NEW YORK JETS DRAFT+ GREAT FAN PAGE Topic

Barkley, Bills light up listless Jets in 41-10 laugher

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) Matt Barkley had just put the finishing touches on a stunning victory when he jogged over to the sideline, found his mother in the stands and handed her his well-deserved game ball.

It was quite a moment for the Buffalo Bills quarterback, who looked nothing like a guy who had no job and an uncertain future just a few weeks ago.

Barkley sparked Buffalo's bumbling offense with two touchdown passes, including one to offensive tackle Dion Dawkins , LeSean McCoy broke out of a season-long slump with 113 yards rushing and a pair of TD runs, and the Bills embarrassed the New York Jets 41-10 on Sunday.

''For me, I knew I could play in this league,'' Barkley said. ''To get back out there after two years, it was, and I don't want to be cliche by saying it was like riding a bike, but I've done this for years. I feel like I was made to play football and (today) was an example of going out there and doing what I was made to do.''

Barkley made his first start in nearly two years, and looked the best of any of the four quarterbacks the Bills (3-7) have trotted out this season. The 28-year-old journeyman was 15 of 25 for 232 yards while helping Buffalo snap a four-game losing streak as the Bills put up 451 yards of total offense.

Barkley got the nod from coach Sean McDermott ahead of the ineffective Nathan Peterman despite having just two weeks of practice with the Bills since signing on Oct. 30. Rookie Josh Allen has missed four straight games with a sprained right elbow, and Derek Anderson is sidelined with a concussion. Barkley's last start came in the 2016 season finale for Chicago.

Now the question is: Should Barkley be the Bills' starter moving forward?

''I don't know,'' Barkley said. ''That's a question I don't have the answer to, nor the authority to answer. I'll be ready to play. This QB situation seems to be fluctuating. In whatever way I can help this team, that's my goal.''

Added McDermott: ''Give me some time on that.''

Meanwhile, the hot seat under coach Todd Bowles reached a boiling point as the Jets (3-7) got completely manhandled by a team that entered with a league-low 96 points and had two touchdowns in its previous four games.

''Everything that could've gone wrong went wrong,'' Bowles said. ''We stunk it up as coaches, we stunk it up as players.''

The Jets have a bye-week break and the future of Bowles, in his fourth season, is in serious doubt. Owner Christopher Johnson declined comment to reporters after the game.

''We're going to try like hell to win our last six games,'' Bowles said.

New York started 39-year-old Josh McCown in place of injured rookie Sam Darnold, but he couldn't prevent the Jets from their fourth straight loss in front of a frustrated fan base that booed lustily throughout.

McCown was 17 of 34 for 135 yards with two interceptions, and the Jets finished with just 199 total yards.

''That's the first time I felt like somebody really smacked us,'' cornerback Morris Claiborne said, ''and we didn't do nothing about it.''

Barkley certainly didn't look rusty, launching a 47-yard pass to Robert Foster on the Bills' first offensive play. Foster, just promoted from the practice squad, beat top Jets cornerback Trumaine Johnson, who had missed the previous five games with an injured quadriceps.

On the next play, Barkley handed off to McCoy, who scored his first touchdown of the season with a 28-yard run that gave Buffalo a 7-0 lead 49 seconds in.

Barkley and the Bills took a 14-0 lead midway through the opening quarter on a fluky play. On third-and-7 from the 11, Zay Jones caught a pass and took it 10 yards before fumbling as he reached the goal line. Tight end Jason Croom recovered in the end zone for a touchdown that was upheld by video review.

The 14-play, 73-play drive was prolonged by a fake punt on fourth-and-6 from the Bills 47 when the ball was snapped directly to tight end Logan Thomas, a quarterback at Virginia Tech. Thomas then completed a 19-yard pass to Foster for the first down.

The Bills outgained the Jets 186-1 after one quarter, and added to their lead less than two minutes into the second quarter on Stephen Hauschka's 54-yard field goal that made it 17-0.

If there was any doubt as to where this game was headed, the Bills added in some trickery - and embarrassment for the Jets - on their next drive.

Dawkins lined up as an eligible receiver on first-and-goal from the 7. Barkley, of course, found the 6-foot-5, 320-pound lineman wide open for a touchdown.

The Jets had another brutal sequence on their next possession, when they had three - yes, three - holding penalties called on one play. Then McCown, facing a blitz, threw the ball up down the left sideline and Matt Milano picked it off.

