Upstate CAC Coaches Thread Topic

I jumped on the man-to-man bandwagon and found that while I was still losing, my FG% defense got better. The points allowed didn't vary much, but I was defending the field better.

I had been flipping between a 2-3 and a 3-2, depending on the orientation of the opponent's offense (guard heavy teams got a 3-2).
1/6/2007 6:49 PM
Unable to join yet...
1/7/2007 12:51 PM
So who's leaving? For jgsolari to join someone must be leaving...but who?
1/7/2007 9:46 PM
Coachcj is gone...so Rensselaer Poly is available
1/7/2007 9:49 PM
jg, new coach signups will be Tuesday morning 3am eastern.
1/7/2007 10:32 PM
Thanks. Will see if I can rebuild RenPoly for the 2nd time. Going to be a LOT tougher with the great coaches here - but thats why I may be returning after all.
1/8/2007 11:40 AM
may be harder, but may be easier too. because of all these great coaches, you have an extra $2K to work with in recruiting.
1/8/2007 1:33 PM
The past two cycles I've been unable to recruit any guys... time to bust out... how do you guys effectively recruit while dealing with a busy schedule? That's why I've been out in the cold -- lack of time.
1/8/2007 3:41 PM
Season 20 Preview
NORTH
1 - Skidmore
Skidmore returns its entire lineup from last season in which the team as a whole believed the they underperformed. "we reary rike our shances to win dis year" say team captain Lei Chu. Skidmore is looking for no less than a conference title and a deep NT run this season.
2 - Hobart & William Smith
A year after an alleged office pool scandal involving coach cr1spy nearly cost him his job, the team is looking to move forward. They lose the Upstate Player of the Year in James Turner, but they return five players who averaged double figures in scoring last season to help lead the #3 offense in the nation to the second round of the NT.
3 - St. Lawrence
Their starting lineup gets hit hard losing 3 members from its regular season conference championship squad. They are led by junior SF Harley Robinson (First Team All-Conference) and coupled with outstanding team depth St Lawrence should not skip a beat and could very well be competing with Skidmore and Hobart for the top spot in the North. Add in Robinson's classmate Michael Bryce and St Lawrence has a lot to look forward to in the next two seasons.
4 - Hamilton
Led by second year coach mdukes, Hamilton is poised for a breakout campaign. mdukes has turned the school around in just one season and is looking to join the top of the pack in the North. They suffer a couple big losses in the frontcourt in Hynes and Wise. But they will be led by four seasoned seniors, and their hopes ride on the shoulders of John Bailey and Ernest Cordray. Those two will be looking to fill the void by the departed big men.
5 - Rensselaer Poly
Every respected college basketball analyst has RP picked dead last this season. They are getting no respect, and rightfully so, they sputtered last season even with eight upperclassmen, and they havent really gotten anything going for a few seasons now.
But I have been getting unconfirmed reports that jgsolari has taken a couple trips to Stockholm, Sweden. Apparently the current DI college coach has been seen visiting cloning clinics. Sources close to the coach say that he is taken aback at the situation at RP, and not wanting to give up his current tenure at Fairleigh Dickinson, cloning was the only option. "I have heard the rumors, and we would welcome him (or his clone) back with open arms" says current RP athletic director Foo LaSheit. "This would be like John Wooden coming back to UCLA, it would completly resurrect this program." Thats good enough for this reporter, if anyone can will a few extra wins out of a team it is jgsolari. Hope the rumors are true.
6 - Clarkson
After starting last season 7-4 Clarkson hit a losing streak and just could not prevent the downward spiral. they lost 14 of their last 16 and proved just how tough this conference is. They, just like Hamilton suffer heavy losses down low and will need an excellent recruiting class of PF's and C's this season. Their entire backcourt comes back and will look to carry the team, but coach jared will need to pick up at least one solid frosh big man that can start contributing right away to make Clarkson competative.
1/8/2007 4:44 PM
NORTH
1 - Brandeis
Brandeis comes into the season only losing one player to graduation. It is a big loss however, when its your team leader and star PG JosephRuszkowski. Their depth at the guard spot should overcome the loss of Ruszkowski, and the developement of Brandeis' big men over the summer will be key. If Elmo King and Dennis Phillips can take their game to another level this season, there's no telling how good Brandeis could be. What this reporter does know is that Brandeis is hungry and they are positioned to win one of the toughest divisions in college basketball.
2 - NYu
Like Brandeis, NYU loses its top player in Gerald Domenico. It will be a transition for NYU, but with Matthew Kubik poised and ready to fill those shoes they shouldnt miss a beat. The "fab 5" recruiting class of season 18 now has two seasons under their belt and they are ready to make a name for themselves as well. Look for NYU to challenge Brandeis and Chicago for top spot in the South.
3 - Chicago
Chicago has the best starting lineup in all of DIII. Their starting five would rival that of many DII schools. And the abundance of talent doesnt stop there. They have a bench full of players that could be starting at most other schools. So how does this reporter rank them third in their division you ask? Easy, i recently visited the Windy City and sat in on a practice. And let me tell you, the team is in disarray. Players are bumping into each other, assistant coaches have no control over the team, its just madness. I even saw their coach looking over defensive plays and using a magic eight ball. Even in the state that they are in, they should get to 18 wins no problem. But this team has the potential to be in consideration for the top three in the nation, not their division. Only time will tell if Chicago can get things straitened out.
4 - Washington
Washington comes off their best season in school history. A 26-6 record gave them their first 20 win season, their first confernce title, and their first postseason birth. With the loss of four starters it will be nearly impossible to duplicate those numbers, but the core of players returning will not give up on the season. The backcourt stays strong only losing starting SG Randall Brookins. The post is where the problems will come from for Washington this season. Untested senior Center Chris McBurnett will have to elevate his game and take on a big roll if Washington is to have any success this year at all. The team and coach are confident and are looking to get in a few upsets this season.
5 - Rochester
Rochester loses two starters from last season, the effects of which should not be felt by the team. They have a strong group of players returning for their senior campaign, and look for Rochester to break out this season. The key to their success lies in their senior SF Richard Dexter. If he finishes the season as one of the leagues scoring leaders, look for Rochester to possibly be making a late season push for the NT. It should be a great fight for the fourth spot between Rochester and Washington. If Stephen Bader steps up his game as well, look for Rochester to even nip into the top three. Its hopes ride on the combo of Dexter and Bader.
6 - Case Western Reserve
Finally we have Case Western. They have performed well on the court in the past few seasons, but its off the court trouble that has this school in some trouble. Investigative reporter for the AP, Pea Pingtom, says she has been on the trail of Case Western coach ampbyu for some time now. Pingtom has uncovered that the coach has had to take up a second job. Apperantly Case Western has not paid the coach for a couple seasons now and he has only stuck it out for his love of the game and devotion to his players. This has taken its toll on the team however, as ampbyu has not had ample time to devote to recruiting and is only returning 3 players this season. School AD, Penn E Pincher, did not answer our phone calls, but we have gotten reports that Coach Amp has began contract negotiations.
1/8/2007 4:49 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By ampbyu on 1/08/2007

