Labor should be compensated fairly, relative to the amount of value it creates. A “college education” is not fair compensation; you can’t just inflate the price of tuition, say “look, now your degree is worth a bazillion dollars!” and call that fair compensation. Especially considering the labor student athletes are providing in the first place is a *very significant* part of the supposed “value” of the degree.

The Fair Play Act is long overdue, and should be federal law.
10/1/2019 9:21 AM
Posted by topdogggbm on 9/30/2019 4:42:00 PM (view original):
Michael Jackson is an excellent discussion for the music topic just brought up. And in may dig into that discussion in a bit. But this HAS to be discussed in this thread!!!!

Fair Pay to Play Act..... WOW. I'll pass the mic. Someone start us off! Thoughts? Is it the end of the college sports as we know it? Will college sports just continue as is and we won't even notice a difference, since it happens behind closed doors already?
Yes I also totally support the new Fair Pay For Play in California. This shouldv'e happened a long time ago.
10/1/2019 11:31 AM
A few years ago I had a friend come back from Vegas he was super excited about the day at the "Tom" Petty Driving Experience.

So either he meant Richard Petty, or there's a place near Vegas that lets you drive around in tour buses.
10/1/2019 3:32 PM
Why I LOVE this game...
My D3 team in Phelan is ranked #1 and I'm in my first Final Four in 7 real-life years.
Meanwhile in Knight my #10 ranked King's College team loses to a 1-6 squad by 10...as a 62-point favorite.
10/1/2019 4:00 PM
Posted by p6453 on 10/1/2019 4:00:00 PM (view original):
Why I LOVE this game...
My D3 team in Phelan is ranked #1 and I'm in my first Final Four in 7 real-life years.
Meanwhile in Knight my #10 ranked King's College team loses to a 1-6 squad by 10...as a 62-point favorite.
my first season back was a co-coaching one and we pulled the #1 seed starting a bunch of freshman. our real team coasts through the CT and then loses the 1v64 game. meanwhile i picked up a solo team about a week or two after the first one, but it was 2/day so basically the tournaments happen at the same time - and despite going into session 2 with 5 openings, no idea how to recruit, and low expectations - we get lucky on some dice rolls, get to 10 players, and end up winning the title.

just the way it goes sometimes!
10/1/2019 4:08 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 10/1/2019 4:08:00 PM (view original):
Why I LOVE this game...
my first season back was a co-coaching one and we pulled the #1 seed starting a bunch of freshman. our real team coasts through the CT and then loses the 1v64 game. meanwhile i picked up a solo team about a week or two after the first one, but it was 2/day so basically the tournaments happen at the same time - and despite going into session 2 with 5 openings, no idea how to recruit, and low expectations - we get lucky on some dice rolls, get to 10 players, and end up winning the title.

I wouldn't have this game any other way, though. I feel I'm a bit in over my head in the Final Four but we're riding it as far as we can.
Interesting matchup in the F4, as I play the Coach that took over for me when I took a break from Phelan...I'm playing with several of his recruits and beat him in non-conference play.
10/1/2019 4:13 PM
Posted by oldwarrior on 10/1/2019 3:32:00 PM (view original):
A few years ago I had a friend come back from Vegas he was super excited about the day at the "Tom" Petty Driving Experience.

So either he meant Richard Petty, or there's a place near Vegas that lets you drive around in tour buses.
This made me laugh harder than it should've.
10/1/2019 5:15 PM
Posted by p6453 on 10/1/2019 4:14:00 PM (view original):
Why I LOVE this game...

I wouldn't have this game any other way, though. I feel I'm a bit in over my head in the Final Four but we're riding it as far as we can.
Interesting matchup in the F4, as I play the Coach that took over for me when I took a break from Phelan...I'm playing with several of his recruits and beat him in non-conference play.
It's funny that you guys mention this. My dad and I have been having recent conversations about this very topic, about not getting as upset about losses, in general. I don't know if it's because I'm at two of my destination jobs (Oklahoma State, Indiana) and the pressure to get every single win is lessened, or if it's just me coming to understand the nature of the game and the engine the longer I play.

But just like you said, Paul, ridiculous upsets are going to happen. Losing to that bad Sim when you're a heavy favorite will happen. But if you're focusing on the journey and the process of improving, I think it makes it easier for "randomness" to roll off your back. Like, my Rupp team lost badly to a decent Sim last night. I got blasted on rebounds. But I know it's a bad rebounding team, and a zone team on top of that. So okay, that sucks. I need to focus on plugging that hole during recruiting.

I have fallen in love with the process of improving, and it has made me enjoy the game even more.
10/1/2019 5:36 PM
Posted by pallas on 10/1/2019 5:36:00 PM (view original):
Why I LOVE this game...

It's funny that you guys mention this. My dad and I have been having recent conversations about this very topic, about not getting as upset about losses, in general. I don't know if it's because I'm at two of my destination jobs (Oklahoma State, Indiana) and the pressure to get every single win is lessened, or if it's just me coming to understand the nature of the game and the engine the longer I play.

