NEW YORK JETS DRAFT+ GREAT FAN PAGE Topic

I need 5 points tonight and have the DET defense. Would like to request some picks/sacks by Darnold.

Thanks in advance.
9/10/2018 11:13 AM
I need 15.04 points and I have Detroit "d" and Stafford going, opp. is done. Sat Eagles D on purpose, sat Mahomes in a big mistake
9/10/2018 12:38 PM
Whew. won by exactly 5 points
9/11/2018 4:16 AM

Darnold recovers from 1st-play pick-6, helps Jets rout Lions

• STATS AP
  • Sep 11, 2018

DETROIT (AP) Sam Darnold rolled right and made a rookie move, lobbing a football across the field that was picked off and returned for a touchdown.

It might've been his only mistake all night.

Darnold made a stellar debut after throwing a pick-6 on his first NFL snap, and the New York Jets intercepted five passes and also scored on special teams in a 48-17 rout over the Detroit Lions on Monday night.

The 21-year-old Darnold became the youngest quarterback to start a season opener since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, and looked his age on the first play.

''Licking my chops a little bit too much, I think, on that play,'' he said

Quandre Diggs intercepted his ill-advised pass and returned it 37 yards for a touchdown 20 seconds into the game.

''On that interception, I was pretty nervous,'' Darnold said. ''After that, I put it behind me.''

The former USC star, drafted No. 3 overall, shook off the nerves and finished 16 of 21 for 198 yards and two touchdowns . He is the first quarterback to win his first start by 31 or more points since Tom Brady in 2001, per ESPN Stats & Info.

''He didn't flinch,'' Jets coach Todd Bowles said. ''He didn't even blink.''

Darnold helped the Jets set a franchise record for points on the road, surpassing the 47 they scored in 1967 against the Boston Patriots.

He also outplayed 30-year-old Matthew Stafford.

Stafford threw four interceptions - one shy of his career high - and left the game briefly in the third quarter after being hit from the front and back by the swarming, hard-hitting Jets.

''We wanted to make sure we came out and made a statement in this game,'' New York linebacker Darron Lee said.

9/11/2018 4:16 AM

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) Frank Gore moved up in the NFL record books with a history-making run - and helped deliver the Miami Dolphinsa victory with a game-sealing catch.

Gore moved past Curtis Martin for fourth on the career rushing list, Ryan Tannehill threw two touchdown passes, Kenyan Drake ran for a score and the Dolphins took advantage of several mistakes by Sam Darnold and the New York Jets for a 20-12 victory Sunday.

But with the game still hanging in the balance late in the fourth quarter, it was the 35-year-old Gore who reached back into his playmaking past. On third-and-19 and the Dolphins nursing an eight-point lead, Ryan Tannehill threw a short pass to Gore, who got his hands on the ball and zipped up the field for exactly 19 yards before going down.

''Frank made a heck of a catch there down low,'' Tannehill said. ''I was off-balance and the ball just went straight down on me. Frank did an amazing job of scooping that thing, making the catch and getting the first down.''

The Dolphins were able to then run out the clock, giving them their first 2-0 start since 2013.

Gore earned a game ball from coach Adam Gase for that play as well as his 8-yard run in the third quarter that put him behind only Barry Sanders, Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith.

''It's kind of mind blowing,'' defensive end Cameron Wake said. ''The team as a whole is honored to play with the guy.''

Gore, in his first season with the Dolphins and 14th in the NFL, finished with 25 yards on nine carries.

''It means a lot,'' he said. ''I've been doubted my whole life, coming out of college (at Miami) with the injuries that I had. People were saying I would only be in the league two or three years. I'd be done. I've been blessed to keep going and have success.''

T.J. McDonald and Xavien Howard each intercepted Darnold, and punter Matt Haack consistently put the Jets (1-1) in lousy field position to start drives.

Tannehill finished 17 of 23 for 168 yards and also ran for 44 yards on eight carries for the Dolphins, coming off a win in the longest NFL game since 1970 merger by outlasting Tennessee in 7 hours, 8 minutes last Sunday.

''What we're doing out there is close to what we're looking to do,'' Gase said of his team. ''We just have to do a few things better.''

SAM'S START

After a solid NFL debut, the 21-year-old Darnold struggled a bit in this one. He was 25 of 41 for 334 yards and a touchdown with the two INTs in his second NFL start, but struggled to get the offense moving.

The Jets will have a short turnaround, with New York traveling to winless Cleveland to play Thursday night.

''Just missed opportunities,'' Darnold said. ''I think that goes for every game where you look at all the plays you wish you could have back. Again, short week, got a game Thursday and we've got to right back to it tonight.''

