To the point of injuries and depth chart "testing."

I have had multiple Wilt foul outs including the 50 point Gorilla season. The randomness that has existed in this sim is the reason why I left this the last two times. Once the assist thing got fixed I decided to come back and see if there has been an improvement overall. Injuries exist to stop people from trying to ride players too hard and game the salary cap. Since we all have to consider that Bill Russell could have never played with Stephen Curry due to their obvious age disparity we can't expect that we should have to pay money to see our LeBron James have a blown out ACL because the sim tossed their magic 12 sided die.

If you want that kind of experience, you could always play in traffic.
7/15/2022 8:17 AM
towels are indeed a problem
7/15/2022 10:13 AM
Posted by savoybg on 6/25/2022 8:46:00 AM (view original):
So you guys are okay with everybody's starters playing all 82 games?
Yes. 100% yes
7/22/2022 1:17 PM
Posted by PBandJ on 7/15/2022 8:17:00 AM (view original):
To the point of injuries and depth chart "testing."

I have had multiple Wilt foul outs including the 50 point Gorilla season. The randomness that has existed in this sim is the reason why I left this the last two times. Once the assist thing got fixed I decided to come back and see if there has been an improvement overall. Injuries exist to stop people from trying to ride players too hard and game the salary cap. Since we all have to consider that Bill Russell could have never played with Stephen Curry due to their obvious age disparity we can't expect that we should have to pay money to see our LeBron James have a blown out ACL because the sim tossed their magic 12 sided die.

If you want that kind of experience, you could always play in traffic.
No, I don't want James or any other superstar to miss extended time, and I explained that several times. I want regulars who played less than 80 games in real life to miss a game or 2 once or twice a season., I want guys who played 60 games or so to miss 3-5 gams once or twice a season. You know, the way it happens in REAL BASKETBALL. I've never seen a real team where multiple plyers played in all 82 games. Why should that happen here?
7/23/2022 7:05 PM (edited)
The problem is that if things changed to the way you want it, WIS would lose users and there is already a very small community of regular users for WIS basketball. And, for the most part, users would only draft players who played 80+ games in RL. It wouldn't make much sense to do anything else.
7/24/2022 8:09 AM
Posted by milest on 7/24/2022 8:10:00 AM (view original):
The problem is that if things changed to the way you want it, WIS would lose users and there is already a very small community of regular users for WIS basketball. And, for the most part, users would only draft players who played 80+ games in RL. It wouldn't make much sense to do anything else.
The leagues I have been in have had lots of starters that did not play 80+ games in their real life season. The top team in the league I am currently in has Jerry Lucas with 77 games and another guy with 79. Here they both played 82. Are you telling us that people would quit the game if Lucas had two one game injuries during the season and only played 80 games instead of 82?
7/24/2022 8:20 AM
The biggest problem I see is this. Say you have players A, B, and C. Normally A plays 36 minutes a game, B plays 12 minutes a game, and C usually spends most of the game checking out the hot chick in row four. So if A drank too much last night and doesn't feel like playing today his coach can tell B that he is playing 30 minutes and tell C he is playing 18 minutes. The lady in row four might be disappointed from the lack of attention, but the game is fine. The players play, the game happens, and everyone is happy. If this happens in WIS basketball, player B is now fatigued because you drafted a player with the intention of playing him for 12 minutes a game, not 30. Player C is also now wrecked because he only had 210 minutes to begin with and you weren't planning on playing him at all.
What you want is probably more realistic, but it doesn't make much sense for WIS basketball. People draft just barely enough minutes to make it through the season. I think most of us are fine with the way it is (regarding injuries) and don't need to throw another wrench into the gumbo.
7/24/2022 3:02 PM
Posted by savoybg on 7/24/2022 8:20:00 AM (view original):
The leagues I have been in have had lots of starters that did not play 80+ games in their real life season. The top team in the league I am currently in has Jerry Lucas with 77 games and another guy with 79. Here they both played 82. Are you telling us that people would quit the game if Lucas had two one game injuries during the season and only played 80 games instead of 82?
Would some people quit the game with a bunch of random injuries? Yes.
7/24/2022 4:28 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 7/24/2022 4:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by savoybg on 7/24/2022 8:20:00 AM (view original):
Would some people quit the game with a bunch of random injuries? Yes.
How does one injury for 2 games become "a bunch of random injuries?"
7/24/2022 5:12 PM
I think you've missed the part on the first page where minutes are part of a player's overall salary valuation - we should be able to expect to get those minutes

also, the sim is already too random so let us not inject some more elements of randomness, please
7/24/2022 5:17 PM (edited)
Posted by copernicus on 7/24/2022 5:17:00 PM (view original):
I think you've missed the part on the first page where minutes are part of a player's overall salary valuation - we should be able to expect to get those minutes

also, the sim is already too random so let us not inject some more elements of randomness, please
How about no injuries, but a player is limited to his real life minutes AND his real life games played? So if you pick a guy who played 3000 minutes in 77 games, that's what you get. A guy who can play 3000 minutes, but only in 77 games.

I also would not count fatigue from game to game. I would only have fatigue within each game. Teams rarely play on back to back days anymore, and with a day or 2 off between games these pro players are not gonna be tired from playing extra minutes 2-3 days ago. All of these guys played major minutes before they became NBA players.

I'd also like to see more moves taking place during seasons. Not WW moves, but like this. Teams have money coming in during the season that they can save up and then use to buy a new player and cut someone that's on the roster to make room for the new player. Teams would get let's say 10K per game for the first 60 games that could be put towards new player salaries. Whoever they drop they get back 75% of his salary pro rated for how many games the team has played. So let's say after 50 games they have 500K in their salary chest. They want to cut a guy making 239K. They would get back $69,951 (75% of 239K X 32/82). So if they had $0 going in they would now be able to spend 569K on a new player.

This would bring some GM strategy into the game instead of everybody just having to use only guys from their original roster or a lowly waiver wire. You could pick up a key player midway through the season this way. No moves allowed after game #71 is played.

OR, instead of dropping a scrub and picking up a good player, you could, after 60 games, drop a starter making $5 million, get back 1 million and put that with the 6 million from your income, and upgrade to a $7M player at that position.
7/24/2022 5:56 PM (edited)
savoybg, I have a suggestion. Try starting a theme league in which to qualify for the playoffs, no one on the team can play more games than they did in that real life season. See if the theme fills.
7/24/2022 6:36 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by savoybg on 7/24/2022 7:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 7/24/2022 6:36:00 PM (view original):
savoybg, I have a suggestion. Try starting a theme league in which to qualify for the playoffs, no one on the team can play more games than they did in that real life season. See if the theme fills.
I doubt it would. There's not much thinking outside the box here. People have gotten used to the way things are. Unlike every baseball sim I've used, they don't allow teams here to have extra players who are inactive who can be activated to replace an injured player. Here it's 12 players and that's it, with no waiver wire in most private leagues. I guess you also can't make trades here.
The baseball sim does allow both in season trades and inactive players to be called up. Some themes don't allow either of these scenarios because of the potential shenanigans.
7/24/2022 7:26 PM
Also, in this nba sim league, every team has 15 players (12 can be active at one time).
https://www.whatifsports.com/nba-l/view.asp?lid=69389
7/24/2022 7:43 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.