PLAYERS REVOLT Topic

The Lau Legacy The Lau name is synonymous with legendary hitting instruction. Charley Lau Sr., the greatest pioneer of hitting of all time took the art of teaching to new heights in the 1970's and early 1980's. Lau unlocked the mysteries and myths of hitting by methodically observing, recording, analyzing and cataloging the complex act of hitting a baseball. His 10 absolutes of hitting synthesize the commonalties of all successful hitters. Lau spread his magic over the bats of The Kansas City Royals, New York Yankees and The Chicago White Sox. His most celebrated student, George Brett, is the only player in baseball history to win 3 batting titles in 3 different decades.

He wrote the book How to Hit .300, which supplanted Ted Williams's The Science of Hitting as the "Bible of Batting." Lau emphasized releasing the top hand after making contact with the pitch and following through with only the lower hand on the bat. This allows maximum extension of the arms and lets the bat maintain a flatter plane through the hitting zone. Lau served as batting coach for the Royals from 1971-1978 and taught his hitting style to Hal McRae, Amos Otis, Willie Wilson and George Brett. Other hitters to use Lau's method include Carlton Fisk, Frank Thomas and Mark McGwire. While serving as the White Sox hitting coach, he died in Key Biscayne, Florida at the age of 50 after a long bout with cancer.

23 years after his death, Lau s swing lives onWelcome to the Official Ted William s WebsiteCharley Lau s School of Hitting

3/8/2008 12:20 PM
That's funny. I actually have that Charley Lau -- Hitting .300 video.
3/11/2008 12:32 PM

Ron Santo, Willie McCovey, Willie Mays, Cleon Jones then Cleon Jones, Joe Torre

4/19/2008 1:56 AM

12/31/2008 11:48 AM

Coolest Baseball Poster EVER!!!! Anyone else have this one when they were kids? I did....
12/31/2008 3:05 PM
No, though I did have this one:

I always thought that dudes that had posters of dudes on their walls were a little light in the loafers. I did keep my baseball cards in shoeboxes though.
12/31/2008 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By johnpaul0 on 4/18/2006

COOPERSTOWN, NY (AP) - Major League Baseball Hall of Famers and active players stormed the quaint city of Cooperstown today in protest of recent "ominous, idiotic" trends in Whatifsports Sim League baseball. Angered by the disrespect shown to HOF'ers and all stars in open leagues, many legends took to the streets.
"It's an abomination, plain and simple. Sadie McMahon threw underhand for crissakes, and he gets more innings in one season than I do in fifty," complained Steve Carlton, in a rare moment of outspoken candor with the media. "I'd like to see Al Orth face McCovey in Wrigley a few times, that'd fatten up his stupid hr/9 stat." Hoyt Wilhelm and Rollie Fingers were on hand representing legendary relievers, lamenting "it really bites my *** to see Barry Latman pitching for half the teams. I mean, I know he had a few effective innings in '58, but to be honest, the guy's career can't touch Aaron Sele's jock."
Pitchers are not the only victims. "Ya know, you'd think with all those extra base hits, great defense, and homers I hit, I'd get a shot once and a while," carped HOFer George Brett. Joe Morgan continued "I know Bid McPhee and Ski Mellilo are legendary baseball names, but I had a few good seasons too you know." Legendary outfielders with names like Mays, Musial, Snider, as well as a few active players like Jones, Hunter, Griffey, were on hand to voice their complaints. "Richie Ashburn's friggin' legs are going to fall off. How many seasons can that runt play before he pops a knee," whined Snider, continuing "if I played in that giant cow pasture Shibe with a bunch of flyball pitchers, I'd have some bloody range factor numbers that'd singe your hair. I could cover ground." Torii Hunter could only shake his head "Taylor Douthit, Chet Lemon, bite me."
Attorneys for the HOF'ers are filing complaints in federal court against the programmers of whatifsports. David Boies, lead counsel, summarizes the situation "There are serious issues with the credibility and playability of this sim. If certain irregularities in the sim engine are not addressed, I am afraid we will never be able to know the true credibility of these league results." All parties hope for a speedy return to something resembling reality, where speedy fielders, cavernous ballparks, and pitchers with statistical "illusions" built into their records do not routinely knock off players with proven, sabremetric value.
Attorneys for whatifsports could not be reached for comment.

3/27/2009 2:30 PM

All Forums > MLB SimLeagues
Topic: Weird Morgan Normalized Stats ...

Quote: Originally Posted By bookism on 3/27/2009

I've heard a number of people complain how much '75 Joe Morgan sucks. Which is ashame considering his prodigious salary for that year (8.4 Million for 639 PA). After you take a look at his Performance History, you'll see his aggregate of 9 seasons does indeed blow. Plus, as a y, he should be getting a decent +5% against RHP which usually consist of around 75% or more of all OL pitchers.

So looking at his normalized stats, I saw some odd things. Now, he should be hitting better than his stats within the SIM due to his AVG being .327 and his AVG# is .330. But he's not. Upon further investigation, none of his "100#" stats are better than his real season stats. Specifically,

1B/100#

2B/100#

3B/100#

HR/100#

So how can that be? A higher AVG#, yet his invidivual basehit-type breakdown stats don't reveal that.

