Faux Outrage, Silly Tantrums, & a Nation for Sale Topic

Posted by tangplay on 10/12/2017 2:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 10/12/2017 2:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/12/2017 1:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 10/12/2017 1:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/12/2017 1:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 10/12/2017 1:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/12/2017 12:13:00 PM (view original):

Regardless of where his awareness came from (girlfriend, whatever), it's not radical to silently kneel in protest of police brutality. It's American.
How does kneeling at an NFL game protest bad policing? I just don't see the equation whatsoever. I can see if you protest a war or such but not bad policing? If he didn't tell me what he was protesting against I would assume it was the Government or the Flag.
How does marching across a bridge protest Jim Crow?

He's drawing attention to an issue. This isn't difficult to understand.
Are you serious? They were marching toward Alabama to protest their racist behavior, specifically toward voting. Watch the movie Selma. They were actually not protesting Jim Crow laws. On the way to the protest violence happened. This has zero to do with what Kap is doing. Again how does sitting for the Anthem protest poor police work? Mind you poor police work in his view.
I know you aren't from the US, so maybe you get a pass on this, but several Jim Crow laws were restrictions on voting.
Agreed but they weren't specifically protesting JC in Selma. And they crossed that bridge to get to the Capital of Alabama. You stated the bridge had nothing to do with what they were protesting. But it did as it was a way to get to Montgomery.
There were lots of instances of protests that logically were unrelated during the movement.
Why are you opining? This is about how Kap's stance had nothing to do with police brutality. It was an odd protest. BL said the bridge had nothing to do with what protesting JC laws and I said it did because they were crossing it to get to Montgomery and protest in front of the capital. Keep up.
10/12/2017 2:40 PM
Posted by tangplay on 10/12/2017 2:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 10/12/2017 2:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 10/12/2017 2:36:00 PM (view original):
I would suggest reading Coming of Age in Mississippi for some insight, Boris.
Why? I agree that the South was racist but it wasn't the people so much as the Legislature that insisted on separate bathrooms and seating areas in restaurants. Go and watch Mississippi Burning. Pretty frightening stuff.
.... On education and the way people protested. And if you are going to insult a person, you had better know what they went through.
What who went through?

What are you talking about?

Pretty sure Kap was happy go lucky until he lost his starting job.
10/12/2017 2:41 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 10/12/2017 2:40:00 PM (view original):

Regardless of where his awareness came from (girlfriend, whatever), it's not radical to silently kneel in protest of police brutality. It's American.
How does kneeling at an NFL game protest bad policing? I just don't see the equation whatsoever. I can see if you protest a war or such but not bad policing? If he didn't tell me what he was protesting against I would assume it was the Government or the Flag.

Are you serious? They were marching toward Alabama to protest their racist behavior, specifically toward voting. Watch the movie Selma. They were actually not protesting Jim Crow laws. On the way to the protest violence happened. This has zero to do with what Kap is doing. Again how does sitting for the Anthem protest poor police work? Mind you poor police work in his view.
I know you aren't from the US, so maybe you get a pass on this, but several Jim Crow laws were restrictions on voting.
Agreed but they weren't specifically protesting JC in Selma. And they crossed that bridge to get to the Capital of Alabama. You stated the bridge had nothing to do with what they were protesting. But it did as it was a way to get to Montgomery.
There were lots of instances of protests that logically were unrelated during the movement.
Why are you opining? This is about how Kap's stance had nothing to do with police brutality. It was an odd protest. BL said the bridge had nothing to do with what protesting JC laws and I said it did because they were crossing it to get to Montgomery and protest in front of the capital. Keep up.
How would you suggest Kaepernick protest police brutality?
10/12/2017 2:47 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/12/2017 2:47:00 PM (view original):

By forming a coalition and marching in front of a police station in San Fran. Calling the media and speaking out against what he believes is racial injustice in the US. We can then debate if there is or is not racial injustice but at least then I can see who he is protesting and why he is angry. He was adopted and raised by a white family so I doubt he thinks all white people are racist. But obviously he is angry so state why in an organized protest in front of a police station not when we salute the flag aka our veterans who made the ultimate sacrifice of the country. The song was inspired by Key seeing the attack of an American fort by British soldiers. My youngest is actually learning about this right now in school.
10/12/2017 2:52 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 10/12/2017 2:52:00 PM (view original):

By forming a coalition and marching in front of a police station in San Fran. Calling the media and speaking out against what he believes is racial injustice in the US. We can then debate if there is or is not racial injustice but at least then I can see who he is protesting and why he is angry. He was adopted and raised by a white family so I doubt he thinks all white people are racist. But obviously he is angry so state why in an organized protest in front of a police station not when we salute the flag aka our veterans who made the ultimate sacrifice of the country. The song was inspired by Key seeing the attack of an American fort by British soldiers. My youngest is actually learning about this right now in school.
We know the story behind it. Either way, the problem is that your protest would not cause a stir. A protest is SUPPOSED to make you uncomfortable. In a perfect world, yes, but would that REALLY bring attention to it?
10/12/2017 3:15 PM
Or..he could skip all that and take a knee and, over a year later, people still talk about it.
10/12/2017 3:16 PM
Posted by tangplay on 10/12/2017 3:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 10/12/2017 2:52:00 PM (view original):

We know the story behind it. Either way, the problem is that your protest would not cause a stir. A protest is SUPPOSED to make you uncomfortable. In a perfect world, yes, but would that REALLY bring attention to it?
It brought attention to it and backfired as the anthem has roots dating back to the US military and has nothing to do with poor police work. Or perceived prejudices.
10/12/2017 3:17 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/12/2017 3:16:00 PM (view original):
Or..he could skip all that and take a knee and, over a year later, people still talk about it.
In a negative light. And now he has become the villain as have the NFL players. Racial divides have widened IMO.
10/12/2017 3:17 PM
You REALLY think that would have gotten anywhere near as much notice as his decision to "sit out" and/or kneel during the anthem at every football game he appeared at IN UNIFORM on national TV did???? WTF Boris, you're being ridiculous. Why do you think the NFL is concerned??? It's because he is using the NFL's national platform to get the attention. Your suggestion (the police station protest and all that) MIGHT get a couple of local news reporters, IF that!!