Seven plays later, McCoy ran it in from the 1 - moments after it was ruled he was down there and had a TD reversed - to put Buffalo up 31-0.

THE REAL McCOY

McCoy surpassed 500 career points, and vaulted into 26th place on the career yards rushing list. He also topped 100 yards rushing for the first time since gaining 156 in a 13-7 overtime win over Indianapolis on Dec. 10.

''It's like that big monkey's off my back a little bit,'' McCoy said.

McCoy has 10 career games with at least 100 yards on the ground and two rushing TDs, joining Adrian Peterson as the only active players to do so.

INJURIES

Bills CB Taron Johnson left in the third quarter with a shoulder injury and didn't return. ... Milano left to be evaluated for a head injury in the fourth quarter. ... The Jets reported no injuries.

UP NEXT

Bills: Bye. Home vs. Jacksonville on Nov. 25.

Jets: Bye. Home vs. New England on Nov. 25.

11/12/2018 2:03 AM

A man arrested for a drunk driving crash in New Jersey last weekend gave officers a bonkers excuse for his drunkenness and the accident that followed: the continuing suckage of the New York Jets.

Christopher Greyshock, a 57-year-old man from West Milford, New Jersey, was arrested after rear-ending a car and injuring two people on Sunday, a short time after the Jets had been soundly thwacked by the Buffalo Bills 41-10. The North Jersey Record reported that police were called to the scene of an accident that had taken place at 5:15 p.m., and two people were being treated by paramedics when they arrived.

As officers approached Greyshock, Capt. Larry Martin told the Pascack Valley Daily Voice that Greyshock was “staggering and swaying,” nearly falling into traffic and unable to stand up straight. Greyshock also had liquid stains on his pants and officers could smell liquor on his breath, so they administered a field sobriety test. Unsurprisingly, Greyshock failed. After he failed the test, he gave the officers his reason for being so drunk.

“I drank too much because the Jets suck!”

The Jets being terrible may be a reason to drink, but it’s not a reason to drink and drive. (In fact, there are zero reasons to drink and drive.) And the officers definitely weren’t impressed, because they arrested him. They searched his car and found a bottle of bourbon by the front seat that was three-quarters full, as well as a small amount of marijuana and two packages of rolling papers.

Greyshock was charged with assault by auto, driving while intoxicated, reckless driving, having an open container of alcohol in a motor vehicle, possession of marijuana, and possession of drug paraphernalia. Greyshock learned the hard way that if you’re going to watch a bad football team, have someone hide the alcohol. Or at least have someone hide the car keys.

11/14/2018 3:41 AM

Pats top Jets 27-13

11/26/2018 3:58 AM

Titans shake off ugly start, rally to edge Jets 26-22

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) Marcus Mariota and the Tennessee Titans could not have started much uglier.

They sure showed they can finish.

Mariota threw an 11-yard touchdown pass to Corey Davis with 36 seconds left, and the Tennessee Titans rallied from a 16-point deficit and beat the New York Jets 26-22 on Sunday.

The Titans (6-6) snapped a two-game skid to keep themselves on the fringes of the AFC playoff chase. Mariota, who had an interception returned for a touchdown in the first quarter, notched the 12th game-winning drive of his career and eighth since the start of the 2017 season.

''Marcus isn't going to be the guy giving pep talks,'' Titans coach Mike Vrabel said of his quarterback. ''He's very calm, cool, collected. He takes control of the huddle, and you can see him in the most critical situations he's at his best. And so that's great to see.''

The Jets (3-9) had one last chance to snap their own losing streak, but Malcolm Butler intercepted Josh McCown's pass with 21 seconds left to seal Tennessee's victory and the Jets' collapse. New York now has lost six straight with this latest loss leaving Jets coach Todd Bowles ''fuming.''

''Dumb mistakes at dumb times cost us ballgames, and that's why we're in the position we're in,'' Bowles said.

Mariota looked nothing like the quarterback who turned in the second-best single-game performance in NFL history last week completing 95.7 percent of his passes in a loss at Houston. Home fans booed early and often as Jets cornerback Trumaine Johnson got only his second interception this season and ran it back 31 yards for an early TD and a 10-0 lead.

It was the Jets' first takeaway after the franchise tied a league record for futility for not forcing a turnover in five straight games. The Jets also sacked Mariota three times.

Mariota threw for 220 of his 282 yards in the second half. He also led the Titans with 43 yards rushing, including a 25-yard scramble on the game-winning drive where he recovered his own fumble at the end.

''Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, and I got lucky,'' Mariota said.

A facemask penalty on Johnson during the play added to the end, and Mariota hit Anthony Firkser for 25 yards. Three plays later, he found Davis who ran in for the TD and the Titans' first lead of the game.

McCown started his third straight with Sam Darnold still limited with an injured foot, and the 39-year-old veteran threw for only 128 yards as the Titans outgained the Jets 403-280 in total offense.

New York led 22-13 on Jason Myers' fifth and final field goal, a 39-yarder with 26 seconds left in the third quarter.

''You can't do that,'' McCown said. ''You've got to get seven points when you're down there, and we didn't do that. And yeah, if you do that too much in the NFL, it will come back to get you, and it certainly did us today.''

The Titans had their chances to avoid the dramatic ending with first-and-goal on back-to-back drives in the fourth quarter only to settle for a pair of field goals by Ryan Succop. The Titans forced the Jets to punt with 1:46 left and found themselves starting at their own 14 to set up the game-winning drive.

SPECIAL INDEED

The Jets got production from across the board on special teams. Kevin Pierre-Louis blocked a punt in the second quarter to set up Myers' third field goal, and Henry Anderson blocked Succop's extra-point attempt inside the final minute of the first half. Andre Roberts opened the third quarter with a 61-yard kickoff return.

FLAG FEST

The Jets were flagged 11 times for 96 yards, including three times on the Titans' final drive with one offsetting. The Titans, who came in as the NFL's least penalized team, had eight for 75 yards.

INJURIES

Jets O-lineman Spencer Long had an illness, so Dakota Dozier started at LG in his place. ... Jets cornerback Morris Claiborne hurt a shoulder, but returned.

UP NEXT

Jets: Visit Buffalo next Sunday.

12/3/2018 3:46 AM

Darnold leads Jets to 27-23 win over Allen, Bills

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) Sam Darnold had difficulty containing his excitement after the New York Jets rookie enjoyed his first fourth-quarter comeback victory in the NFL.

On the other side of the tunnel, Buffalo rookie Josh Allen had difficulty keeping his frustrations in check after his three turnovers contributed to costing the Bills.

Darnold, drafted third overall, one-upped Allen in their first meeting as AFC East rivals by rallying the Jets to a 27-23 win Sunday.

''As a kid, you dream of converting two-minute drives and going down there and scoring,'' Darnold said. ''To be able to score a touchdown and put the ball in their hands at the end of the game was awesome.''

Allen, drafted seventh overall, was left dejected in a game he outran, out-passed and ultimately out-turnovered Darnold.

''I've got to be smarter with the football,'' said Allen, who threw two interceptions and lost a fumble. His fumble and first interception led to the Jets kicking two field goals.

His second interception sealed the loss with 59 seconds left, when he was picked off by Trumaine Johnson at Buffalo's 45.

Running back Elijah McGuire scored on a fourth-and-goal run from the 1 with 1:17 remaining to cap a drive during which Darnold completed three of five passes for 52 yards. The rookie quarterback particularly showed off his deft touch on a 37-yard pass to Robby Anderson, who made an over-the-shoulder catch up the right sideline.

Darnold finished 16 of 24 for 170 yards with a 7-yard touchdown to Anderson and an interception in his first start since missing three with a strained right foot. Aside from shaking off the rust, Darnold also overcame a scare in the first quarter when he left for one series after hurting the same foot.

Darnold was cleared to return after having the injury examined.

The Jets (4-9) snapped a six-game losing streak, and bounced back a week after squandering a 16-0 lead in a 26-22 loss at Tennessee.

The Jets won when embattled coach Todd Bowles elected to gamble after Darnold was stopped at the 1 on third-and-goal from the 4.

McGuire scored by taking a handoff and running to his right before finding a crease to squeeze his way into the end zone. He finished with 60 yards and was playing in place of starter Isaiah Crowell, who left with a shoulder injury in the second quarter.

''No decision whatsoever. We came up here to win the game,'' Bowles said on deciding to go for the touchdown. ''I'm just happy for them. ... To see them smile makes me smile.''

Buffalo dropped to 4-9.

Allen went 18 of 36 for 206 yards and scored on a 6-yard run. He also had 101 yards rushing to become just the second quarterback in NFL history to top 90 yards in three consecutive games, joining Tobin Rote, who did that with Green Bay in 1951.

Allen didn't care much for the feat, and wasn't in the mood to discuss the matchup with Darnold. The two became friends while spending the pre-draft process working out with each other.

