Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:27:00 PM (view original):
http://www.insightintodiversity.com/bds-movement-causes-backlash-against-jewish-college-students-and-employees/

Are you saying because we overcome it that it doesn't exist? Please explain.
Yes, if institutional racism existed in the 1920's and Jews overcame it, it does not currently exist today.

So you ignored the link? It is current. 2016-2017?
BDS isn't outright discrimination. Jews are clearly doing fine. A majority of Jews graduate from college. Measures to prevent Jews from going to college is much more concrete.
Again so because we overcome something it doesn't exist? Is that your stance? According to Charles Murray we are the smartest people. So again you believe what you believe and you and I debating seems useless. You won't change my mind and I will not change yours. But I have given you proof why in my opinion there is institutional antisemitism on college campuses.

Yes. If you overcome something it existed in the past but doesn't anymore.

Who TF is Charles Murray? Why should I care about his opinion? Especially when it goes against my moral and religious beliefs?

He is a social scientist. Because a learned person should have as much data as they can. Not in the past. You agree it is happening now as well.
Antisemitism is, of course, still happening. Institutional antisemitism stopped in the 1920's. Assaulting a Jew is antisemitic and disgusting, but it isn't institutional.

Institutional antisemitism would be doing regulations to restrict Jews from attending college. A la the 20's.
Can you point to regulations that restrict African Americans from attending college or a place of employment?
8/27/2018 3:49 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:48:00 PM (view original):
http://www.insightintodiversity.com/bds-movement-causes-backlash-against-jewish-college-students-and-employees/

Yes, if institutional racism existed in the 1920's and Jews overcame it, it does not currently exist today.

BDS isn't outright discrimination. Jews are clearly doing fine. A majority of Jews graduate from college. Measures to prevent Jews from going to college is much more concrete.
Again so because we overcome something it doesn't exist? Is that your stance? According to Charles Murray we are the smartest people. So again you believe what you believe and you and I debating seems useless. You won't change my mind and I will not change yours. But I have given you proof why in my opinion there is institutional antisemitism on college campuses.

Who TF is Charles Murray? Why should I care about his opinion? Especially when it goes against my moral and religious beliefs?

He is a social scientist. Because a learned person should have as much data as they can. Not in the past. You agree it is happening now as well.
Antisemitism is, of course, still happening. Institutional antisemitism stopped in the 1920's. Assaulting a Jew is antisemitic and disgusting, but it isn't institutional.

Institutional antisemitism would be doing regulations to restrict Jews from attending college. A la the 20's.
Tomato....tomaaato. You see blatant anti Jew rhetoric at schools and administrators don't care. I call that antisemtitism. You don't. Fine. But you at least see my POV. I don't see yours whatsoever. I don't see one school with anti black marches that are supported by that school!
No, it's antisemitism, but not institutional.

A march against black people is racist, but that's not institutional racism. Again, the restrictions on attending college is institutional and the best argument you made.
8/27/2018 3:49 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:49:00 PM (view original):

Can you point to regulations that restrict African Americans from attending college or a place of employment?
If there are any, it isn't blatant. That's why my argument hasn't mentioned that.

It doesn't have to be limited to college or employment. My arguments mostly lie with housing, education, and justice.
8/27/2018 3:51 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:38:00 PM (view original):
I'm not ignoring the evidence. It's borderline institutional. I completely get your argument.

The point is that Israel is only 75% Jewish. Disliking Israel isn't equatable to disliking Jews. Disliking Iran isn't equatable to disliking Muslims.

Who cares if it is the only one? The point still stands.
Did you miss this one?

Schools that are promoting BDS or other kinds of anti-Zionist rhetoric … are three to eight times more likely to have incidents that target Jewish students for harm,” says Rossman-Benjamin. These have included assault, the suppression of speech, and destruction of property.

If it is not equitable to disliking Jews how do you explain the significantly greater incidents that target Jewish students?

Please explain. Thanks.
If a school is Pro BDS, they are going to attract pro BDS people, just as they will repel Jews. We both agree that while not equatable, being pro BDS makes one more likely to dislike Jews. Those that are dumb enough to assault a Jew because of their religion are probably dumb enough to choose their college based on political beliefs.
So then you agree that there is still institutional antisemitism that impacts Jews today. Thank you.

Now get me to the same place...where you see my POV if not 100% agree with it, with your institutional racism argument vs. African Americans.
I think we pretty much agree on the african american one...
  • Overall white income is equal to black income with two parents
  • Innocent black people are far more likely to go to jail than any other race
  • Redlining was and is a thing
  • Police are biased against black people as you have proven due to crime rates

I could go on. Skin color is a FACTOR. One of many factors, and not the most important factor, but a factor nonetheless.
No you said outward regulations or restrictions. African Americans commit more crimes so more innocent ones will be arrested. Redlining was a thing can you point to regulations that currently support redlining? Police officers are black too not just white. Bias is not the same as racism. College coaches have bias toward black athletes. They are not racist vs. whites.
8/27/2018 3:51 PM
You said this:

Now I'll swap words. Institutional racism would be doing regulations that restrict blacks form attending college, getting a job, getting housing, etc. Can you please point to any regulations that allow for such restricitons?
8/27/2018 3:54 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:51:00 PM (view original):
I'm not ignoring the evidence. It's borderline institutional. I completely get your argument.

The point is that Israel is only 75% Jewish. Disliking Israel isn't equatable to disliking Jews. Disliking Iran isn't equatable to disliking Muslims.

Did you miss this one?