Darnold got off to a much better start than in the Jets' opener in Detroit, when his first NFL pass was intercepted and returned for a touchdown. But on the Jets' second possession in this one, Darnold turned it over when his pass intended for Quincy Enunwa was intercepted by McDonald.

Three plays later, Drake took the handoff from Tannehill up the middle for a 6-yard run to give the Dolphins a 7-0 lead.

Miami took advantage of another turnover after Darnold completed a 10-yard pass to Robby Anderson, who had the ball knocked out of his hands by Kiko Alonso. Raekwon McMillan recovered for the Dolphins at the Jets 49, giving Miami a short field. Albert Wilson scored on a 29-yard catch to make it 14-0.

9/18/2018 5:55 AM

CLEVELAND (AP) For the first time in 635 days, the Cleveland Brownswon.

Baker Mayfield showed them how.

The No. 1 overall pick replaced injured starter Tyrod Taylor and sparked the Browns, who got two 1-yard touchdown runs from Carlos Hyde and beat the New York Jets 21-17 on Thursday night for their first win since Dec. 24, 2016.

''I've just been waiting for my moment,'' Mayfield said. ''I'm just getting started.''

And so ends Cleveland's 19-game winless streak, the NFL's second-longest since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.

The Browns (1-1-1) trailed 14-0 in the first half before Mayfield came in for Taylor and led four scoring drives while winning an unexpected matchup against Jets rookie quarterback Sam Darnold. Cleveland passed on taking Darnold in the draft and instead chose Mayfield, the Heisman Trophy winner from Oklahoma.

Mayfield finished 17 of 23 for 201 yards in a little more than a half after coming in after Taylor suffered a concussion.

Darnold had one last chance, but was intercepted by Terrence Mitchell with 11 seconds left.

When the final seconds ticked off the clock, Cleveland fans, who had endured a 0-16 season and waited nearly two years to see their Browns win, erupted in celebration.

Refrigerators around the city stocked with Bud Lights were finally unlocked, and there figured to be more than a few beverages consumed in the hours ahead.

This was just one win, and while it was an ending, it also felt like a beginning - because of Mayfield.

''Dilly, dilly to the Cleveland fans,'' Mayfield said, using the beer's commercial slogan. ''It's not the only win we're going to celebrate.''

Isaiah Crowell had two touchdown runs for the Jets (1-2), who seemed in control when they took a 14-0 lead and knocked Taylor from the game.

Newly signed Browns kicker Greg Joseph made field goals of 45 and 27 yards after being signed just three days ago.

Browns coach Hue Jackson got just his second win in 35 games since being hired by owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam, and this win will ease some of the pressure he's been feeling to get Cleveland turned around. Jackson could also be faced with a difficult choice - either stick with Mayfield or go back to Taylor when he's healthy.

The decision might not be as tough now.

Jackson wouldn't commit to staying with Mayfield, but referred to the performance as ''his coming out party'' several times.

Mayfield made his NFL debut with 1:42 left in the second quarter, replacing an injured Taylor after Cleveland's starter was sacked for the third time. Taylor struggled getting to his feet after being dragged down by linebacker Avery Williamson, but he had absorbed several hard blows before that - and had been ineffective.

With Cleveland's crowd roaring, Mayfield completed a 14-yard pass to Jarvis Landry on his first pass as a pro and then found tight end David Njoku for 17 yards. Mayfield drove Cleveland into field-goal position and Joseph, who signed with the team on Monday following a tryout, drilled a low line drive to pull the Browns within 14-3.

Cleveland's plan was to have Mayfield watch and learn this season.

Taylor's injury may change everything.

For Darnold, a promising start ended with his second loss in three games. He completed 15 of 31 passes for 169 yards, but threw two picks late in the fourth as he tried to rally the Jets.

''I feel like I've got to play better and make better reads,'' Darnold said. ''I need to be more decisive. We've got to make them pay and put the ball in our playmakers' hands.''

Hyde's 1-yard TD run pulled the Browns within 14-12 and Cleveland tied it with a trick 2-point play .

Mayfield shifted to the left and the ball was snapped directly to running back Duke Johnson, who ran right and gave the ball to Landry on a reverse. Landry then lofted a pass into the end zone to Mayfield, whose conversion tied it and sent Cleveland fans into a frenzy.

Crowell scored his second TD with 7:54 left in the second quarter, and was flagged for excessive celebrating when he squatted and wiped the ball on his backside before flinging it into the crowd.

Crowell's untouched 7-yard run TD run came five plays after Jets linebacker Kevin Pierre-Louis got a hand on Britton Colquitt's attempted punt and New York took over at Cleveland's 28.

