Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Unless you have trades upcoming, do not leave any roster spot empty, except for your rookie team. AAA, AA, High a and Low A leagues starts their regular season at the same time as your ML team. I am guessing that the rookie league season will start AFTER the amateur draft.
Take the projected ratings you see with prudence. This is not exact science. In a trade i am involved in, my projected rating show that player as a 72. His owner sees him as a 87. As he spent $3 millions more on advanced scouting than i did, he might be closer to realty than i do. But , still, there are differences.
When hiring coaches, take a good look at their secondary stats. A pitching coach that also has discipline and patience would be worth it. Do not discount loyalty either. When you get your team, there is a list of the coaches that were there before you took over. I was able to sign 2 coaches that had high loyalty rating even tough my offer was not the highest. One of them responded that he wanted to get in the HOF in my team's uniform. So loyalty might make the job of rehiring coaches you want to rehire a little easier
6/1/2006 1:24 PM
Another thing to note is that if you demote a player from the MLB roster to AAA, he must stay in AAA for 10 HBD days (unless he is recalled to replace someone going on the DL). As you might expect from a rule that the MLBPA approved, the express lanes between AAA and MLB are set to be one-way only, up to the parent club.
6/1/2006 1:24 PM
And when a coach writes you back saying it isn't about the money, don't believe him. It is about the money.
6/1/2006 1:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by wolvie14 on 6/01/2006Unless you have trades upcoming, do not leave any roster spot empty, except for your rookie team. AAA, AA, High a and Low A leagues starts their regular season at the same time as your ML team. I am guessing that the rookie league season will start AFTER the amateur draft.
This is correct. Rookie-league play doesn't start until after the draft.

One thing I am doing now is bumping pitchers up through my system: deactivating batters in my minor-league system and promoting pitchers as needed, filling the spaces in Low A with rookie-league players. We'll be drafting somewhere around 25 players, so I'm not worried about filling holes in my RL lineups.
6/1/2006 1:26 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By toddcommish on 6/01/2006
Oh, and #5 above is big. If you play SLB, you're used to having a free bus ride from AAA to the Bigs and back. It don't play dat way in HBD. Before you even bring a guy up, you have to move him to the 40-man. Once he's up, you've used an option (once those are gone, you can't send him down unless he clears waivers). Also, you're starting him on the slippery slope towards arbitration and free agency.

and from what i've seen, most waived players are claimed
6/1/2006 1:27 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By zlionsfan on 6/01/2006Another thing to note is that if you demote a player from the MLB roster to AAA, he must stay in AAA for 10 HBD days (unless he is recalled to replace someone going on the DL). As you might expect from a rule that the MLBPA approved, the express lanes between AAA and MLB are set to be one-way only, up to the parent club

Remember also that if you demote a player that has low makeup, his stats will deteriorate.
6/1/2006 1:28 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By wolvie14 on 6/01/2006

Oh, and #5 above is big. If you play SLB, you're used to having a free bus ride from AAA to the Bigs and back. It don't play dat way in HBD. Before you even bring a guy up, you have to move him to the 40-man. Once he's up, you've used an option (once those are gone, you can't send him down unless he clears waivers). Also, you're starting him on the slippery slope towards arbitration and free agency.

Correction: Most DECENT waived players are claimed. So if you have some mediocre fourth OF in the ML with no options, and you want him to get ABs in AAA, you're not gonna be able to do it. Because you'll have to waive him before you send him down, and someone else will grab him.
6/1/2006 1:30 PM
Thank you all. Very interesting reading.
6/1/2006 1:37 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By zlionsfan on 6/01/2006One thing I am doing now is bumping pitchers up through my system: deactivating batters in my minor-league system and promoting pitchers as needed, filling the spaces in Low A with rookie-league players.
Here's a question: are you bumping up the guys you think will be quality players and leaving the losers in RL, or are you bumping up the potential losers to see what kind of stats they put up so you know which guys you'll want to cut later on?
6/1/2006 2:19 PM
i've been bumping up some lower-rated players just to fill roles on minor-league teams... i don't want to see an injury from overuse because i didn't spend the $19k or $46k to promote a guy from rookie league.
6/1/2006 2:27 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By wolvie14 on 6/01/2006

Not if they're "expensive". Of course, those of us in Aaron may have maximized salaries because we didn't know any better.

I passed a 2.8m 1B with 60+ across the board thru waivers. And I've passed on better/more expensive options.
6/1/2006 2:28 PM
Every guy I have hoped would be claimed from the WW went through, as they had salaries that no-one wanted to pick up.
I would say that putting a guy you want to keep on the WW means you will lose him, and putting a guy you want to lose on the WW will mean you keep him. Certainly plan that way.
6/1/2006 2:40 PM
Keep in mind it's a lot easier to pass guys through waivers once the season begins (and even just before), as everyone's rosters have settled. Early in the spring, people are more willing to throw a claim out there on the off-chance the player turns out to be useful.
6/1/2006 2:42 PM
Why do I have a feeling that I'm going to be the Isiah Thomas of HBD GM's after reading all of this?
Great job guys, keep 'em coming!
6/1/2006 3:36 PM
i dont have a team yet, but im really enjoying this thread, i hope i can learn from the mistakes you guys are throwing out for the benefit of the barbarians at the gates
6/1/2006 4:24 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...43 Next ▸
Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.