Population Data 1/30/19 Topic

D2 and D3 are joyless to me under 3.0. I feel like I'm just going through the motions at this point. I've only stuck around at this point, because I enjoyed the long term conference I've been in, but even that will only hold up so long.
10/29/2018 3:51 PM
Bump for Gil.
3/1/2019 8:29 AM
Posted by jpmills3 on 4/23/2017 8:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 4/23/2017 7:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jpmills3 on 4/23/2017 7:21:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for the update Benis. Numbers look awful. basically, the numbers are so low that if you are not making some sort of post-season tourney consistently, then you should rethink your strategy. There is simply not enough human competition to not be making the post-season routinely.
ITs been all downhill since Ward left...
Naturally. No marketing left...
Need the REAL Wardo back to pump up these numbers!!
3/1/2019 1:10 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by shoe3 on 4/27/2017 10:41:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 4/27/2017 8:58:00 AM (view original):
The game the grognards liked wasn't popular. WIS was losing customers every year. They tried to do something to keep player retention.

You can hate the changes, you can blame participation trophies, you tell people they aren't as smart as you but in the end the opinion that many of you had was the minority.

It isn't a coincidence that the people most upset about the changes are the people that mastered the old system. Hungry people have revolutions......
I suppose you could call me a grognard, because I'm still playing Civilization V. But it's not because I'm not excited for the new version, it's because my old Mac probably can't handle it, and I can't justify a new computer just for a new game.
I’m still playing Civ V on that same old Mac.
3/2/2019 7:21 AM
How much longer until WIS shuts down 2-3 worlds to increase the population of the rest of the worlds?

They could make it so whatever coach prestige a coach is in their current world they will have that in a new world they join and will have coach longevity at the new school too.
3/11/2019 11:47 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 3/2/2019 7:21:00 AM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 4/27/2017 10:41:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 4/27/2017 8:58:00 AM (view original):
The game the grognards liked wasn't popular. WIS was losing customers every year. They tried to do something to keep player retention.

You can hate the changes, you can blame participation trophies, you tell people they aren't as smart as you but in the end the opinion that many of you had was the minority.

It isn't a coincidence that the people most upset about the changes are the people that mastered the old system. Hungry people have revolutions......
I suppose you could call me a grognard, because I'm still playing Civilization V. But it's not because I'm not excited for the new version, it's because my old Mac probably can't handle it, and I can't justify a new computer just for a new game.
I’m still playing Civ V on that same old Mac.
I was still playing CIV II on a portable flash drive until I ended up with all Windows 10 computers that are simply too new for it to work. I need to build an old pc just for that game.
3/11/2019 12:39 PM
Posted by Robertooo on 3/11/2019 11:47:00 AM (view original):
How much longer until WIS shuts down 2-3 worlds to increase the population of the rest of the worlds?

They could make it so whatever coach prestige a coach is in their current world they will have that in a new world they join and will have coach longevity at the new school too.
Never. Closing down worlds will not equate to increased population in another world. If Knight was closed, I would call it quits unless WIS offered me credits to rejoin another world.
Although you want to see increased world populations in HD, I doubt that is on WIS agenda. If it was, there are much better ways to achieve higher world populations than closing down worlds.
3/11/2019 1:16 PM
I think opening up a new 2 day world and doing some simple marketing during the college bball season would do wonders for this game. I had been looking for something like this for years after College hoops 2k8 was made. Nothing ever filled that void until i found WIS about 2 years ago. I didnt find an ad for this either and only 1 of my many college bball fans had heard of it before. Now 2 years later ive recruited 6 other guys to try the game and 5 still play. Marketing is the key.
3/11/2019 1:47 PM
Posted by zagsrulez on 3/11/2019 1:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Robertooo on 3/11/2019 11:47:00 AM (view original):

Never. Closing down worlds will not equate to increased population in another world. If Knight was closed, I would call it quits unless WIS offered me credits to rejoin another world.
Although you want to see increased world populations in HD, I doubt that is on WIS agenda. If it was, there are much better ways to achieve higher world populations than closing down worlds.
Totally agree Zags. Shutting down worlds as a 'fix' is such a terrible idea for so many reasons.
3/11/2019 1:51 PM
Posted by Nick_Bennett on 3/11/2019 1:47:00 PM (view original):
I think opening up a new 2 day world and doing some simple marketing during the college bball season would do wonders for this game. I had been looking for something like this for years after College hoops 2k8 was made. Nothing ever filled that void until i found WIS about 2 years ago. I didnt find an ad for this either and only 1 of my many college bball fans had heard of it before. Now 2 years later ive recruited 6 other guys to try the game and 5 still play. Marketing is the key.
Marketing is always kicked around as the solution and it's only partly true.

They've done marketing before, guys. Remember when they had a big FREEHD campaign? Remember when D3 populations in a couple worlds jumped to ~300 users? Remember how those people were ghosting by mid season and didn't sign up for another season?

Marketing is only going to be successful if you fix the new user retention issues. Otherwise you will just see a temporary bump in populations and then it'll be back to 'normal'. Not only is the ROI on this type of investment very poor for WIS, it's just not a sustainable solution because the game is so flawed right now for new users.
3/11/2019 1:55 PM
Make it easier to move up. No other fix matters.

Most noobs bounce as soon as they figure out how long it will take to get to the bottom of D1. True for both HD and GD.

And seble is wasting all his limited time for these games on spiffying up recruiting. Mind-boggling.
3/11/2019 2:20 PM (edited)
Posted by kcsundevil on 3/11/2019 2:20:00 PM (view original):

Most noobs bounce as soon as they figure out how long it will take to get to the bottom of D1. True for both HD and GD.

And seble is wasting all his limited time for these games on spiffying up recruiting. Mind-boggling.
Ding ding ding
3/11/2019 11:16 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/11/2019 1:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Nick_Bennett on 3/11/2019 1:47:00 PM (view original):
Marketing is always kicked around as the solution and it's only partly true.

They've done marketing before, guys. Remember when they had a big FREEHD campaign? Remember when D3 populations in a couple worlds jumped to ~300 users? Remember how those people were ghosting by mid season and didn't sign up for another season?

Marketing is only going to be successful if you fix the new user retention issues. Otherwise you will just see a temporary bump in populations and then it'll be back to 'normal'. Not only is the ROI on this type of investment very poor for WIS, it's just not a sustainable solution because the game is so flawed right now for new users.
That's not really marketing though. That's a quickie promotion offer to those who are already aware of the game. It does nothing to expose the game to new users unaware of it's existence.
3/12/2019 2:11 AM
Posted by kcsundevil on 3/11/2019 2:20:00 PM (view original):

That doesn't fix anything. Assuming that is the reason noobs would bounce right away, then you can also assume they only want to get to D1 quickly to get to the top teams everyone knows, such as a Duke or UNC. Someone is not rushing to get to D1 so they can be UC Riverside. Once they realize those teams aren't opening up anytime soon, they would bounce anyways.

You're correct on the recruiting issue, because recruiting was never the issue with the game. It shouldn't have been drastically changed like it was. Minor tweaks, sure, but the major changes drove the game into significantly reduced populations.
3/12/2019 2:15 AM
◂ Prev 1...17|18|19|20|21...24 Next ▸
Population Data 1/30/19 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.