On the first play of the second quarter, Crowell took an inside handoff and raced into the end zone before firing the ball into the stands in celebration. Crowell spent four seasons with the Browns before signing a three-year, $12 million free agent contract with New York as a free agent in March.

9/21/2018 4:55 AM
the lousy Jets lost to the freakin' Browns. Does anything else really need to be said?
9/21/2018 5:56 PM

Bortles tosses 2 TD passes, Jags handle Darnold, Jets 31-12

• STATS AP
  • Sep 30, 2018

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) Blake Bortles felt as though Jacksonville's offense wasted a dominant defensive performance last week.

He refused to let it happen again.

Bortles threw two touchdown passes, including a 67-yarder to Donte Moncrief, and the Jaguars offense gave the defense plenty of help in a 31-12 victory over the New York Jets on Sunday. Bortles ended up with a career-high 388 yards passing, topping 375 yards for the second time in three games.

''(The defense) played incredible again today,'' Bortles said. ''There were some sloppy parts of the game that we've got to clean up, but to give them some points to go play with the lead was good.''

It was a much different story a week ago, when the Jaguars (3-1) managed just two field goals in a 9-6 loss to Tennessee.

Bortles was clearly off in that one. He was much sharper against the Jets (1-3), who have dropped three straight.

He found T.J. Yeldon wide open for a 31-yard score in the second quarter and then beat a blitz with the deep pass to Moncrief down the sideline.

The pass to Moncrief was Jacksonville's lone offensive highlight in an ugly second half. The Jaguars had three turnovers that led to nine points for the Jets.

''It's just growth. That's the easiest way to say it,'' Jaguars defensive tackle Malik Jackson said. ''We've got to be consistent like this all time. Offense dropped the ball last week, so to speak, but this week they picked it up and put 500 yards on the board.

''That's the best measure of a man and a football player - to put that turmoil behind you and move on and show your growth, and we did that.''

Jets rookie Sam Darnold was harassed early and often, getting sacked three times and nearly throwing three interceptions. Tashaun Gipson's pick was overturned by a holding penalty on the other side of the field, and Pro Bowl cornerbacks A.J. Bouye and Jalen Ramsey each dropped INTs that would have ended New York's first two scoring drives.

Regardless, the Jaguars allowed 178 yards, allowed 10 first downs and recorded its first safety since 2014. It was the team's best defensive output since holding Cincinnati to 148 yards last November.

The Jets scored their lone touchdown following Yeldon's fourth-quarter fumble, a 2-yard pass from Darnold to Jordan Leggett. It was hardly the "identity game" the Jets had wanted.

''I felt we took a step back today,'' Jets coach Todd Bowles said. ''Nobody played well. We gave up a bunch of yards. We usually fight to be in ballgames. We're usually in every ballgame. But we shot ourselves in the foot too much in the first half today. It's back to the drawing board in every phase - offense, defense, special teams. It's back to the drawing board.

''The other three games, we lost on silly things but we were in ballgames. Today, I don't think we were in the ballgame. We didn't give ourselves a chance.''

10/1/2018 4:12 AM

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) Isaiah Crowell ran all over the Denver Broncos' suddenly leaky defense - and kept his touchdown celebration low-key this time around.

The New York running back ran for a franchise-record 219 yards, including a 77-yard touchdown , and Sam Darnold threw two TD passes to Robby Anderson, including a 76-yarder, to help the big-play Jets snap a three-game losing streak with a 34-16 victory over the Denver Broncos on Sunday.

''It means a lot to me,'' Crowell said. ''I've got to give all the credit to my O-line. I can't really take the credit. Really, it was all them. I mean, the holes were open. Anybody could've run through them. It just happened to be me.

''They really set the record.''

Crowell needed just 15 carries to break the team record of 210 yards rushing set by Thomas Jones in 2009 against Buffalo. His 14.6 yards per carry set an NFL record for a player with at least 15 attempts, according to Elias Sports Bureau.

Bilal Powell added 99 yards rushing, and New York finished with 323 yards on the ground - second-most in team history - and 512 overall yards.

After an ugly 20-yard punt early in the second quarter by Colby Wadman, who replaced the injured Marquette King, the Jets (2-3) took advantage immediately. Crowell took the handoff, scooted to the left sideline and zipped into the end zone - getting some nice blocks from receivers Anderson, Pryor and Jermaine Kearse along the way - for a 77-yard yard touchdown that tied the game.

Crowell was fined $13,369 by the NFL and given a stern lecture from coach Todd Bowles for his crude TD celebration two weeks ago in Cleveland when he wiped his rear end with the football. This time, Crowell simply tossed the ball to the turf in the end zone.

''I didn't want to do anything that would cost my team a penalty,'' Crowell said.

The Jets were just getting started with big plays.

