Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Any thoughts on what is more important for hitting - power/contact or v.LHP/v.RHP?
6/4/2006 4:09 PM
Probably the y/righty ratings. A guy with high y/righty ratings but low contact will still (I think) be a decent hitter but he'll probably strike out a fair bit. A guy with high contact but low y/righty may not strike out much be he also (I think) won't hit very much. I have a guy on my bench who has 99 contact, 9 power, and low y/righty ratings (something like 33/17). Depending on how my season progresses I might give him a chance to play regularly just to see how those ratings play out in practice. The good thing about having players with extreme ratings like he does is that you can learn a lot about how the ratings translate into performance from them.
6/4/2006 4:23 PM
I smell a regression analysis emerging.
6/4/2006 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By worshipme on 6/04/2006I smell a regression analysis emerging
those are always fun to see
6/4/2006 4:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by carlnault on 6/04/2006meant no disrepect..wanted to use him as an example of looking at all the categories and not being nervous about a low velocity pitcher....

I know you didn't. Just putting that out there as sort of a "fit your needs" type thing.
6/4/2006 4:42 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By jmbreslin on 6/04/2006
Probably the y/righty ratings. A guy with high y/righty ratings but low contact will still (I think) be a decent hitter but he'll probably strike out a fair bit. A guy with high contact but low y/righty may not strike out much be he also (I think) won't hit very much. I have a guy on my bench who has 99 contact, 9 power, and low y/righty ratings (something like 33/17). Depending on how my season progresses I might give him a chance to play regularly just to see how those ratings play out in practice. The good thing about having players with extreme ratings like he does is that you can learn a lot about how the ratings translate into performance from them.

I don't know. I've largely ignored LH/RH ratings to start the season. I'm averaging almost 2 runs more per game than you. Of course, there's no telling if I've just faced weaker pitching because it's so early.
6/4/2006 5:28 PM
Injuries are a factor we've never had to work with before and boy can they make a HUGE difference. I was cruising along through the first 9 games 7-2 then I got hit with injury after injury (just the fall of the dice - no conspiracy theory here). My three top starters have gone down, one with a season ending injury totalling a whopping $17 million for this season and the effects ripple through your whole franchise promoting players who may or may not be ready.
Since the injury bug bit me I've dropped the last 5 in a row. It makes it a bit of a challenge to pick the right people to promote when you have so little Sim data to work on and varying opinions on exactly what the projected data on the prospect really means.
HBD is becoming my life. At worst I can fire myself.
6/4/2006 6:00 PM
I used my minor league pitchers a lot by comparison in ST. I'm paying for it in injuries and fatigue.
USE YOUR PITCHERS SPARINGLY IN SPRING TRAINING.
6/4/2006 8:01 PM
Mike, your player payroll is also $18 mil higher than mine. That could be the 2 run/game difference.
Nevertheless, part of the fun of this new game is learning what all these ratings mean and how they translate into performance. Only time will tell how important the y/righty ratings are.
Does that mean you're also ignoring the y/righty ratings for your pitchers?
6/4/2006 8:04 PM
I agree. I don't think we know what constitutes "important" ratings just yet. I only offered contradictory evidence so no one would be unintentionally mislead.
Yes, I've mostly ignored L/R ratings for pitchers. However, I've made full use of the split stats prior to setting my rotation for my next opponent. I've also used them to set my line-ups. I figure, after about 50 games, I'll see how the L/R ratings compare to the results.
6/4/2006 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 6/04/2006

I used my minor league pitchers a lot by comparison in ST. I'm paying for it in injuries and fatigue.
USE YOUR PITCHERS SPARINGLY IN SPRING TRAINING.
Ok I'm confused now. Someone has to pitch in ST. Are you saying that you used only minor league pitchers in ST or that you spread your pitching out to a lot of guys (and still have fatigue/injury issues)?

Bottom line, what would you do differently in ST to avoid pitcher fatigue and injuries in the regular season?

BTW, thanks for getting this thread going. Great stuff!
6/4/2006 10:59 PM
Many of us limited our SP pitch counts to 20 or 30, then used a ton of minor league guys to eat innings. That kept them fresher heading into the season.

I mean, who cares if you win spring games, right?
6/4/2006 11:02 PM
Hey Mudbone and everyone else from the two current worlds, how many guys were on your ST roster anyway and off of that how many were pitchers?
6/4/2006 11:04 PM
Do we have translations yet for glove/range...or said another way...what ratings are considered major league....for example, playing in tacoma, if the batter has a zero power, great eye, great fieding / range and great speed, is it possible to have an overall of 50? Is an 80range translate to A? Is a 75 fielding an A Do you need to have a speed of 99 to get Chone? Also, I am assuming that Tacoma will be the exact opposite of Coors. Therefore, barring major / minor injuries, will the defensive aptitude save the P/IP ratio as well? I'm also assuming two things....groundball ratio is better (less bad things can happen), and defense is even more important in HBD due to the initial balance of the squads...and oh yes, I am already looking for a team of Brett Butlers and Richie AShburns
6/4/2006 11:08 PM
I don't recall the ratio of hitters to pitchers. But with any sort of imbalance, you'll be forced to wheel and deal, which is tons of fun to do. you'll have plenty of time to get your roster in order before spring games start.
6/4/2006 11:17 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...43 Next ▸
Things we’ve learned in Aaron/Ruth Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.