PLAYERS REVOLT Topic

Aaron Sele plunked Geore Bell. George Bell ran out and swung at Sele on the fly. Sele ducked, Geore swung over him and on the follow through Mo Vaughn gave him a Ray Lewis like spear. It was funny, because it happened so fast, George off balance from the punch and Mo just from the side of your TV and then him and George gone off the right side. Vaughn was a rough dude.

4/19/2006 12:29 AM

Bid McPhee
1890-1899
4/19/2006 12:34 AM

Oscar Melillo

Given Name: Spinach, Ski
1899-1963
2B-3B 1926-37 Browns , Red Sox

Melillo's career, and life, were threatened by Bright's disease, an often fatal kidney inflammation, and he doggedly stuck to a doctor's prescribed diet of spinach, and nothing but spinach, until cured. A smooth-fielding second baseman, he was a Browns regular for nearly a decade. He became a popular coach and was a loyal lieutenant to Lou Boudreau with the Indians, Red Sox, and A's. (JK)

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/M/Melillo_Oscar.stm

4/19/2006 12:41 AM
Creative. And take heart, johnpaul. I was much more obnoxious than you, when I started regularly doing this forum (hm, recently missed my first anniversary).

BTW, Barry Latman -- not only reads, but looks Jewish. Obviously proof that WIS is anti-semitic (I know; old joke).
4/19/2006 1:27 AM
Why all the damn photos? What do they add to the discussion?
4/19/2006 1:37 AM
John Paul used a fun fictional story to make his point, and to provoke a response.
One thing What if Sports is marketed to be is a process to transform fantasy to reality, a virtual, cyber world reality.

There have been many threads discussing the SIM, and many people who once you see their name you can predict the point they will likely attempt to make again. Two Man Pitching staffs was one owner's identifying topic.

John Paul painted a great picture, with players similar to Kinsella's Field of Dreams, in the Iowa cornfield, entering the streets of Cooperstown to passionately debate the injustices of their Sim Value and frequency of selection to be on owner's SIM teams.
Prior to people becoming regulars on this site, how familiar would some of the cookie players be to baseball fans? Bob Milacki and Alvin Dark were discussed recently by people who received autographs from those former players. Milacki's name is probably more familiar to the majority of the people who use this site. I enjoyed the stories.
Willie McCovey is in poor health, it is more pleasant to picture him intimidating a pitcher on the mound in Wrigley, then greeting the current all stars with great difficulty because of failing health.
I wanted to see a picture of McCovey at Wrigley similar to the one in my mind's eye when I read John Paul's illustration. I found one with him along side Ernie Banks, probably at an All-Star game since it may be Roberto Clemente at the edge of the picture, that was the best I could do.
I am sorry you do not enjoy the photos, I was attempting to have fun in a way that was similar to John Paul's opening post in this thread.

4/19/2006 4:02 PM
The best way to deal with the ball park effects would be to make owners have to pay extra for parks with effects... in OL's anyway.

Everyone would get WIS Park (neutral) by default, unless they wanted to pony up an extra mil or so for something extreme like Coors or Safeco
4/19/2006 7:05 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By ooooohdoggie on 4/19/2006
I am sorry you do not enjoy the photos, I was attempting to have fun in a way that was similar to John Paul's opening post in this thread.

Sorry, I'm just a more word oriented than visual person.

And they make the thread slower to read when I'm going through my firewall.
4/20/2006 8:17 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By eastvanmungo on 4/19/2006The best way to deal with the ball park effects would be to make owners have to pay extra for parks with effects... in OL's anyway.

Everyone would get WIS Park (neutral) by default, unless they wanted to pony up an extra mil or so for something extreme like Coors or Safec
...i've been pushing that for years, but it'll never happen...
4/20/2006 8:31 AM
i loved the pictures...except the piece o dung that was Willie furcking Mays in a mets uni...pitiful
4/20/2006 12:24 PM

4/20/2006 1:13 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By stumpknocker on 4/18/2006
I wouldn't be surprised to find, if you could get them all to vote, that 50% of active users would just as soon have no normalization at all, and just go with the players' real life stats.
Obviously in the mega-minority here, but I'm an "active" user (ie. themes, forums, etc.), and I would actually prefer this. Not that it's going to happen.
4/20/2006 1:22 PM

4/20/2006 1:36 PM

4/20/2006 1:36 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By johnpaul0 on 4/18/2006

COOPERSTOWN, NY (AP) - Major League Baseball Hall of Famers and active players stormed the quaint city of Cooperstown today in protest of recent "ominous, idiotic" trends in Whatifsports Sim League baseball. Angered by the disrespect shown to HOF'ers and all stars in open leagues, many legends took to the streets.
"It's an abomination, plain and simple. Sadie McMahon threw underhand for crissakes, and he gets more innings in one season than I do in fifty," complained Steve Carlton, in a rare moment of outspoken candor with the media. "I'd like to see Al Orth face McCovey in Wrigley a few times, that'd fatten up his stupid hr/9 stat." Hoyt Wilhelm and Rollie Fingers were on hand representing legendary relievers, lamenting "it really bites my *** to see Barry Latman pitching for half the teams. I mean, I know he had a few effective innings in '58, but to be honest, the guy's career can't touch Aaron Sele's jock."
Pitchers are not the only victims. "Ya know, you'd think with all those extra base hits, great defense, and homers I hit, I'd get a shot once and a while," carped HOFer George Brett. Joe Morgan continued "I know Bid McPhee and Ski Mellilo are legendary baseball names, but I had a few good seasons too you know." Legendary outfielders with names like Mays, Musial, Snider, as well as a few active players like Jones, Hunter, Griffey, were on hand to voice their complaints. "Richie Ashburn's friggin' legs are going to fall off. How many seasons can that runt play before he pops a knee," whined Snider, continuing "if I played in that giant cow pasture Shibe with a bunch of flyball pitchers, I'd have some bloody range factor numbers that'd singe your hair. I could cover ground." Torii Hunter could only shake his head "Taylor Douthit, Chet Lemon, bite me."
Attorneys for the HOF'ers are filing complaints in federal court against the programmers of whatifsports. David Boies, lead counsel, summarizes the situation "There are serious issues with the credibility and playability of this sim. If certain irregularities in the sim engine are not addressed, I am afraid we will never be able to know the true credibility of these league results." All parties hope for a speedy return to something resembling reality, where speedy fielders, cavernous ballparks, and pitchers with statistical "illusions" built into their records do not routinely knock off players with proven, sabremetric value.
Attorneys for whatifsports could not be reached for comment.

The Baseball Hall of Fame in quaint Cooperstown, New York.

All Forums > Major League Baseball SimLeagues
Topic: PLAYERS REVOLT

◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...11 Next ▸
PLAYERS REVOLT Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.