Last 5 books you’ve read Topic

my muse
7/22/2017 3:30 PM
Double Whammy (Carl Hiassen) - His second solo novel, the focus of which is the competitive bass fishing world. A former newspaper photographer, RJ Decker, is hired by a wealthy businessman to prove that a rival (and celebrity) fisherman is a cheater. Chaos ensues. More focused storytelling than "Tourist Season", the novel is notable chiefly for the debut of the character Skink, a seeming wild man living alone out in the swamps and subsisting on roadkill. Skink has both an interesting backstory and several future appearances in Hiassen's novels.

Skin Tight (Carl Hiassen) - Hiassen's next novel focuses on Mick Stranahan, a former detective for the State Attorney (and who will make future appearances in later novels). Stranahan now lives alone out in Stiltsville and is a bit surprised when an East Coast hitman shows up to finish his life. Stranahan survives and later becomes convinced that the hit attempt is related to a case he investigated several years ago, in which a college student disappeared after getting a nose job from Dr. Rudy Graveline. Stranahan decides he needs to find some answers, and learns he is competing with a Geraldo Rivera-type reporter who is looking to do a story on the case himself. Besides Stranahan, the second hitman sent after him proves to be a memorable character.
7/24/2017 5:35 PM
hey forg, if you enjoy Hiassen, try reading Tim Dorsey. His books also take place in Florida and are filled with crazy FL characters
7/24/2017 6:56 PM
One of his books just came up as "recommended for you" in an e-mail from Amazon.
7/25/2017 2:59 PM
Kermie, ever read John Sandford? Highly recommended. Also, try David Housewright
7/26/2017 12:32 PM
Old school? Try

John D. MacDonald
7/26/2017 12:44 PM
I haven't read Sandford, and haven't heard of Housewright. I feel like I've read some of MacDonald's short stories, but none of his novels.
7/26/2017 4:33 PM
definitely read Sandford. You won't be disappointed. Housewright is very good too. I've read a number of MacDonald novels. Pretty good if you like that sort of stuff.
7/26/2017 6:59 PM
What I'm in the mood for is a sci-fi series (preferably no more than four books)... anyone have suggestions?
7/27/2017 10:18 AM
The Heechee Saga--Frederik Pohl--5 in the series plus 1 of short stories which i skipped

The Hyperion Cantos---Dan Simmons-----4 in the series

Sprawl Trilogy-----William Gibson
7/27/2017 11:25 AM
Hyperion I've read.

I read Neuromancer... maybe I should move forward with that series.
7/27/2017 11:32 AM
i need a function or equation or something

say i had a dollar and after twenty years its worth eight dollars

how much did it compound each year on average to get there
8/16/2017 10:38 AM (edited)
there's a claim made in a book about what a dollar is worth in 1880 --how much it buys-- and I want to compare it to a table of interest rates or inflation rates or fed funds rates or something like that over the last 150 years

a five dollar gold piece buys a hooker and a dinner. it seems overpriced
8/16/2017 10:37 AM

8/16/2017 12:16 PM
Based on my modeling, the answer is slightly less than 10.96% annually.
8/16/2017 12:35 PM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15...19 Next ▸
Last 5 books you’ve read Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.