theater gets ridiculous.
4/3/2017 9:17 AM
My take - I have no clue whether cheating took place.

I dont think it matters whether cheating took place - with the launch of 3.0, WIS should eliminate the ability to have two teams in a world under different names. The old 1000 mile rule was okay in prior game. It is not adequate in 3.0

4/3/2017 9:53 AM
Posted by mamxet on 4/3/2017 9:53:00 AM (view original):

I dont think it matters whether cheating took place - with the launch of 3.0, WIS should eliminate the ability to have two teams in a world under different names. The old 1000 mile rule was okay in prior game. It is not adequate in 3.0

They would have to make it functionally impossible, though, and that would include prohibiting multiple players in the same house (which is how I ended up with 2 IDs). That functional prohibition may be good for people's sense of fair play, but it would further hurt WIS's bottom line.

If I'm WIS, I think the best path forward is to require IDs used from the same IP address and/or credit card be linked and public. Have folks report questions of fair play violations. In this instance, it should be pretty easy to see, as long as they archive scouting/recruiting actions for more than just the current season. If the D1 scouted the player to L4, it's pretty damning. According to seble, policy is that beyond the 1000 mile rule, there is a "no-touching" rule, i.e. WIS would consider it a violation to go after a player that you scouted with a different team.
4/3/2017 10:33 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 4/3/2017 10:33:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mamxet on 4/3/2017 9:53:00 AM (view original):

They would have to make it functionally impossible, though, and that would include prohibiting multiple players in the same house (which is how I ended up with 2 IDs). That functional prohibition may be good for people's sense of fair play, but it would further hurt WIS's bottom line.

If I'm WIS, I think the best path forward is to require IDs used from the same IP address and/or credit card be linked and public. Have folks report questions of fair play violations. In this instance, it should be pretty easy to see, as long as they archive scouting/recruiting actions for more than just the current season. If the D1 scouted the player to L4, it's pretty damning. According to seble, policy is that beyond the 1000 mile rule, there is a "no-touching" rule, i.e. WIS would consider it a violation to go after a player that you scouted with a different team.
Shoe : This has nothing to do with this. The way the game is designed makes for cheating or at least for getting tempted. It needs to get rid of two IDS.
4/3/2017 10:39 AM
Well, if we want to suspend reality, here's what we're to believe:
1. He didn't scout Canada with his D1 team.
2. He spent $600+ in D3 money to get to L2 or $1800+ to get to L4.

Maybe both of those happened. Much more likely, he did scout Canada with his D1 and scouted him up with D1 money. Then opened Canada with his D3 and recruited the guy. If he even scouted Canada with his D1 before dropping a single AP on the guy, there's a problem.
4/3/2017 10:40 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...15 Next ▸
Moral Obligation? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.