PLAYERS REVOLT Topic

Quote: Originally Posted By mgcs on 2/07/2007

It would be refreshing to look at a lineup and see players other than Dawson & Ashburn.

What about the other greats that you never see such as the McCovey's Stargell's, Big Yaz, and Henry Aaron.

We should get more enjoyment out of this game other than checking the boxscore to see how many times Bishop walks or Douthit makes a great play. Johnny Bench, IROD and Parrish are not the only catchers who have played this great game before.

2/9/2007 2:35 PM

Quote: Originally Posted By The_Creeper on 3/05/2007

For all the normalization, A+++, Superman, OPS+, Steriod inflated numbers banter that goes on here, I really wish the game allowed for some of the All time greats to be included.
Steve Carlton will never be seen anywhere except in a 70s theme league. A Hall of Famer who is seldom used. Pete Rose. Was there a better leadoff hitter in the 70s? Joe Morgan. I hate the fool but he just sucks at this game.
Jim Palmer? Bruce Sutter? Willie Mays and Hank Aaron...seldom seen.
Excuse me while I write Luke Appling, Gorman Thomas, Taylor Douthit, Matt Williams and Max Bishop, Doc White and Johnny Niggeling into my lineup.

All Forums > Major League Baseball SimLeagues
Topic: The one missing link.

3/6/2007 5:10 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By rmk71278 on 12/15/2006
Wow that's a pretty insipid post.
I guess when you have the free time you can make your own sim, where only players you like do well.
Seriously, you should supply a list to WIS of how well players should do and how well your favorites should do because these pesky statistics keep getting in the way of you simulating what you expect based on fuzzy memories and the often jaded and scurrilous coverage of baseball by the mainstream media.
You know, just because you don't know a players name or remember him playing doesn't mean it didn't happen.
P.S. (sorry if anyone made this argument earlier, there are roughly 400 oversized and less than necessary pictures clogging up the thread so its kinda hard to read.)
any reason why you decided to be a ***** today?

3/6/2007 9:24 AM

Repercussions from johnpaul0's reporting have continued to rock the baseball world ...

3/16/2007 2:18 PM

efforts to cure baseball's ills, digging to find the root of troubles, or covering of hindquarters, depending on your
point of view, has kept many a famous baseball mind busy, ...

3/16/2007 2:22 PM

will all of the public, and behind the scenes efforts, produce the desired results?

We await the next What IF Sports baseball update to find out if all our hopes will be realized.

3/16/2007 2:24 PM

Roger Maris poses at the Babe Ruth Monument at Yankee Stadium. Maris and Mantle with President Harry Truman.
Roger has just been drafted by my 1957 Progressive League Team.

The Official Roger Maris Web Site

3/30/2007 2:34 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By dippydoinger on 5/08/2007

All Forums > Major League Baseball SimLeagues
Topic: Players Revolt

That one was really done well.

5/8/2007 4:48 PM
Because, you know, there aren't enough threads with pictures in them.
6/27/2007 2:01 PM

Al Kaline tosses the bat after a home run in 1955. 19-year-old Al Kaline sits on the bench with Tigers manager Fred Hutchinson in June of 1953 after signing a $35,000 contract to play for the Tigers. 1967 Sports Illustrated Cover

6/27/2007 6:03 PM

"Too bad about Ruth. If he had remained a pitcher, he might have lasted a long time and become famous."

Tris Speaker, Ruth's team mate in 1915, on hearing the news in Jan., 1920, that the Yankees had acquired Babe and planned to use him full time as an OF.

Mr Burgess on Ty Cobb influencing Ted Williams approach to the shift.
And another thing. Many here have suggested that perhaps he might have hit better by pulling the ball to his power field, and by cutting his stroke, he might have lessened his value as a hitter.

This might sound like a reasonable argument, and if I didn't know what I know, I might be open to it. But I know better. Ted was a student of hitting. And he was very tight with Ty Cobb, his good pal. Ty showed him how he could go to LF, WITHOUT CUTTING HIS STROKE IN ANY WAY.

Mr. Cobb was also a student of hitting. And his record proves he was the most valuable, effective, astute hitting coach who ever lived. Taught Heilmann, Simmons, Cochrane, Dykes, O'Doul, Manush, Flagstad, Fothergill, Wingo, Haney, Fonseca, and tons of others. Ty was the only known hitter who could hit murderous line drives down the LF line, as a -handed hitter, on an inside pitch.

Here is how he did it, and what he showed to Ted. When he noticed that there was a hole in LF, or the LFers was shading him too far to CF, he'd crowd the plate. Of course, that would invite the pitcher to come hard inside, to drive him back off the inside corner. Simple, old-fashioned ball.

But here's the twist. Ty would crowd the plate, inviting the brush-back, and knowing he was going to get it on the very next pitch. When the pitcher came in with that hard inside pitch, Ty would, while the pitcher was winding up, subtly, unnoticeably, move his back foot towards the 1st base dugout. He'd swivel his body alignment to where he was almost facing the 3rd base dugout. He was then so re-aligned, his back was facing the pitcher, instead of his right shoulder.

And in that position, he could take his full cut, not cutting his stroke whatsoever, and whistle that inside pitch down the LF foul line.

One would have thought that sharp-eyed observers would have picked up on his trick. But they didn't. He pulled it over and over again, and they never caught on. Maybe they couldn't believe he could actually do it, and never noticed how he'd subtly shifted his feet and swiveled his body alignment. Ty only did that at the very last moment, and most people were watching the pitcher deliver the ball, and not studying Ty while he awaited the pitch.

And that is what Ty showed Ted. Ted, who was supposed to be such a smart hitter. Smart my greasy butt! He could have improved his performance many points if he had the humility to follow a few of Ty's simple, but brilliant hitting tips.

And that is why I posted so over the top on Ted. I had my reasons. Always do.

Bill Burgess at Baseball Guru.comBRBRBR

Fever Members Photo Gallery:

10/9/2007 1:23 AM

Matty, Jesus, and Felipe Alou at the Caribbean World Series

October 5, 1951: L-R: Monte Irvin, Willie Mays, Hank Thompson

Baseball Fever > General Baseball > History of the Game Willie Mays Thread

3/7/2008 11:32 AM
In the early 80's several coaches and I were late getting to a coaching clinic. We stood in the back as the speaker was talking about hitting. We all thought we were good coaches because we had been to the state finals 3 of the last four years. As one of my coaches was listening to the speaker, he didn't care for some of the things he spoke about (slight upper cut through the zone, stance, etc.). After a while, he said, "Who's that idiot?". The coach in front of us turned around and said, "That IDIOT is Ted Williams". We all had a great laugh and never let that coach forget it. Of course, now, everyone uses the Ted Williams/Charlie Lau approach to hitting, but back then, hitters were taught to swing down at the top half and level out through the zone.
3/7/2008 9:49 PM
I take it back. It was the late 70's. What's funny about the story is that we all played college ball (3 of us were Division I). We were ALL taught in college to swing down at the top half and level out through the zone. Hitting instruction changed dramatically with Lau's teaching and tapes about Cobb, Williams and Brett.
3/7/2008 9:57 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...11 Next ▸
PLAYERS REVOLT Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.