On their next possession, Darnold found Anderson streaking down the field uncovered and connected for a 76-yard touchdown that put New York ahead 14-7 with 10:46 left in the half. It was the longest TD catch of Anderson's career.

According to the Jets, it was the first time they have had multiple TDs on offense of 75 yards or more in the same game since Sept. 24, 1972, against the Baltimore Colts. Joe Namath tossed TD passes of 79 and 80 yards to Rich Caster in that one. It was the first time the Jets had a TD catch and a TD run of at least 75 yards.

''Every single week, we can do that,'' Darnold said. ''I'm just really excited for next week.''

Darnold also had a TD toss to Terrelle Pryor that sealed the game late in the fourth quarter for the Jets. The rookie quarterback finished 10 of 22 for 198 yards and the three scores with an interception to help New York to its first win since the season opener.

''It was really a team effort,'' Darnold said, ''and I couldn't be more proud.''

The Jets' defense came up big, too, while playing without coordinator Kacy Rodgers, who is dealing with what Bowles has called a ''serious'' illness. Bowles ran the defense against the Broncos and the Jets kept the pressure on Keenum all game, sacking him four times - including two by Leonard Williams.

''We had our brother down and that was our message that we wanted to play for him,'' safety Jamal Adams said of Rodgers. ''I know he's smiling right now.''

They nearly had one more big play when Marcus Maye intercepted Keenum's final pass and returned it 104 yards - the longest in team history - before being taken down by Courtland Sutton at the 1 to end the game.

It was also the longest non-touchdown on an INT return, according to Elias.

Keenum finished 35 of 51 for 377 yards with touchdown passes to Sutton and Demaryius Thomas for the Broncos (2-3).

''We usually are a pretty stout defense,'' Broncos linebacker Von Miller said. ''Today, we weren't. We got gashed over the top two or three times today. It was a rough one.''

SLOW START

The Jets turned the ball over on their second play from scrimmage when Adam Gotsis knocked the ball out of Powell's hands and recovered at New York's 20. Three plays later, Keenum found Sutton in the end zone from 8 yards out to give Denver a 7-0 lead.

It was Keenum's first TD pass since Week 1, when he had three in a win over Seattle, and the first touchdown reception of Sutton's career.

STORMING BACK

Keenum completed passes of 31 yards to Thomas and 24 to DaeSean Hamilton to put the Broncos at the Jets 7, but New York came up with a red-zone stop and held Denver to a 30-yard field goal by Brandon McManus to make it 14-10 with 3:58 left in the half.

On New York's next possession, Darnold reared back from the 35 and fired a perfectly placed pass into the left corner of the end zone, where it dropped into Anderson's hands just beyond a pursuing Bradley Roby for another touchdown.

''Anyone who saw the game knows it wasn't good enough,'' Broncos safety Justin Simmons said of Denver's defense. ''It's not what we do. We've got to be better.''

INJURIES

Jets: CB Buster Skrine left in the first quarter with a concussion and didn't return. Skrine started in place of Trumaine Johnson, who was sidelined with a strained quadriceps.

Broncos: CB Adam Jones was ruled out in the second half after injuring a leg.

ANTHEM

There were no individual protests by players on either team during the singing of the national anthem.

UP NEXT

Broncos: home vs. Los Angeles Rams next Sunday.

Jets: home vs. Indianapolis Colts next Sunday.

10/8/2018 3:39 AM

Myers kicks Jets-record 7 FGs in 42-34 win over Colts

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) The New York Jets pulled off the type of victory that even Broadway Joe could appreciate.

With Joe Namath and the 1968 Super Bowl-winning squad watching , Jason Myers kicked a franchise-record seven field goals, Sam Darnold threw two touchdown passes, and the Jets held on to beat the Indianapolis Colts 42-34 on Sunday to win consecutive games for the first time in more than a year.

''The game wasn't perfect, by no means,'' coach Todd Bowles said. ''With the growth of the team, we probably would've lost this one a year ago or a couple of weeks ago. So, to win ugly, for us, is a pretty good thing.''

Morris Claiborne returned the first of three interceptions thrown by Andrew Luck for a touchdown as the Jets (3-3) moved to .500 by taking advantage of mistakes by the short-handed Colts (1-5), who lost their fourth straight.

''It's one of those bittersweet victories,'' Claiborne said. ''You played well enough to win the game, but you feel like you could've played a lot better. You never want to give up that many points.''

Darnold was 24 of 30 for 280 yards, with TD throws to Terrelle Pryor and Chris Herndon and an interception to give New York its first back-to-back victories since taking three in a row in Weeks 3-5 last season.

''We're definitely back in the thick of things,'' Darnold said. ''But at the same time, we're not satisfied.''

