New Coaches Lounge (Perpetual) Topic

The thing I do that I find extremely helpful is I have a spreadsheet where I log what I am using for my practice settings. Every time I take over a new team I work off of that base set and change it as I see fit. None of my teams are exactly alike, but they are fairly close.
8/23/2006 10:20 AM
Thanks a lot for the advice guys and the explanation guys. I wish we had a forum like this in my team's world. I hope ya'll don't mind me taking a peek and learning from reading this post.
8/23/2006 10:42 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By birdieparma on 8/23/2006The thing I do that I find extremely helpful is I have a spreadsheet where I log what I am using for my practice settings. Every time I take over a new team I work off of that base set and change it as I see fit. None of my teams are exactly alike, but they are fairly close
I also use the exact same individual practice settings with every team (standardization helps with multiple teams) but I'll adjust team practice settings based on the individual talent on the team.
8/24/2006 10:38 AM
Michael are you quiting after this season?
8/24/2006 11:16 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By danjerusone on 8/24/2006
Michael are you quiting after this season?
I sent you a sitemail.
8/24/2006 11:25 AM
Thanks WIS for pinning this topic for us......Now guys, remember...our purpose here is to inform and train the new coaches. In return for the 'pin' I have assured WIS that we will keep this post 'on topic'. Thanks to all of you for your help and focus.
8/24/2006 1:47 PM
How do you feel about the 3-4? Do you think a one set defense is possible to use in GD?
8/24/2006 1:57 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
8/24/2006 2:05 PM
I would agree. I think 3-4 in DIII is not a good choice. You really need dominate LB's for that. And its hard to get LB's w/ great GI, Spd, Ath, Str and Tak.
8/24/2006 2:40 PM
To address mink's other question - I don't think a one set defense is possible in D3.
First, the stamina ratings of D3 players are too low to effectively run one defense all of the time. By using a second set, it brings a different mix of players on the field which can take some pressure off some of the thinner positions. In addition, having a second formation allows you to vary personnel so as to take some more control over your rotation (and specialize people a bit - important at D3 where players are usually better suited for either run or pass defense, but not both).
Second, I think two formations lets you better deploy your talent against the varied attacks you will face. You can recruit so that the 4-4 is great against the run and the short-range pass attack (pro-set, i-form, etc) - it can be very effective in shutting down teams that try to mix it up by playing a balanced attack from those formations. However, if you roll the shotgun out against the 4-4 you presumably have your best LB on a WR and a second LB on the TE. This creates some very favorable offensive matchups.
So, is it possible? Sure. Can it be successful? I don't think so. A very talented D3 team could run the 3-4 or 4-4 (the only two candidates I think - you can only use one defense if you rely heavily on LBs) against most competition, but would be destroyed in the playoffs against very good teams.
8/24/2006 3:46 PM
A one set defense will kill you eventually. If I was playing a team that had only one defense such as 3-4 I'd sit in my shotgun for much of the game. If you are limiting your sets I'd limit your offensive sets. At a minimum i think you need 1 offensive set and 2 defensive sets. I have seen successful teams use just ND or just trips and I have seen successful teams use 1 defense for the run and 1 for the pass.
Personally I like to have multiple sets and always have 3 defensive sets (sometimes 4).
8/24/2006 4:56 PM
To expand on what tgrza said...

I think you would be much better served by running two defensive sets. One primarily to stop the run, something like the 4-3, 5-2 or 4-4 and one to stop the pass like the nickel or the dime.

Each set has positives and negatives and you should experiment to see which works best for your team. Practice with them and make sure you fit your sets best to fit your team strength. If you have a lot of quality DL's go with the 4-4 if you have a lot of quality DB's go with the dime, etc...

Hope that helps.
8/24/2006 5:00 PM
you do not need to practice every defense you use, but to use 1 defense against every style of offense would be a disaster.
8/24/2006 11:37 PM
I practice a basic defense (4-3) and a pass oriented defense (nickle) but on obvious running downs I will drop into a run stopping defense (5-2 or 4-4) which I dont practice
8/26/2006 1:34 PM
Question
Other than the FAQ categories, what 2 categories do you believe are most important for OL and DL (I know. . . I know. . all categories affect players, etc. OR it depends on formation you are running . . . .) But in general if you have to choose 2, which 2 are next in importance.
8/28/2006 10:34 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...11 Next ▸
New Coaches Lounge (Perpetual) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.