Beyond that, do any of you stat superstars understand exactly why Morgan '75 sucks so much? I'd love to use him, but that fear of him massively underperforming at a whopping 8.4 million is just too much of a grey cloud at this time.

Quote: Originally Posted By JohnGPF on 3/27/2009
...1B/100#, 2B/100#, 3B/100#, & HR/100# are all truncated, a huge display flaw which just doesn't get corrected...they could all be #.9 for all we know, and they should all be higher than his real life numbers except for the HR stat...

Quote: Originally Posted By eastvanmungo on 3/27/2009
The same thing happens with 1916 Eddie Collins. His AVG# is .316 and his RL AVG is .308... but all his /100# are below his RL numbers.

3/27/2009 2:31 PM

All Forums > MLB SimLeagues
Topic: What SimLeague Baseball has taught me.

Quote: Originally Posted By paland on 4/22/2009

Things that I have learned playing WIS Baseball:

1. Old pitchers from pre 1903 are dynamite pitchers and dont give up any HR's to anybody including Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire;

2. Therefore they must be using a dead ball like back then, except:

3. Pitchers like 2000 Pedro and 1995 Maddux do a great job against modern day players but really give up the HR's, especially Pedro who gives tons up against pre 1903 hitters who never hit more than a single their entire career.

4. Modern day Relief pitchers who had a .80 WHIP IRL will have a 5.00+ ERA in this game. Hell, they'll give up runs faster than you can keep up.

5. Players from 100 years ago must have been super men and todays players are real punks. That is, if I believe the stats that this game produces.

I'm not whining just because I'm losing. I just won a World Series and there is no way that my team should have won. My current teams are losing because they have players from post-1903 and are losing to supermen from the 19th century.

4/24/2009 2:15 PM

Quote: Originally Posted By Funksteady1 on 4/22/2009

Amen

LOL

I know how you feel

I wish I could use Steve Carlton but 11 millions is a tad expensive for a mop-up

I wish I could draft a homerun team but why waste the cash on guys who are barely going to get half of what I drafted cause of deadball supermen

I wish I didn't have to draft only pitchers with less than 2 bb#9 but with half the OL teams drafting Tony Phillips and friends, playing walkball/basewalk, no can do...

we do learn a lot though, damn these punks just can't play ball...

Quote: Originally Posted By cpdpoet on 4/23/2009

Quote: Originally Posted By Funksteady1 on 4/22/2009

I wish I could use Steve Carlton but 11 millions is a tad expensive for a mop-up
Being a Philly fan and open league C- owner, I must say............yup.

4/24/2009 2:16 PM
There you go, I knew someone would dig up this classic thread, thanx for the great pics.

One of the most dominant ies in the game, pretty much useless in this sim...
4/24/2009 4:08 PM
Well, since you bumped it up booger...

I finished two seasons with y, at Veteran Stadium, and he wasn't that bad but the funny thing is, his 1980 season played out considerably better than his uber 1972 season, contrary to what real stats and # stats would have us believe.

Still, for the money you can find a lot better arms.

So, yea, sorry y, you're not worth it in here...
9/1/2009 10:05 AM
Ok, for all those revolting against the sim for not giving enough respect to players mentionned in this thread here's a great opportunity to draft them and play baseball the way it was played in the 70's and 80's. No deadballers to kill the long ball, and it's an exclusive draft league so no eveybody drafting the same catchers to kill the small ball either.

The league is called Good old 70's and 80's league, you can look it up in the theme league classifieds forum, there's one spot .

Should be a lot of fun, exiting baseball the way it use to be before the steroid era, when hitting a HR actually meant something...

Plenty of great players you wouldn't usually dare draft and like real baseball you get exclusivity on players you draft, the real deal!
10/30/2009 6:48 AM
I started playing SIM baseball in Feb. 2005, and like a bad penny I keep turning up after several extended periods of being AWOL. I didn't understand the whole normalization thing back then but I made the playoffs with my first team by doing everything the forums told me not to do; I didn't draft enough innings, wore the WW out by dumping all my non-performing pitchers like Early Winn, etc. Hell, I didn't even know you needed a sabre to do mathematics. We had an abacus in the classroom when I was a kid. In junior high you were cheating if you got caught with a calculator.

Ya know what? After 30,000+ games, and 183 teams, I still don't completely understand all this math crap. I hate math! I don't give a fr#*k what X is! Still, I have a winning record and I've won a few championships and 1 TOC.

Here I am again! We'll see how well I can do with this latest update. I know I missed several before. I have some serious health issues and damn near died last December of Acute Renal Failure. Nothing cute about that. I am still dealing with 3 chronic conditions, and for a long time, I just didn't want to play this game. In fact, I really didn't feel like doing anything at all.

Pardon my loquaciousness, but what I'm saying here is you don't have to understand this completely to have fun playing. I personally think that trying to make the game completely realistic in every way is impossible. It's not reality, it's a game! Pedro is NOT pitching to Lou Gehrig, except in the SIM. Have fun with it and If you don't, maybe you should consider finding another hobby.

Nice to be back...again.

Play ball!
11/1/2009 6:05 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10|11 Next ▸
PLAYERS REVOLT Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.