Schools that are promoting BDS or other kinds of anti-Zionist rhetoric … are three to eight times more likely to have incidents that target Jewish students for harm,” says Rossman-Benjamin. These have included assault, the suppression of speech, and destruction of property.

If it is not equitable to disliking Jews how do you explain the significantly greater incidents that target Jewish students?

Please explain. Thanks.
If a school is Pro BDS, they are going to attract pro BDS people, just as they will repel Jews. We both agree that while not equatable, being pro BDS makes one more likely to dislike Jews. Those that are dumb enough to assault a Jew because of their religion are probably dumb enough to choose their college based on political beliefs.
So then you agree that there is still institutional antisemitism that impacts Jews today. Thank you.

Now get me to the same place...where you see my POV if not 100% agree with it, with your institutional racism argument vs. African Americans.

I could go on. Skin color is a FACTOR. One of many factors, and not the most important factor, but a factor nonetheless.
No you said outward regulations or restrictions. African Americans commit more crimes so more innocent ones will be arrested. Redlining was a thing can you point to regulations that currently support redlining? Police officers are black too not just white. Bias is not the same as racism. College coaches have bias toward black athletes. They are not racist vs. whites.

African Americans commit more crimes so more innocent ones will be arrested.

That is proof that institutional racism exists. Just because a race commits more crimes doesn't mean that more innocents will be arrested. If institutional racism didn't exist, that number would be equal. Because skin color isn't a reason to prosecute. Proves my point that bias impacts judicial and police systems.

Redlining was a thing can you point to regulations that currently support redlining?

In the 1960's, there were blatant regulations. Black people haven't overcome that yet. There are still many examples of bias and racism impacting property decisions.

Police officers are black too not just white.

Yes. Everyone has bias. The vast majority are white and you will be biased against the opposite race. I should have clarified that I was generalizing.

Bias is not the same as racism.

Correct. Bias leads to institutional racism if not kept in check. Judge is biased against black people due to black people committing more crimes -> more likely to convict black people

College coaches have bias toward black athletes. They are not racist vs. whites.

Correct. If college coaches chose a black athlete over a white one of similar talent then that is 'institutional'.

8/27/2018 3:59 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:54:00 PM (view original):
You said this:

Now I'll swap words. Institutional racism would be doing regulations that restrict blacks form attending college, getting a job, getting housing, etc. Can you please point to any regulations that allow for such restricitons?
Good argument, except I said that that was one example. It could also be bias from people in positions of power that impact choices they make.

8/27/2018 4:00 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/26/2018 11:36:00 AM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 8/26/2018 3:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Vitamin_C on 8/25/2018 3:21:00 PM (view original):
I'll also state that the term "white privilege", is immediately regarded as offensive to a lot of folks, but it is also typically misunderstood by people on both sides.

It doesn't mean that because you are white, you've had everything handed to you. It doesn't mean that you haven't had your share of struggles and hardships. It simply means that your skin color typically hasn't been the source of any of those struggles and hardships.

I find it hard to argue that (within that narrow definition only) white privilege doesn't exist.
^^^ THIS ^^^
That is not their argument. Their argument is not white privilege. Bad luck is an idiotic monkey. Tang is an uniformed child.

Their argument is that being black is a disadvantage when compared to being white and I 100% disagree with that. Having one parent is MORE of a disadvantage and yet those two buffoons refuse to admit that. There are many factors that contribute to unequal outcomes and skin color may be one or may not be one. It depends on situations.

I have personally seen way more antisemitism than racism vs blacks. Hell colleges actively support people who are pro BDS and allow signs and marches. Media says nothing. Pretty sure colleges don’t support anti black marches.

Only an idiot like bad luck would not equate BDS to antisemitism.
could you have seen more antisemitism then racism because you are Jewish and not black?
8/27/2018 4:03 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:11:00 PM (view original):
CCCP... This is ME asking and not BL. Please answer my question:

Does institutional antisemitism exist in America today?

In the words of the almighty CCCP, a simple yes/no will suffice.
Yes
Great. Please explain to me why institutional antisemitism exists and institutional racism does not.
I thought a simple yes or no would suffice?
8/27/2018 4:06 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 4:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:54:00 PM (view original):
You said this:

Good argument, except I said that that was one example. It could also be bias from people in positions of power that impact choices they make.

You did? I quoted You word for word?
8/27/2018 4:21 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 8/27/2018 4:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:13:00 PM (view original):

Yes
Great. Please explain to me why institutional antisemitism exists and institutional racism does not.
I thought a simple yes or no would suffice?
Did you see that I obliged? Neither BL nor tang could ever do that. Always an explanation.
8/27/2018 4:22 PM
Posted by tangplay on 8/27/2018 3:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:48:00 PM (view original):

Tomato....tomaaato. You see blatant anti Jew rhetoric at schools and administrators don't care. I call that antisemtitism. You don't. Fine. But you at least see my POV. I don't see yours whatsoever. I don't see one school with anti black marches that are supported by that school!
No, it's antisemitism, but not institutional.

A march against black people is racist, but that's not institutional racism. Again, the restrictions on attending college is institutional and the best argument you made.
If the institutions don’t denounce those marches it is not institutional?
8/27/2018 5:00 PM

Yes
Wow, I missed a lot in just a couple hours.

This is interesting.
8/27/2018 5:16 PM
No it's not. You still have me blocked.
8/27/2018 5:18 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 8/27/2018 3:51:00 PM (view original):

Did you miss this one?

Please explain. Thanks.

White and black income, even when you control for number of parents in the home, is not equal.
8/27/2018 5:19 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...53 Next ▸
White Privilege Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.