New Coaches Lounge (Season 18) Topic

I may not be that new but on setting up the run does more aggresive mean that your team runs outside and conservative mean they run inside.
10/18/2006 7:38 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By boozerep on 10/18/2006

I may not be that new but on setting up the run does more aggresive mean that your team runs outside and conservative mean they run inside.
Yes, it also means he will try to break more tackles and gain the extra yardage. A lot of people steer clear of very aggressive because they think their RB will fumble. But, I have used Very Aggressive, for every team I've ever coached, except one. The reason I didn't that year was because their were these Super-Recruits in Stagg (literally, in season 2 the Sim teams were able to recruit players 75 - 100 overall points higher) and my lesser recruits couldn't run against these beasts without fumbling. So, if you are vastly undermanned talent-wise, then you may want to run balanced or conservative.
10/20/2006 11:47 AM
I'm a little confused about recruiting battles? I've lost some before and I won one this season, but with recruiting is it fairly safe to say that when you are losing a battle you get messages like:
  • Umm...thanks for the offer, but I'm going to have to pass right now.
  • Utah State sounds like a nice place and your program sounds good, but I still have some concerns.
  • It was nice meeting with you, Coach. I'm still not entirely sold on Utah State though.

When you are winning a battle you get messages like:
  • Wow! A call from Utah State! Your program sounds like a perfect fit for me.
  • Today felt better than Christmas when I received your letter. Knowing that Utah State is interested in me has brought me unmatched joy.
  • I can't believe you are interested in me playing for you, Coach. Just say the word, and I'll be there.
  • Coach, thanks for bringing me in for a look at campus. It looked even better in person than it did in the brochure.

I guess my question is how safe is to back off recruiting the guys super hard so you don't overspend when you are getting the good messages?
11/1/2006 1:23 PM
They are never 'safe' until they are signed. Sometimes it is okay to backoff, other times it is not....your call. I've had the 'positive' messages for several cycles and then BAM.......they have signed with the other team. It can happen fast and it can happen over many cycles.....brings me back to the first post......they are never 'safe' until they are signed.
11/2/2006 8:04 PM
Even if you are getting the Winning the battle messages, you may infact be behind. You received those messages after putting money into him. You may in fact be slightly ahead but the school you are battling may not have gone through it's recruiting cycle. Say the other coach puts 3 campus visits right after you made 1 visit. He may tell you I cant wait to roam the halls at .... then gets the CV from the other school and now they are ahead. It happens all the time. If you lay off heavily recruiting him for a cycle or 2 then just call him and still hearing the same, you're probably ok for now. A lot of coach's will just hang around until after signings begin and slowly keep pumping money into him hoping you've already spent all of yours in other battles. So they are right. Until he is signed, he is never safe.
11/4/2006 8:48 AM
I had a small class of 5 this time and decided to take the overs deep into siginings this recruiting period so I didn't really get to experience the new system. Does anyone have any strategies for the new system? Or can anyone tell of their experience, what worked/didn't work?
11/5/2006 1:25 AM
mwjohnell, honest....I found recruiting to be about usual. Believe it or not...I was able to recruit closer to home than last season. It actually seemed to be easier to find and land pretty decent players. Don't know if everyone else had the same experience or if mine was just.......unique. With distance costs being scaled, it is easier to target what you want to spend.
11/6/2006 7:47 PM
Carpe, i rarely get over to the Stagg forums, and haven't looked at this thread before. That's a nice service you guys are providing for noobs.
11/14/2006 4:56 PM
During my recruiting period, should i keep my goals set low (only D-III level prospects) or aim a bit higher (low 1-AA or D-II)? how is a team expected to climb out of mediocrity if it continually recruits lousy prospects? whats a good amount of money to spend on a recruit at a D-III level school?
11/27/2006 5:38 PM
This is my very first season so everything is very new, however this forum has been a great teacher.
My Question: About how many players should I have for each of the following positions: OL, DL, LB, DB, K and P?
11/27/2006 9:55 PM
OL 8 or 9
DL 8
Lb 6 or 7
Db 8
K 1
P 1

Many very good coaches only use a K or P, but not both
Number of Lb's varies from person to person i like 6 but run mostly 4-3 many use 7 or even 8 and run alot of 4-4
You can also get away with using only 8 OL but i prefer 9
Hope this helps and GL

11/28/2006 10:37 AM
Thanks for the help mpmershon.
One more question: Since this will be my first recuiting season I am a little intimidated by the whole process. Do I need to be around and contacting recruits the moment it begins (ie 12:01), and is there a standard order I should use to contact, like phone call first then campus visit, and so forth?
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
11/29/2006 2:25 PM
Novar,
It is imporatant to be around for the first few cycles. You become considered on recruits and that can keep others away. This doesn't always work, some people will start battles for recruits no matter what you do.
The 12:01 cycle ends at about 2:30ish, so it is important to be on for that cycle and probably the next (2:30 till 5:30). After that it is ok to miss here and there but I try to be on for most.
There is another theory that alot of succesful coaches use that is to not be on for the first cycle. Let the diehards that want a specific recruit get on their guys, then take the people who have not been recruited heavily yet. I feel this is a pretty good strategy for new coaches.
Also I quickly looked at the ditribution of your recruits (not the quality). Based on numbers, you have 8 open schollies and not that many holes. You do have a huge Jr class, 22 players, so you will want to prep for that at some point.
I would shoot for these positions:
2 RB
1 WR
1 OL (next year you will need to sign 1 or 2 to prep for that jr class' graduation).
2 DL
1 LB
1 DB
At first, I would pick 4 guys (I would get a RB, WR, OL, DL), all on the DIII search and none of them the 'best' guy within 250 miles. All kinda in the 15-30 range for their position (within 250).
Only go after these 4 until after signings start. At that point, you will have a little experience with recruiting (quality, cost, poaching, etc...). Then target 2 more (say the DL and LB). You can adjust up and down (quality wise) based what the first four cost you and what is available.
Once the next two are signed (and 1-2 days into signings) go after 1 more, then when he signs, 1 more.
Your first time out you will probably run out of money somewhere around recruit 6, don't be discouraged alot of people do this.
Last thing. Don't give a scholly offer till at least the cycle after the recruit is considering you, it's not worth it. And don't go after 20 recruits at once, you are wasting money, you are only able to sign 8 max.
11/29/2006 11:03 PM
11/30/2006 8:51 AM
shoot sorry about the wasted space guys i am hoping to get some ideas on taking my team to the next level i have had 3 seasons at 7-6 I've only had one open scholarship in four seasons recruiting. my conference is tough with at least two playoff and one being a perenial national power. I understand football at schemes well enough i am comfortable with my game plan. Should i take a shot next season on recruiting a couple studs or just continue to add 410-420 players every year and eventually break out of this slump.
11/30/2006 8:57 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...8 Next ▸
New Coaches Lounge (Season 18) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.