The past two cycles I've been unable to recruit any guys... time to bust out... how do you guys effectively recruit while dealing with a busy schedule? That's why I've been out in the cold -- lack of time.
the best strategy for your time constraints is to wait a couple cycles. see who's undecided still and go after them pretty hard. you should be able to get guys considering you for fairly cheap. and have enough money to fend off latecomers.

another strategy for this season is to go for guys in remote areas. You have a lot of minutes and starts that you can promise. do a search for recruits in arizona, new mexico, etc.... where you wont get a bunch of competition. offer a start, minutes, and a schollie. you should be able to land two or three guys that way. dont get too many, as you might need to offer minutes or a start to a local recruit that you are in a battle for.

1/8/2007 5:16 PM
WOW! So many good recruits out there!
Ampbuy... this is what I would suggest if your time is limited recruiting.
1. Make a list of 10-15 players that are within 100 miles of you that catch you interest. If there arnt that many good guys within 100 miles go as far a 300.
2. Once recruiting starts pick 2-3 guys and dump 1000-2000 into them along with a schollie but make sure they are close and no one else is trying to recruit them.
3. After signing begans take one final look at possible recruits and make last ditch effort to sign all open schollies (1 can remain open for a walkon).
SO BASICALLY DURING RECRUITING PEROID YOU WILL NEED TO CHECK IN ATLEAST 2-3 TIMES TO HAVE DECENT RECRUITS. Plus give yourself 15-30 minutes each time you check in if possible to ensure those are guys you want. If you dont have that much time(I spend 10-15 minutes when I wake and sometimes 10-15 before going to bed...drives the wife nuts but keeps my teams competitive)just check in 2-3 times during recruiting and dump money into guys that are close to you and not considering any other teams.
1/10/2007 10:32 AM
Loved the preview, I can't believe my secret 8 ball formula was revealed. That might not be a bad thing, because lately all it keeps telling me is "ask again later"
Amp, since we're in D3 I'd just wait until signing day to even consider begining recruiting. That is when the bulk of D2 tweeners start to drop, and you can often sign those kids pretty quickly, especially if you have some PT to offer (at least 15 minutes, as 10 doesn't seem to have much of an effect).
Too be honest, I don't really like the changes in recruiting in regards to D3. I used to try and nail a kid or 2 right off the bat at 6:00 that was my top priorities. I figured if I was in early on their consideration list in in good shape finacially to land them, it would reduce the amount of competition that I might see. Occasionally you could land a really good player for 1.5k b/c no other coach ever shows up. Now I don't really even begin recruiting until the drop downs start showing up in D3.
On top of that, it gives an extra advantage to the D3 elites. In the past, you could figure out who the tweeners were, and you always had to be a little cautious of a D2 coach showing up. It burned me a couple of times where I'd dropped 2k into a kid, only to have a D2 coach show up late. Now I don't see that level of kid until after the signing period has started and they've dropped down to D3, meaning the odds of a D2 coach showing up at the same time and signing a kid in 1 or 2 cycles is dimenished.
1/10/2007 10:47 AM
"Skol" the crowd roared in the crowded Russell Sage Dining Hall on the
campus as JoeHoyaSaxa strode into the room. Just off a SAS flight from Scandanavia, he was the spitting image of former RenPoly coach jgsolari3....
Great write-up Polo, glad to be here!
1/10/2007 12:50 PM
one more tip amp, try and schedule your time around each cycle. 11, 2, 5, 8. (ie - if you do your recruiting at 7:45 all you have to do is wait 15 minutes to recruit again. its only 20 minutes but you hit up two cycles)
1/10/2007 1:05 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...45 Next ▸
Upstate CAC Coaches Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.