Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Don't necessarily go by the "Combined" rating. My best start so far is from a pitcher rated at 45. I'm still not sure what is "combined" to get the rating, but it shouldn't be your only criterion for keeping/dumping talent.
6/1/2006 4:39 PM
I tried to slip two ML'ers through WW to get them to AAA and both were claimed. It's an expensive way to learn a lesson.
6/1/2006 5:30 PM
Is it me or is there a lot less highly rated pitchers as there are position players.... In Arron at least Highly rated pitchers seem to be at a premium...
Don't know if this is a design or just a fluke of the random player generation for the world...
6/1/2006 5:36 PM
If you are playing HBD for the first time, be prepared to spend lots of time on your team...
6/1/2006 6:07 PM
I found the first two weeks to be very time consuming. You have 150 players. And you really need to know where your franchise is going before you start making moves. Figure out which players work well in your stadium and then make sure you've got something for your division mates at their field.
6/1/2006 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By david_brent on 6/01/2006
Is it me or is there a lot less highly rated pitchers as there are position players.... In Arron at least Highly rated pitchers seem to be at a premium...
Don't know if this is a design or just a fluke of the random player generation for the world...
I found pitchng to be at a premium and stamina to be even tougher to come by. I am carrying 11 pitchers on the ML roster and at least 12 everywhere else.
6/1/2006 6:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jmbreslin on 6/01/2006Here's a question: are you bumping up the guys you think will be quality players and leaving the losers in RL, or are you bumping up the potential losers to see what kind of stats they put up so you know which guys you'll want to cut later on?
I am bumping up guys who seem to have more potential (and are old enough that they should be better prepared for A ball). I'm not thinking too much about lower-level stats as a predictor for higher-level success. I plan to use trial-and-error, mostly, with a bit of consideration for ratings.
6/1/2006 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by david_brent on 6/01/2006Is it me or is there a lot less highly rated pitchers as there are position players.... In Arron at least Highly rated pitchers seem to be at a premium...

I believe this is by design, but maybe not in the way you were thinking. To use an idea from another thread, it's unlikely you'll see too many highly-rated position players with "natural" positions other than SS. Assuming that fielding plays a role in overall rating, SS is the position with the highest MLB average "requirements," so chances are pretty good that if you have a guy who's got 80s across the board, you'll put him at SS.

But I think that's just another reason to take overall ratings with a grain of salt. They'll give you a general method of comparison for like players, but won't tell you that much about players at disparate positions.
6/1/2006 7:04 PM
Read the Help screens. They are great and will answer many of your questions.
Plan your Player Personnel budget wisely. You will need to set aside a certain amount for draftee salaries, international player salaries, and minor league promotions. You also need to have additional money targeted for signing your own FA's and arbitration eligible players. Then you need to decide how much more to set aside for signing open FA's and for WW pickups. A smart GM will also build a cushion on to that. So while it may initially look like you have a ton of cash to spend, it goes quickly.
Look at every column in the player profile!! Sure you may be able to get that stud hitter with the 79 Contact - 87 Power for next to nothing, but look closer. He may turn out to be Milton Bradley. All that power won't do you much good if he gets suspended. Is he worth the risk?
6/1/2006 7:05 PM
A 7 day injury isn't always 7 days and so on. It could be more or less depending on your medical dept. I had a guy at 1 day for 3 HBD days.
6/1/2006 7:29 PM
Losing 6 in a row sucks...
6/2/2006 7:54 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By david_brent on 6/01/2006

seems to be the opposite in Ruth. My minor leagues are overflowing with very good pitching prospect. There seem to be a lack of decent catchers all around the league.
6/2/2006 9:08 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 6/01/2006
I found the first two weeks to be very time consuming. You have 150 players. And you really need to know where your franchise is going before you start making moves. Figure out which players work well in your stadium and then make sure you've got something for your division mates at their field.

In my case, what complicates the job is that my AAA stadium has Coors like effects while i play my major league team in Olympic stadium wich is a very different ballpark in terms of effects.
6/2/2006 9:10 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By Weena on 6/01/2006
Read the Help screens. They are great and will answer many of your questions.
Plan your Player Personnel budget wisely. You will need to set aside a certain amount for draftee salaries, international player salaries, and minor league promotions. You also need to have additional money targeted for signing your own FA's and arbitration eligible players. Then you need to decide how much more to set aside for signing open FA's and for WW pickups. A smart GM will also build a cushion on to that. So while it may initially look like you have a ton of cash to spend, it goes quickly.
Look at every column in the player profile!! Sure you may be able to get that stud hitter with the 79 Contact - 87 Power for next to nothing, but look closer. He may turn out to be Milton Bradley. All that power won't do you much good if he gets suspended. Is he worth the risk?

And if he doesn't have a high rating for his eye, he will strike out a lot ang get few BB. Do you want a Dave Kingman on your team. Maybe. Maybe not but you have to decide
6/2/2006 9:13 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 6/01/2006
I think you're stuck for three days whether he's claimed or not.

if you designate a player for assignment, he goes on the waiver wire, and won't play for three days (roughly 9 games) but it will clear the roster spot, so you can promote someone to fill the gap.
6/2/2006 10:02 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...43 Next ▸
Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.