White Privilege Topic

Despite this possible consequence, according to the BDS website, more than 1,000 faculty members on hundreds of campuses around the world have endorsed this boycott. Such action has caused many Israeli scholars to lose funding and research opportunities. Eric Alterman, PhD, currently the CUNY Distinguished Professor of English and Journalism at Brooklyn College who has written extensively about BDS, says it doesn’t make sense to punish the Israeli academic community because they tend to have “the most progressive pro-peace views.”

In the U.S., some BDS supporters have managed to ensure that Jewish student groups are excluded from participation in social justice causes and events — a fact which is particularly concerning to Ken Waltzer, PhD, the former director of Jewish Studies at Michigan State University. Waltzer currently leads the Academic Engagement Network (AEN), an organization of U.S. college and university faculty opposed to BDS. “Jewish students want to be part of progressive things [occurring] on campus, and increasingly in these arenas, a test of how progressive you are is whether you are anti-Israel,” he says.

A 2016 incident at Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) illustrates this trend. When the Brown-RISD chapter of the Jewish student organization Hillel attempted to co-sponsor a campus event on transgender activism, Brown’s SJP posted a petition on Change.org stating that the event’s speaker — transgender activist Janet Mock — should not come to the university because “Hillel [supports] the Israeli state’s policies of occupation and racial apartheid.” Mock ended up cancelling.

8/27/2018 3:32 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:27:00 PM (view original):
http://www.insightintodiversity.com/bds-movement-causes-backlash-against-jewish-college-students-and-employees/

Are you saying because we overcome it that it doesn't exist? Please explain.
Yes, if institutional racism existed in the 1920's and Jews overcame it, it does not currently exist today.

So you ignored the link? It is current. 2016-2017?
8/27/2018 3:33 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:24:00 PM (view original):
I am Jewish. I am applying to State U. If that State U has a BDS march and open anti Jewish sentitment, why would I attend that school? Use your "morals" argument.
Obviously I don't support anti Jew sentiments on colleges, like I don't support anti Muslim, Christian, or any other religion argument. That is a good argument, however the link between BDS and anti Jew sentiment is sketchy, and the inequality argument there is slim. Note how I didn't mention colleges in the institutional racism argument.

Like you can dislike Israel and not hate Jews.
You can dislike Iran and not hate muslims.
Agreed but Iran is one of 50+ Islamic states. There is one Jewish state.

“Schools that are promoting BDS or other kinds of anti-Zionist rhetoric … are three to eight times more likely to have incidents that target Jewish students for harm,” says Rossman-Benjamin. These have included assault, the suppression of speech, and destruction of property.
75% of Israelis are Jewish. 99% of Iranians are muslim.

This is awful. However this may be a vocal minority?
8/27/2018 3:33 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:33:00 PM (view original):
http://www.insightintodiversity.com/bds-movement-causes-backlash-against-jewish-college-students-and-employees/

Yes, if institutional racism existed in the 1920's and Jews overcame it, it does not currently exist today.

BDS isn't outright discrimination. Jews are clearly doing fine. A majority of Jews graduate from college. Measures to prevent Jews from going to college is much more concrete.
8/27/2018 3:35 PM
And? Are vocal minorities allowed to spew anti African American lingo and suppress African Americans from speaking? I don't see one university OK with this but many are OK with BDS. Again Iran is one country out of 50+. Israel is the only majority Jewish country. Are you seriously ignoring the evidence?
8/27/2018 3:35 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:35:00 PM (view original):

BDS isn't outright discrimination. Jews are clearly doing fine. A majority of Jews graduate from college. Measures to prevent Jews from going to college is much more concrete.
Again so because we overcome something it doesn't exist? Is that your stance? According to Charles Murray we are the smartest people. So again you believe what you believe and you and I debating seems useless. You won't change my mind and I will not change yours. But I have given you proof why in my opinion there is institutional antisemitism on college campuses.
8/27/2018 3:37 PM
I'm not ignoring the evidence. It's borderline institutional. I completely get your argument.

The point is that Israel is only 75% Jewish. Disliking Israel isn't equatable to disliking Jews. Disliking Iran isn't equatable to disliking Muslims.