But just like you said, Paul, ridiculous upsets are going to happen. Losing to that bad Sim when you're a heavy favorite will happen. But if you're focusing on the journey and the process of improving, I think it makes it easier for "randomness" to roll off your back. Like, my Rupp team lost badly to a decent Sim last night. I got blasted on rebounds. But I know it's a bad rebounding team, and a zone team on top of that. So okay, that sucks. I need to focus on plugging that hole during recruiting.

I have fallen in love with the process of improving, and it has made me enjoy the game even more.
I looked over the box score and play-by-play...still surprised but I firmly believe you either win or learn.
10/1/2019 5:54 PM
Michael Jackson is an excellent discussion for the music topic just brought up. And in may dig into that discussion in a bit. But this HAS to be discussed in this thread!!!!

Fair Pay to Play Act..... WOW. I'll pass the mic. Someone start us off! Thoughts? Is it the end of the college sports as we know it? Will college sports just continue as is and we won't even notice a difference, since it happens behind closed doors already?
It looks as if I am the only one completely opposed to the Fair Pay to Play Act.

I hope it destroys the NCAA, destroys college athletics and damages higher education in general. All three entities are hopelessly corrupt.

Now, back to HD...
10/1/2019 8:18 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 10/1/2019 8:18:00 PM (view original):

It looks as if I am the only one completely opposed to the Fair Pay to Play Act.

I hope it destroys the NCAA, destroys college athletics and damages higher education in general. All three entities are hopelessly corrupt.

Now, back to HD...
You are the one that I hoped would comment. Not you specifically. But your beliefs.

Why? Why should kids make billions for a school, while getting penalized for getting a 92 Honda Civic given to them by a booster? Why penalize a kid that is the face of your entire school, and his draw power may bring more kids to your school for years to come, when he has an autograph session AT your school that attracts more people to the school?

Dumb examples. But I'm sure it happens.

Why do you feel that's wrong? And I'm really asking for your side. Not being a douche.
10/1/2019 9:12 PM
“I hope it destroys the NCAA, destroys college athletics and damages higher education in general. All three entities are hopelessly corrupt.”

I agree 100%, and if I thought the Fair Play Act *would* accomplish all that, all the more reason to support, IMO.

Even if it doesnt, at least the kids putting their bodies on the line and generating all that ticket revenue and booster income are eligible for fair compensation. That’s the next best thing to outright blowing up the NCAA.
10/1/2019 9:27 PM
Posted by pallas on 10/1/2019 5:36:00 PM (view original):
Why I LOVE this game...

that's cool - the hours spent 'optimizing' aren't for everybody, i think that sort of ruins the game for some people (including me, but that's just bc i am incapable of middle ground, i take it too far or do nothing). but if you are into 'the process of improving', its super fun! (at least it was for me)

the #1 thing to work on is team building. its the most important part of the game for higher end teams and coaches. its tempting to try to get more and more talented players, but once you have pretty much talent, its really more about arranging that talent optimally. team building and team setup kind of go hand in hand, to me the meta game here is basically to come up with some vision for your team (what kind of players you want where, or really, what collections of abilities you want, there's usually multiple ways to get there), then to execute on it during recruiting, and finally to test out your vision (when you have teams that approximate it fairly well) by working your team setup hard throughout the year. i guess that basically sounds like what HD is... but if you make it about refining your vision rather than the season itself, its significantly different.

basically, once you have some data back and your team is imperfect, which virtually all teams are, you have to figure out if it was your team setup or the vision that was wrong (or i suppose how well you executed on that vision). then you come up with a new plan to incorporate your new ideas and repeat. because the two play off each other, and you really can't evaluate your performance on team building or team setup unless you are doing well at both. thus, i think its helpful to pick 1 vision to focus on at a time. its fine to play multiple schemes but its best to pick 1 to really focus on, so you can make sure you are focusing on both the team building and setup parts so you can get the best possible feedback on how you did. plus, the game is so complicated, reducing the variables in scope is a big help.

on a read, this sounds pretty wishy washy, so one example. if your vision is your priority, then when you are recruiting you are projecting every recruit to their role on the team every year of their career - and evaluating the resulting team. what your team would look like with your existing players and the new guy (and potentially other recruits), in each of the next 4 seasons? if you aren't doing that, how are you possibly knowing if your team 3 seasons from now is going to be a good approximation of your vision?

one of the toughest things about vision building, if you will, is that you don't really start to get feedback on the current model of your vision (the one you are recruiting under, which is where team building primarily happens) until 2-3 seasons later! so you have to be thinking 2-3 seasons ahead. THAT is the difference between regular game play and vision building game play, in the former you are mostly focused on the current situation (with a goal of winning), in the latter you are constantly looking to the future (with a goal of gaining understanding). by the time you are playing your current team, they should almost be obsolete :)
10/1/2019 10:06 PM
I'm playing Thursday morning for a National Championship in Phelan. This wait is going to be da@# hard, lol.
10/2/2019 8:58 AM
Posted by p6453 on 10/2/2019 8:58:00 AM (view original):
I'm playing Thursday morning for a National Championship in Phelan. This wait is going to be da@# hard, lol.
Congrats, and good luck!
10/2/2019 9:41 AM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16...39 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.