Myers hit field goals from 30, 48, 32, 37, 45, 37 and 45 yards to break the Jets record previously held by Jim Turner (1968) - the kicker for the Super Bowl champions - and Bobby Howfield (1972).

''It's more important that we got the win,'' Myers said, ''but being able to help out and do what I can that way, that's what's most important to me.''

Myers' 24 total points are the second-highest single-game total by a player who did not score a touchdown in NFL history. Only the Titans' Rob Bironas, who holds the mark with eight field goals in a game, had more: 26 on Oct. 21, 2007.

Luck was 23 of 43 for 301 yards with touchdowns to Marcus Johnson, Eric Ebron, Erik Swoope and Chester Rogers, the last coming with 1:51 left to make the score close. Neal Sterling recovered the Colts' onside kick to seal the win for the Jets.

It all had Luck pondering whether it's tough finding the joy in football.

''At times, especially when I do things - stupid is the only word that comes to mind,'' he said. ''We do some silly things to ourselves, but when it comes to having fun playing, I'm having fun playing.''

The Colts were playing without several starters, including wide receiver T.Y. Hilton, defensive linemen Denico Autry and Margus Hunt, tight end Jack Doyle, safety Clayton Geathers and right tackle Denzelle Good.

Trailing 13-10 in the second quarter, the Jets forced a turnover when Jamal Adams knocked the ball out of Robert Turbin's hands and Jordan Jenkins recovered.

Darnold converted two third-down plays on the ensuing drive - 19 yards to Robby Anderson and 7 to Jermaine Kearse - to get the ball to the Colts 10. Darnold zipped a pass to Pryor in the front of the end zone for a 17-13 lead with 2:35 left before halftime.

New York took advantage of another turnover when Luck's pass to Ryan Grant deflected off the receiver's hands and right to Avery Williamson, who returned the ball 31 yards to the Colts 22.

After Myers' 48-yarder, the Colts went three-and-out and the Jets got the ball at their 28 with 42 seconds left before halftime. Darnold hit a series of passes and, with 18 seconds left, found Kearse in the middle of the field for 23 yards. Myers booted a 32-yarder as time expired to put New York up 23-13.

Darnold came out firing to open the second half, scoring on a terrific play design - a fake wide receiver screen - to a wide-open Herndon for a 32-yard touchdown . It was the first TD of the rookie tight end's career.

Luck answered right back, throwing an 18-yard touchdown pass to Ebron to cut the Colts' deficit to 10.

After Myers' 37-yarder, the Colts came right back, with Luck throwing a 2-yard pass to Swoope to cut the deficit to 33-27 just 8 seconds into the fourth quarter.

Myers added a 45-yarder, giving the Jets scores on six straight possessions.

Luck was trying to answer again when Darron Lee picked him off on third down to give the Jets the ball at the Colts 25. Four plays later, Myers' 37-yarder made it 39-27.

''It's a bit frustrating,'' Luck said. ''I feel a bit like a broken record. Talking about it is the easy part. It's doing it. It's living it.''

QUICK START

On the Colts' second play from scrimmage, Luck threw short to Marlon Mack, Adams tipped the pass into the air and Claiborne grabbed it, zipping 17 yards into the end zone 12 seconds into the game.

Luck and the Colts rebounded on their next drive with a 34-yard catch by Johnson to tie it at 7.

RODGERS' RETURN

Jets defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers, who has not been coaching the last two weeks while dealing with an unspecified illness, was on the field before the game and watched from a box in the stadium.

''He was a casual observer,'' said Bowles, who called the defense for the second straight game.

The Jets tweeted out a video of a happy Rodgers breaking down the team in the locker room after the win.

CROW SLOWS

Isaiah Crowell had 40 yards rushing on 13 attempts after setting a franchise record last week with 219 on 15 carries. He dealt with an ankle injury all week and was questionable to play.

INJURIES

Colts: Turbin left with an injured right shoulder after his fumble and didn't return. ... Grant injured an ankle in the second half and didn't return. ... Johnson injured his right ankle late in the game and was helped to the locker room.

Jets: WR Quincy Enunwa injured an ankle on his fumble in the second quarter and didn't return. ... S Marcus Maye left with a hand injury in the third quarter and was seen wearing a cast after the game. He'll have X-rays. ... Bowles said Pryor injured his groin late.

UP NEXT

Colts: home vs. Buffalo next Sunday.

Jets: home vs. Minnesota next Sunday.

10/15/2018 3:39 AM

Cousins, Murray lift Vikings past Darnold, Jets 37-17

• STATS AP
  • Oct 21, 2018

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) Mike Zimmer gathered his team around him in a victorious locker room and let them in on what they just accomplished.