Get real. Once again............ being a defender of an ideology that has no truth at it's center (Trump's nationalism) is a major fool's errand. Just judging from our personal inter-action and your baseball knowledge I wouldn't have picked you for a fool.............

Sometimes facing truth is difficult. When you get as old as me and have been wrong as many times as I have, and have suffered the blows of life (both just and unjust-they both occur!) you learn that. That's the impact of that silly Nicholson line............ most folks don't really want the truth because (subconsciously) they know they can't handle it.

You're being duped by an allegiance to an ideology that no longer exists! This is where the modern T-party revolution (grassroots geezer movement--alt-right and all white) has led the repugnant party. Right into chaos. Your party got taken over by neo-phyte no-nothings (there are a few on here!) following the pied piper of illusion as they (and HE) look for someone (ANYONE) else to blame our societal problems on. Every T-party nut-job I ever met would **** his (or her!) pants at the mere inclusion of truth into the debate. They are all about fantasy......... and the way it USED to be (and never really was) back before the uppity coloreds of the world realized our Country gave them equal footing.

And started demanding equality. Grow up, Get over it. Take care of what's really important.... your family and your health.
Don't publicly back losers like Trump. That'll just bring you sorrow.
10/12/2017 3:29 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 10/12/2017 3:17:00 PM (view original):
In a negative light. And now he has become the villain as have the NFL players. Racial divides have widened IMO.
Any protest by a black person about the police would be received negatively.

A majority didnt like King in the 60's. People freaked out when NBA and NFL players wore tshirts that said "Justice for Tamir Rice and John Crawford," (a statement no one should disagree with) and people still hate it when someone simply says black lives matter.

Be honest.
10/12/2017 3:30 PM
Honesty (even with oneself) is very difficult for many folks.
10/12/2017 3:37 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/12/2017 3:30:00 PM (view original):
Any protest by a black person about the police would be received negatively.

A majority didnt like King in the 60's. People freaked out when NBA and NFL players wore tshirts that said "Justice for Tamir Rice and John Crawford," (a statement no one should disagree with) and people still hate it when someone simply says black lives matter.

Be honest.
I am just giving my opinion. I do not understand why and how he is conflating racial injustice (in his view) with standing for the anthem. But to your point that I will concede. I am not black so I cannot possibly know what it is like to walk in his shoes. Then again he is a millionaire.
10/12/2017 3:37 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
He's no villain Boris. At worst he's a callous rich athlete using protest as an excuse for getting caught being disrespectful. Or he's an American citizen exercising his Constitutional right. Only he (really) knows. Either way, he (unknowingly I'm quite sure) has been the seminal cause of a quite large national dialogue about what our enshrined rights really mean. Our law (in this free Country) gives anyone the right to be so inflammatory as to publicly burn a US flag. You (or I, or anyone else) may not like it, but they have that right............. PRECISELY because of our soldiers past bravery. Some of them DIED so that inflammatory act by that driven individual would be able to be committed.......again and again. You try and take that away and you are be-smirching the memory of Pat Tillman and every other soldier who gave their life for this Country and what it stands for.

The problem here is that our (supposed) leader (The Donald) has no clue about US History, or our Flag, or (most importantly) our Constitution and what it MEANS! Instead of using his position to uphold it's principals and tell the "marshmellows with their panties in a wad" (the right wing nut jobs!) not to sweat it---- "liddle Colin Kappie's just an unemployed football player exercising his rights, trying to get attention".......... what does he do??? He inflames!! As always. He divides!! Like always. It's all he knows......... it's HOW he came to power.......... and (most importantly) he's an egotistical, shameless, evil human being. And many foolish voters have stuck us with him for 4 years. If it goes beyond that, we'll likely have rioting in the streets all over the country. An all-out war........... just like Ol' Charlie Manson prophesied. I'm still seeking that cave!
10/12/2017 3:55 PM (edited)
I've heard that opinion line before somewhere. And I just don't get it.

opinions are wrong all the time. opinions are an individual's judgment of" something" based on what they know and understand about that "something".
Some opinions are well grounded in known (and understood) fact, solid logic, and correctly framed and stated.
Opinions to be listened to and considered.

Then there are opinions just because of a notion, or bias, or prejudice, or stupidity, or hatred, or, etc.........
opinions NOT based on anything other than some person's irrational thought. Happens every day, all over the globe, at every level of societal wealth and intellect. It's just a basic part of the human condition. Probably why the creator gave us a conscious........... because he/she knew without That, we'd never be honest with ourselves!
10/12/2017 4:04 PM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15...20 Next ▸
Faux Outrage, Silly Tantrums, & a Nation for Sale Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.