New Coaches Lounge (Perpetual) Topic

If you are a new coach with a ton of questions about recruiting, gameplanning, players, settings, or if you would just like to ask a veteran coach a question or two about what's going on......you are in luck. This is the Lounge that is just for you. 21 veteran coaches who have coached at least 10 seasons each in Stagg world, have gotten together to give you a leg up.
Please be brief and to the point with your question and these guys will come up with the scoop! You may have coached a season or so already and you STILL have questions. Step right up and ask away....that's the purpose of this topic, that's the purpose of the New Coaches Lounge!
Here are the Veterans you will be dealing with....
Recruiting/ST

michaeldartt, mumcoach, showrunner, gt9766b, kaduce, cbag71, and carpediem33.

Offense

birdieparma, rollotomasi, dwhit34, mpmershon, brandonford, tommy_cian, and vichuck.

Defense

scoobybud, ddingo, drarcher, smithjd, thegrza, kyle128084, and cravedogg.

8/17/2006 7:42 PM
what is the best way to recruit?
1. big money up front
2. wait until the last minute
3 let the assistants pick (haha)
8/17/2006 8:00 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By cruzan69 on 8/17/2006

what is the best way to recruit?
1. big money up front
2. wait until the last minute
3 let the assistants pick (haha)
Good question Cruzan. I just sent you a sitemail on how I handled D3 recruiting. I hope it helps.
8/17/2006 8:05 PM
Hey WIS, could we please have this Lounge site 'pinned'. Thank you in advance for your attention to this matter.
8/17/2006 8:28 PM
I'm logged in and ready to answer some questions about offense! Guaranteed to be worth exactly what you're paying for it!
8/18/2006 10:50 AM
I got a question rollo, why didn't you let me beat you in the playoffs last season?
J/K great game and great run for you
8/18/2006 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By cbag71 on 8/18/2006
I got a question rollo, why didn't you let me beat you in the playoffs last season?
J/K great game and great run for you
Because I wouldn't have been able to lose in the Semifinals like I do every season if I had lost to you. 0-7 in Stagg final four games - yeah!!
8/18/2006 11:46 AM
I've got a question for you. When I'm studying up on my opponent before a game is there something in particular I should look for in their players? I'm thinking that the better the linebackers they have the more difficult it will be for my running game. From my experience their D line doesn't matter as much as the linebackers. Would you agree with this theory or not? Any help would be appreciated.
8/18/2006 11:58 AM
Hey michael!! Listen to michael he helped me alot w/ recuiting! Thanks again!
8/18/2006 12:35 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By coach73 on 8/18/2006
I've got a question for you. When I'm studying up on my opponent before a game is there something in particular I should look for in their players? I'm thinking that the better the linebackers they have the more difficult it will be for my running game. From my experience their D line doesn't matter as much as the linebackers. Would you agree with this theory or not? Any help would be appreciated.
I look at everything, starting with the DL. If the DL is appreciably stronger and better than my OL, chances are that they will make a lot of tackles on me, especially if I run a more conservative running game. If I can overpower the DL, I expect their LBs to make more plays, but that's what I want. If your LBs are tackling me, chances are I'm getting at least decent yardage on most plays.

If I have an advantage over the DL, I run more conservative. If it's a push or advantage to the DL, I run more aggressive to try to get outside. Of course, if the LBs are speedy and have good GI and Tackling, I may just drop back and throw the ball with high Distr % on my WRs. Unless the DBs are faster than my WRs and have good Tech and GI, then I just curl up in the corner with my bottle of vodka and cry.

Some of this goes out the window against better teams with coaches who I think might have analyzed my play-by-play enough to detect a pattern. Then I might change it up just to be unpredictable. Or maybe not. I try to keep 'em guessing. But they still always beat me in the semifinals.

A final note one the importance of DL vs. LB - last season, my DL made 385 tackles against only 218 for my LBs. This is clearly counter to what you have seen, so it obviously varies depending on talent and gameplanning.
8/18/2006 12:53 PM
coach73, in my experience for running, alot of that depends on your playing style. If you run a conservative game plan the DL plays a bigger part because you are running more between the tackles. As your game plan shifts to more aggressive settings you start running more to the outside trying to get to the corner and thats where the LB's come into play. Basically look for a weakness at DL or LB and adjust accordingly.
8/18/2006 12:53 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By coach73 on 8/18/2006I've got a question for you. When I'm studying up on my opponent before a game is there something in particular I should look for in their players? I'm thinking that the better the linebackers they have the more difficult it will be for my running game. From my experience their D line doesn't matter as much as the linebackers. Would you agree with this theory or not? Any help would be appreciated
I disagree. I look at the D line's strength and tech vs. the same cats in my O line and then their DB's tech, GI & speed vs. the same categories on my WR's. Then I'll usually go heavier run or pass depending on where I think I have an advantage(subject to change depending on what formations they run in certain situations)
8/18/2006 3:23 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By rollotomasi on 8/18/2006

Some of this goes out the window against better teams with coaches who I think might have analyzed my play-by-play enough to detect a pattern. Then I might change it up just to be unpredictable. Or maybe not. I try to keep 'em guessing. But they still always beat me in the semifinals.

A final note one the importance of DL vs. LB - last season, my DL made 385 tackles against only 218 for my LBs. This is clearly counter to what you have seen, so it obviously varies depending on talent and gameplanning.
I agree w/ this....so to summarize, on D order of importance (IMO) is DL, DB then LB.
8/18/2006 3:26 PM
This is all great stuff. Thanks for the info everyone. I'll see how things turn out Thanks again
8/18/2006 4:06 PM
yeah real good info about the coaching. thanks.
8/18/2006 4:22 PM
1|2|3...11 Next ▸
New Coaches Lounge (Perpetual) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.