The Minnesota Vikings, he told them, had never defeated the Jets on the road - until Sunday. Kirk Cousins and the rest of his teammates broke out in big cheers to celebrate a 37-17 win.

''Winning on the road is important in this league,'' Cousins said, ''and I was glad we were able to do that.''

Cousins threw two touchdown passes, Latavius Murray ran for two scores, and the Vikings (4-2-1) pulled away in the second half for their third straight victory.

It wasn't the best performance of the season by the Vikings' high-powered offense, but it was certainly good enough against a Jets team that had four turnovers - including interceptions by Harrison Smith, Holton Hill and Trae Waynes.

''Any time you score 37 points on the road, you're doing something right,'' Cousins said. ''But there are times where it wasn't good enough. We are so grateful for defense and special teams today because it gave us the opportunity to go out and score points.''

Vikings wide receiver Adam Thielen became the fifth player in NFL history to get at least 100 yards receiving in seven consecutive games, catching nine passes for 110 yards and a touchdown.

Murray, coming off career-high 155 yards rushing against Arizona, finished with 69 yards on 15 carries to help lift the Vikings to their first road win against the Jets after losing the first five meetings away from home.

In his first game against the Jets (3-4) since spurning their massive offer in free agency, Cousins was far from spectacular but made some big plays late. With the game still hanging in the balance and the Vikings facing fourth-and-8 from the 34, Cousins connected with Aldrick Robinson for a TD to seal it.

Cousins, 25 of 40 for 241 yards, opted to turn down New York's three-year, $90 million deal in the offseason and instead chose to go to Minnesota, which actually signed him to a deal worth $6 million less. The Jets insisted this loss didn't sting any more than usual because it was against Cousins.

''We don't care,'' Jets linebacker Darron Lee said. ''We only care about us and this team. Don't try to make this about him. We don't care. No one ever spoke about that all week. No one cared.''

After Cousins made his decision, the Jets turned their attention to the draft, where they selected Sam Darnold with the No. 3 overall pick.

In their first meeting, Cousins came out on top - while Darnold struggled on a cold, windy day.

The rookie was 17 of 42 for 206 yards with a TD pass to Chris Herndon and a TD run, but was intercepted three times as New York's two-game winning streak ended.

''I've just got to find completions,'' Darnold said. ''That's really it. And, we've got to do a better job executing.''

The Vikings took a 17-point lead early in the fourth quarter when Murray followed a 23-yard run with a 38-yard touchdown scamper, his second score of the game .

''It wasn't pretty early on,'' Murray said, ''but we know how important it is to run the ball and we stuck with it.''

New York wasn't done, though.

Darnold's 17-yard throw to Herndon was initially called a touchdown, but it was ruled after a video review that the tight end's heel went out of bounds at the 1. Darnold went in on a quarterback sneak on the next play for the first rushing score of his career, making it 27-17.

After the Vikings went three-and-out, Darnold went deep to Robby Anderson, whose legs got tangled with Xavier Rhodes and both needed to be checked by trainers. Anderson was OK, but Rhodes was helped off the field without putting weight on his left leg. Zimmer said Rhodes has a sprained ankle.

Hill came on in place of Rhodes and immediately picked off Darnold's pass intended for Andre Roberts. Seven plays later, Cousins put the game away with his TD toss to Robinson.

''We had so many opportunities to put that game away earlier,'' Zimmer said. ''There were two or three turnovers we didn't take advantage of. ... We've got to overcome ourselves on some of those things.''

THIELEN FEELIN' IT

Thielen reached his milestone with a 21-yard catch in the fourth quarter. He joined Detroit's Calvin Johnson (eight, 2012), Denver's Demaryius Thomas (seven, 2014), Dallas' Michael Irvin (seven, 1995) and Houston's Charley Hennigan (seven, 1961) to accomplish the feat.

He and Hennigan are the only players to do so in his team's first seven games to open the season.

''It says it all,'' Cousins said. ''He's a great player. Ultimately, he's a great person and it starts there the way he approaches everything he does. I'm lucky to play with him. The Vikings are lucky to have him.''

THIRD-DOWN STRUGGLES

Minnesota finished 2 of 15 on third downs, while New York was 2 of 13.

The Vikings first conversion didn't come until midway through the third quarter on Thielen's 13-yard catch after being 0 for 8 up to that point.

The Jets' first third-down conversion came late in the third on Darnold's 6-yard run on third-and-5.

INJURIES

Vikings: LG Tom Compton left in the first quarter with a knee injury and didn't return. ... LB Anthony Barr left in the fourth with a hamstring injury.

