Buzz Capra, Season 71:Closed Topic

Historically one of HBD's top ranked worlds, we now have two open team. Capra offers tough competition and a strong balance. All teams must win 120 games every two seasons or face removal. No max on IFA/prospect monies. We also field an active board (myself, vikesxv, sjstapleton, mnnorthstars, jrnyfan01) that considers/reviews league concerns.

Potential owners will be screened to ensure integrity. We ask for a minimum 3-season commitment to join.

Rollover happened yesterday. Open team below.

Interested parties should send a sitemail to rls1.
5/11/2024 1:00 PM
5/11/2024 1:00 PM
5/11/2024 1:02 PM
Hey GM types. Join up with a great league, great owners, no drama, great competition. Capra is highly recommended by 9 of 10 dentists.

Last season’s World Series was won by a first-year-with-Capra owner. You could duplicate that. Think how cool that virtual WS trophy will look on your fireplace mantel!!

A fireplace mantel is not related to Micky Mantle, by the way. In case you were wondering.

And Buzz Capra is not related to Buzz Aldrin or Buzz Lightyear. Neither of those guys even came close to sniffing the major leagues while Capra was a decent big league thrower who had a terrific ‘74. That season he threw 217 innings in 39
appearances. 27 of those were starts. 11 of THOSE were CGs! He was 16-8 for the Braves that season, with a 2.28 league-leading ERA. Studly stuff.

For most of that season the Braves were skippered by Eddie Mathews, HOF’er. Hank Aaron played on that team. He’s a HOF’er, too….in case you were unfamiliar with the name. Dusty Baker, Future HOF’er, played CF for Atlanta that season. He and The Hammer both slugged 20 HRs that season! That’s 3 Hall of Famers on that team.

But wait! There’s more!!!

Phil “Knucksie” Neikro threw 302 innings for the Braves that season and lead the league with 20 wins!

Hey…..He’s in the Hall, too.

Neikro hit 7 homers in his career while Aaron, Baker and Mathews combine for the piddly total of 1509 homers. Aaron hit 755 of those….Baker/Mathews 754!! How cool and symmetrical is that?? Those figures are nearly equal…if the math escapes you.

Combined, Aaron and Capra hit 755 homers in their careers. Pretty neat. Niekro, Mathew’s and Baker hit 761! They win that best ball competition!

Steve Busby had 70 MLB wins, did you know that? And you know what else? His nickname was “Buzz!”

All of that means that some powerful force in the baseball universe wants you to join Capra! You can hear it whispering to you right now! You know you want to!

So join up already!

Phil Niekro would be dang proud of you. Do it for Knucksie!
5/12/2024 10:12 AM (edited)
Hey, I forgot this:

Capra has some cool and clever team names that are commonly related to the cities where those teams are located.

The Atlanta Peaches! Get it? Georgia is the The Peach State. Did you know that? And Ty Cobb was “The Georgia Peach!” Because he was from Georgia, of course.

The Philadelphia Cheesesteaks! It’s a sandwich. Philly is famous for them, I guess. I’ve never been.

The Las Vegas Lunatics! That one is a natural.

The Scranton Lackawanna! Which is sort of like The Cincinnati Pittsburghs, I think….since Lackawanna is a city in an adjoining state. Lackawanna supposedly means “stream that forks,” btw. Cool.

Or the Syracuse Sicilians! George Patton would have got that one.

Or the Detroit Hissing Cockroaches! How clever is that name? I’ve never been to Detroit either, but evidently they have some bodacious cockroaches.

Or the Seattle Picards!! “Beam me up Scotty. No intelligent life here!!” Wait, that’s the wrong Trek, isn’t it? Drats, I hate it when I do that!

Oh well….Capra needs you. “Make it so!” :)
5/12/2024 10:51 AM
Hard to top that, but here's my contribution. Are you a member of a world that has been around for 70+ seasons where it is impossible to dent the all-time leaderboards because of the ridiculous stats put up in Seasons 1 through 10? And no one can possibly reach the top 5 in any stat?

Look no further. Full leaderboards for all-time stats and post-steroid era stats are available on request. Here's a few from our world blog:
  • Most home runs hit in a season (post-season 15): https://caprahbd.blogspot.com/2023/11/on-homers-and-steroids-part-2.html
  • Most career homers (post Season 10): https://caprahbd.blogspot.com/2023/11/on-homers-and-steroids-part-3.html
  • Robby Meredith's Historic Season 69 Batting Average in perspective: https://caprahbd.blogspot.com/2024/01/robby-meredith-historic-batting-average.html
5/12/2024 11:05 AM
This is the very best HBD league. It will fill quickly, so don't wait.
5/12/2024 3:54 PM
Hey, did you know that Buzz pitched in the game that Hank Aaron tied Babe Ruth’s home run record AND the game in which he broke it? How cool is that. I watched Aaron break the record on TV!

I learned that about Buzz here….https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aMPNAmS4-0 On a YouTube video dedicated to Buzz!

C’mon man….now you have to join!
5/13/2024 11:42 PM
Buzz Capra, Season 71:Closed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.