Who cares if it is the only one? The point still stands.
8/27/2018 3:38 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:37:00 PM (view original):

Again so because we overcome something it doesn't exist? Is that your stance? According to Charles Murray we are the smartest people. So again you believe what you believe and you and I debating seems useless. You won't change my mind and I will not change yours. But I have given you proof why in my opinion there is institutional antisemitism on college campuses.

Yes. If you overcome something it existed in the past but doesn't anymore.

Who TF is Charles Murray? Why should I care about his opinion? Especially when it goes against my moral and religious beliefs?

8/27/2018 3:40 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:38:00 PM (view original):
I'm not ignoring the evidence. It's borderline institutional. I completely get your argument.

The point is that Israel is only 75% Jewish. Disliking Israel isn't equatable to disliking Jews. Disliking Iran isn't equatable to disliking Muslims.

Did you miss this one?

Schools that are promoting BDS or other kinds of anti-Zionist rhetoric … are three to eight times more likely to have incidents that target Jewish students for harm,” says Rossman-Benjamin. These have included assault, the suppression of speech, and destruction of property.

If it is not equitable to disliking Jews how do you explain the significantly greater incidents that target Jewish students?

Please explain. Thanks.
8/27/2018 3:40 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:40:00 PM (view original):

Who TF is Charles Murray? Why should I care about his opinion? Especially when it goes against my moral and religious beliefs?

He is a social scientist. Because a learned person should have as much data as they can. Not in the past. You agree it is happening now as well.
8/27/2018 3:41 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:40:00 PM (view original):

Did you miss this one?

Schools that are promoting BDS or other kinds of anti-Zionist rhetoric … are three to eight times more likely to have incidents that target Jewish students for harm,” says Rossman-Benjamin. These have included assault, the suppression of speech, and destruction of property.

If it is not equitable to disliking Jews how do you explain the significantly greater incidents that target Jewish students?

Please explain. Thanks.
If a school is Pro BDS, they are going to attract pro BDS people, just as they will repel Jews. We both agree that while not equatable, being pro BDS makes one more likely to dislike Jews. Those that are dumb enough to assault a Jew because of their religion are probably dumb enough to choose their college based on political beliefs.
8/27/2018 3:44 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:44:00 PM (view original):

Did you miss this one?

Please explain. Thanks.
If a school is Pro BDS, they are going to attract pro BDS people, just as they will repel Jews. We both agree that while not equatable, being pro BDS makes one more likely to dislike Jews. Those that are dumb enough to assault a Jew because of their religion are probably dumb enough to choose their college based on political beliefs.
So then you agree that there is still institutional antisemitism that impacts Jews today. Thank you.

Now get me to the same place...where you see my POV if not 100% agree with it, with your institutional racism argument vs. African Americans.
8/27/2018 3:45 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:41:00 PM (view original):

He is a social scientist. Because a learned person should have as much data as they can. Not in the past. You agree it is happening now as well.
Antisemitism is, of course, still happening. Institutional antisemitism stopped in the 1920's. Assaulting a Jew is antisemitic and disgusting, but it isn't institutional.

Institutional antisemitism would be doing regulations to restrict Jews from attending college. A la the 20's.
8/27/2018 3:46 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:41:00 PM (view original):

Antisemitism is, of course, still happening. Institutional antisemitism stopped in the 1920's. Assaulting a Jew is antisemitic and disgusting, but it isn't institutional.

Institutional antisemitism would be doing regulations to restrict Jews from attending college. A la the 20's.
Tomato....tomaaato. You see blatant anti Jew rhetoric at schools and administrators don't care. I call that antisemtitism. You don't. Fine. But you at least see my POV. I don't see yours whatsoever. I don't see one school with anti black marches that are supported by that school!
8/27/2018 3:48 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:44:00 PM (view original):

Did you miss this one?

Please explain. Thanks.
So then you agree that there is still institutional antisemitism that impacts Jews today. Thank you.

Now get me to the same place...where you see my POV if not 100% agree with it, with your institutional racism argument vs. African Americans.
I think we pretty much agree on the african american one...
  • Overall white income is equal to black income with two parents
  • Innocent black people are far more likely to go to jail than any other race
  • Redlining was and is a thing
  • Police are biased against black people as you have proven due to crime rates

I could go on. Skin color is a FACTOR. One of many factors, and not the most important factor, but a factor nonetheless.
8/27/2018 3:48 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...53 Next ▸
White Privilege Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.