Jets: RB Bilal Powell injured his neck during a 2-yard run in the second quarter. S Doug Middleton, starting in place of the injured Marcus Maye, also left in the second with a shoulder injury. Neither player returned, and coach Todd Bowles said both would have tests to determine the severity of their injuries.

UP NEXT

Vikings: home vs. New Orleans next Sunday.

Jets: at Chicago next Sunday.

10/22/2018 3:18 AM

Jets sign veteran Rishard Matthews to aid banged-up WR corps

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Battling injuries at wide receiver, the New York Jetssigned veteran free agent Rishard Matthews, the team announced Tuesday.

Matthews, 29, was out of work for four games after being released by the Tennessee Titans -- a move he requested. He was unhappy with his role in the offense and complained to management after catching only three passes for 11 yards in the first three games.

The Jets (3-4) needed a body because leading receiver Quincy Enunwa (high ankle sprain), who didn't play last week, is expected to miss a few more games. Terrelle Pryor suffered a groin injury and was released, although there's a chance he could return when healthy. That, of course, could depend on how Matthews fares.

To make room for Matthews, the Jets placed safety Doug Middleton (torn pectoral muscle) on injured reserve. It means they have only two healthy safeties on the roster, Jamal Adams and Terrence Brooks.

The Jets explored the possibility of trading for Amari Cooper, who wound up being dealt to the Dallas Cowboys for a first-round pick. Matthews worked out for the Jets last week.

10/23/2018 5:59 PM

Jets' Bilal Powell placed on injured reserve with potential career-ending injury

Powell will undergo neck surgery at some point soon, and it's possible he never plays again

10/25/2018 5:36 AM

Trubisky throws 2 TDs as Bears beat Jets 24-10

CHICAGO (AP) The Chicago Bears got the win they sorely needed, only to lose another key player.

Guard Kyle Long had to be helped off the field in the closing minutes with an injured right foot, putting a damper on a 24-10 victory over the New York Jets on Sunday.

Mitchell Trubisky threw for two touchdowns, and the Bears (4-3) came out on top after dropping two in a row to fall out of the NFC North lead. But they might have to get by without their three-time Pro Bowl lineman after Long was injured in the closing minutes. That was another hit for a team that was already missing star pass rusher star pass rusher Khalil Mack (right ankle) and No. 1 receiver Allen Robinson (groin).

Long was hurt when tight end Dion Sims rolled into him as the two were blocking for Jordan Howard on a run, adding to a long list of injuries for the star lineman.

He had surgery on his right ankle following the 2016 season and operations on his shoulder, elbow and neck after he was shut down late last year. Coach Matt Nagy said the team will know more about Long's latest injury in the next few days.

''Can't say enough about Kyle, how much he loves this organization,'' Trubisky said. ''To see a guy go down like that, it hurts. We'll just try to pick him up and rally behind him any way we can. He knows we love him and we're just gonna hope for the best.''

Though the Bears were missing their best defensive player, Sam Darnold struggled and the Jets (3-5) managed just 207 yards in losing their second straight game.

Trubisky was shaky but did enough to help the Bears come out on top. He connected with Tarik Cohen for a 70-yard touchdown on a screen in the first quarter and threw a 4-yard scoring pass to Anthony Miller in the third, making it 14-3. But the second-year pro was wild again after struggling with his control against New England the previous week.

Trubisky was 16 of 29 for 220 yards. He also ran for 51 on six attempts.

''Overall, we just found a way and ground it out,'' he said. ''It was a lot better in the second half than the first half. We stuck together, stuck to the plan and executed our plays.''

Cohen's lone reception was the big touchdown. He also ran for 40 yards on five carries.

Howard ran for 81 yards and a touchdown. He scored from the 2 to make it 24-10 midway through the fourth quarter, sealing the win after tight losses to Miami and the Patriots.

Coming off his worst game as a pro with three interceptions, Darnold was 14 of 29 for a career-low 153 yards in his eighth NFL start. On the plus side, he did not throw an interception in this one.

''I mean, we just couldn't really get anything going,'' running back Isaiah Crowell said. ''I've got to watch the film, but I mean it was frustrating at the same time.''

LONG TD

Chicago grabbed a 7-0 lead in the first quarter when Cohen turned a screen from Trubisky against an all-out blitz into a 70-yard touchdown. It was the longest play from scrimmage by the Bears this season.

''It was just a great call by the offensive staff,'' Cohen said. ''We ran the screen into a blitz and usually that's a good thing. When I turned upfield, I just didn't see anybody. I was kind of nervous not to see anybody and I just saw green grass so I took it.''

Jets inside linebacker Avery Williamson said he blew the coverage on that play.

''I had to hug him up and I didn't,'' he said. ''Mental error, so that was on me. Just got to know what I got to do in that situation. It was a miscue.''

