PLAYERS REVOLT Topic

bump
2/1/2013 6:16 AM
Doggie, where ya been?  Haven't seen you around these parts in awhile...

2/1/2013 8:47 AM
Pedro did pitch to Lou Gehrig. Gehrig hit a home run. 

2/2/2013 6:58 PM
Since quantum physics tells us that every single possibility exists in some or other version of the universe - or one or another universe in the multiverse, somewhere there is a universe where the games that are merely our imagination and a computer simulation here are actually played and won and lost. 

Maybe when we play on this site we communicate with that world through a mental wormhole. Also I am rich and Scarlett Johannson is my girlfriend - and she wears that Black Widow outfit whenever I ask her too. 

I love physics. Don't know why they don't let me teach it. 
2/2/2013 7:01 PM
Posted by thejuice6 on 2/1/2013 8:47:00 AM (view original):
Doggie, where ya been?  Haven't seen you around these parts in awhile...

Hi Juice. Thank you for the warm welcome.

I departed rather suddenly back in 2009. Life, health, and changes I was holding out for at WhatIfSports not materializing, made it difficult to be as active as I had been.

I haved checked in occasionally, but hope to try a few teams again.

I had really hoped for positive changes when Administration looked at Baseball Progressive Leagues. 

But I ended up with a frustrating conclusion.  Administration did not understand Progressive Leagues,

Administration was very familiar with adjusting the simulation engine for people who played live, one game at a time. Because that was how they used the site.

I finally decided the changes I hoped for were opposed to how they viewed the baseball simulation.  A simulation that wants to closely resemble real life baseball for teams and players who progress one season at a time, does not work with an engine that reacts to quirks, cookies, new strategies, etc. . 

If one wants to win a single computerized baseball game, Eddie Gaedel, John Paciorek, Cisco Carlos, Hurricane Bob Hazle ,Smoky Joe Wood,Pete Reiser, 1961 Norm Cash are who an owner would want on their team. If the same person owned a real life baseball team you would want Stan Musial, Tony Perez, Don Sutton, Jamie Moyer, Tony Phillips, Ben Zobrist type players.

Fixes to the sim that negate over effective quirks make the sim less likely to mirror real life results.  Changes that make a half hour dice game harder to manipulate are not the same changes one would make to effect a dice game that takes 162 half hour rounds to complete.

I tried to work with administration when I was unable to continue managing my Progressive teams. I had plenty of credits and asked a like minded owner/ league commissioner, to handle the transition and gave him access to my teams and my account, unfortunately, that did not go as smoothly as he or I would have liked.

(  I had always tried to post my current Progressive teams several seasons ahead. As an example, if I had a team playing 1933/1973 Split Progressive League, I would like to have my current roster posted in my team pages for about the upcoming 5 seasons, 1934/1974, 1935/1975, 1936/1976, 1937/1977, 1938/1978 in this example.

I had tried to get assistance from the WIS Search site, as well as Administration,  to have a reference for players who were not continuously available in the Sim from their initial Sim season through their final Sim season.

Injuries and military service were usually the cause for these players to be out of our Sim in the middle of their careers, But there were players like Pitcher Fred Norman who has his initial Sim season in 1964 and does not reappear until 1970.

It would have been helpful to have a resource to find these type of players for every available season in the WhatIfSports Simulation.

An organized players available list for every season's Initial Progressive League Draft also would have been helpful.

I imagined WhatIfSports having very helpful resources available to anyone wanting to start a Progressive League.

For example a person wanting to start a Progressive League with an Initial 1947 Season, they could get lists displaying Players available sorted seferal ways, sorted alphabetically as well as by both position and salary. Since players sometime switch primary defensive position as their career progresses.

And also have a list for 1947 forward for those players whose eligibility and absence from the Sim go back and forth.  )

I have been enjoying the MLB Network and the return of the NHL. I am sorry for the problems that arose from my departure, and sorry to BigLenR for raising the possibility he may once again have a less peaceful, image filled existence here in these forums.

2/4/2013 8:12 PM (edited)
Well I, for one, certainly missed your posts and the pictures that accompanied them.  Good to see you back!
2/4/2013 10:11 AM

Larger Photo

Before they played at Riverfront Stadium and long before they played at the Great American Ballpark, the Reds called Crosley Field home. Today, with an assist from @uniformcritic, we get this stunning color photo of Crosley circa 1969:

Take note of three things: the rainbow above the foul pole, Pete Rose (#14) standing next to the batting cage and the 15-degree incline in left field, lovingly know as "the terrace." If you've ever wonder what inspired Tal's Hill at Minute Maid Park, that little incline is it.

The Last Summer at Crosley Field

4/11/2013 4:46 PM (edited)

4/11/2013 4:47 PM
The Crosley photo is really splendid ooooohdoggie, thanks. Even if you couldn't make out that that was Rose by reading the back of his jersey, you can tell it's him just from the stance. 
4/11/2013 5:04 PM

Jim Rivera, Sherm Lollar, George Kell & Nellie Fox 

Baseball: batting warm-ups, Chicago White Sox vs Detroit Tigers, Briggs Stadium, Detroit 8/12-13/1955. 

Hy Peskin Collection

4/11/2013 5:06 PM

Bobby Shantz                                                                                      Stan Lopata

Tom Haller                                                                         Don Drysdale 1959 Spring Training

all from Hy Peskin Collection - Baseball Legends

4/11/2013 6:03 PM

A Baseball Card that Never Was.

5/3/2013 4:38 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11 Next ▸
PLAYERS REVOLT Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.