ANTHEM

There were no protests by either team during the national anthem.

INJURIES

Jets: TE Neal Sterling left with a concussion in the second quarter when he got hit by Chicago's Kyle Fuller after making a catch. Coach Todd Bowles confirmed Sterling has a concussion. .. DL Steve McLendon suffered an ankle injury.

10/29/2018 2:27 AM

4 interceptions help Dolphins beat Darnold and Jets, 13-6

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. (AP) Jerome Baker danced, waved, waggled his index finger and clicked his heels. For a first-year linebacker, it was a surprisingly polished touchdown celebration.

Baker bested fellow rookie Sam Darnold, scoring the game's only TD on a 25-yard interception return with 11 minutes left, and a resilient defense helped the Miami Dolphins beat the hapless New York Jets 13-6 on Sunday.

Darnold threw four interceptions and took four sacks, and the Jets went 2 for 15 on third and fourth down.

The hobbled Dolphins (5-4) endured another wave of injuries and the mysterious departure of safety Reshad Jones, who pulled himself out of the game. But their defense was much improved after three consecutive poor games .

''We never panicked; we knew what our defense was capable of,'' Baker said. ''When we are executing and do our job and play together, we're one of the best defenses out there.''

The quality of the opposition helped the defense dominate, however, allowing Miami to win with only seven first downs.

Darnold tried to rally the sputtering Jets (3-6) from a 6-3 deficit, but following a punt the rookie took a high snap and made an ill-advised throw to tight end Eric Tomlinson. Baker stepped in front for his first career interception and scored untouched.

''I didn't throw it with confidence,'' Darnold said. ''I just alligator-armed it - threw it a little bit short.''

Much of the game was a slog, but Baker provided a video highlight celebrating with his teammates.

''There is nothing like it,'' he said, game ball cradled under his arm. ''It is the sweetest feeling ever, especially getting in the end zone, seeing your brothers running toward you.''

T.J. McDonald and Walt Aikens made interceptions to end the Jets' final two possessions.

''The guys did a good job of complementary football,'' Dolphins coach Adam Gase said. ''They played together. They did a good job of stopping the run and making it as one-dimensional as possible.''

Miami broke a two-game losing streak and won for only the second time in the past six games. Gase improved to 5-1 against the Jets, including two wins this year.

The Jets lost their third in a row and have scored 33 points during the skid. They've dropped nine of their past 10 road games dating to 2017.

Darnold went 21 for 39 for 229 yards and a passer rating of 31.8. He came into the game tied for the NFL lead with 10 interceptions , and the four picks were a new high.

''Two for sure he'd like to have back,'' coach Todd Bowles said. ''Back to the drawing board.''

Cameron Wake and Akeem Spence had two sacks apiece for the Dolphins, who had allowed 102 points the previous three weeks.

''Everybody playing together, front to back side to side, and getting a win, that's about as rewarding as it is,'' Wake said.

TO THE BENCH

Jones, whose tendency to freelance has been an issue, watched the second half from the sideline. Gase said he didn't know whether Jones was hurt.

''It sounds like he pulled himself out,'' Gase said. ''I've just got to find out what happened there.''

Jones didn't talk to the media after the game.

DOLPHINS SUB

Miami totaled only 168 yards, but Brock Osweiler improved to 2-2 as a starter filling in for the injured Ryan Tannehill . Osweiler went 15 for 24 for 139 yards and took four sacks, but his unit committed no turnovers.

''It was just a good old-fashioned fight on the field, and it was fun,'' Osweiler said. ''We won.''

INJURY REPORT

Dolphins: LT Laremy Tunsil (knee) left in the fourth quarter. ... RT Ja'Wuan James (knee) departed in the first half, but later returned. ... CB Bobby McCain was evaluated for a concussion. ... DE Robert Quinn limped off in the field in the closing minutes.

Jets: C Spencer Long aggravated an injury to the middle finger of his right hand and had half a dozen off-target snaps before leaving the game. ... Backup LB Tarell Basham (knee) left the game in the second half.

FULL WEEKEND

The field looked worn but was not an issue less than 24 hours after the Miami Hurricanes and Duke played on it in a downpour.

NATIONAL ANTHEM

Dolphins receiver Kenny Stills kneeled during the anthem and Quinn stood with his right fist raised, as they have done before other games.

UP NEXT

Dolphins: play at Green Bay for the first time since 2010 on Nov. 11.

Jets: play host to Buffalo on Nov. 11. The teams also meet on Dec. 9.

11/5/2018 2:14 AM
◂ Prev 1...46|47|48|49|50...61 Next ▸
NEW YORK JETS DRAFT+ GREAT FAN PAGE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.