''I mean, it was cool,'' Allen said. ''But, I'm playing against their defense, and we just didn't make as many plays as we needed to.''

Buffalo squandered a 14-3 lead, and was undone by a special teams unit that allowed Andre Roberts to return five kickoffs for 176 yards. Roberts' 86-yard return set up Trenton Cannon's 4-yard run, which cut Buffalo's lead to 17-13 with 6:31 left in the second quarter.

It was the first touchdown scored by the Jets' offense in 24 possessions, dating to the first quarter of a 27-13 loss to New England two weeks ago.

The Jets' special teams also blocked Stephen Hauschka's 49-yard field-goal attempt at the end of the first half.

New York trailed until Darnold capped an 11-play, 85-yard drive by hitting Anderson for a 7-yard touchdown pass to tie the game at 20 with 12:06 left.

The Bills responded with Hauschka hitting a 36-yard field goal with 2:31 remaining.

Allen scored on a 7-yard run and Isaiah McKenzie also scored on a 15-yard run.

BANGED UP BILLS

Buffalo was down to third-string running back Marcus Murphy after LeSean McCoy was sidelined by a hamstring injury in the first quarter and Chris Ivory hurt his ankle in the third quarter. Starting linebacker Matt Milano was carted off the field after getting his leg tangled while stopping Darnold at the goal line. Coach Sean McDermott provided no updates on his injured players.

CATCHING ON

Bills undrafted rookie Robert Foster had 104 yards receiving in his first career start after the Bills released Kelvin Benjamin on Tuesday. Foster now has two 100-yard outings, both of them coming against the Jets. He had 105 yards receiving in a 41-10 win at the Meadowlands on Nov. 11.

LEE SUSPENDED

Jets linebacker Darron Lee served the first game of a four-game NFL suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy. ''A great disappointment,'' Bowles said. ''He made a big mistake and only time will tell whether he will learn from it or not.''

UP NEXT

Jets: Host Houston on Saturday.

12/10/2018 2:20 AM

Watson leads Texans to 29-22 comeback win over Darnold, Jets

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) The Houston Texans were trailing late and facing a second straight loss after a nine-game winning streak.

Deshaun Watson wasn't having it.

The cool-headed, playmaking quarterback threw a 14-yard touchdown pass to DeAndre Hopkins with 2:15 left, lifting the Texans to a 29-22 victory over Sam Darnold and the New York Jets on Saturday night.

''It doesn't surprise me that he's able to stay controlled in those situations,'' Hopkins said about Watson. ''He's done that before in big games in his career. On the sideline, everyone was composed. Nobody panicked.''

And no one was more in control than Watson.

''The game is never over for me,'' he said. ''The plays are never over sometimes. I just go out there with the ball in my hands, put the load on my shoulders and lead the team to victory. I've been doing that my whole life and I have to continue to do that at this level.

''Every game comes down to a final drive. You've got to be able to block out all the noise, lock in and try to lead the team to victory.''

After Darnold and the Jets took their first lead of the game on Elijah McGuire's 2-yard touchdown run, the Texans (10-4) answered right back.

A holding call on cornerback Morris Claiborne on third down prolonged the drive, and Watson completed passes of 20 and 3 yards to Demaryius Thomas and 7 yards to Hopkins to get to New York's 14. Watson then found Hopkins streaking down the left sideline and launched a pass that the receiver somehow came down with despite being tightly covered by Claiborne.

''I wouldn't want any other quarterback in this entire universe other than him,'' Hopkins said. ''The things he can do, staying in the pocket after taking hits and deliver balls on the money - not a lot of quarterbacks can do that.''

Hopkins rolled an ankle on the play, and Watson and Alfred Blue helped him to the sideline as the Texans celebrated. The receiver was OK, though, and finished with 10 catches for 170 yards and two TDs.

Watson finished 22 of 28 for 294 yards and the two scores to Hopkins.

Ka'imi Fairbairn's 40-yard field goal - his fifth kick of the game - made it 29-22 with 54 seconds left. Darnold and the Jets (4-10) had one more opportunity to try to tie -or win- but Houston held on.

''To go out there against a good Texans team, it would've been awesome to be able to get that win,'' Darnold said, ''but we just came up short.''

The loss ruined what was a terrific night for Darnold, who made plays with his arm and legs all game. The No. 3 overall pick was 24 of 38 for 253 yards and touchdown passes to Robby Anderson and Andre Roberts. He set up an impressive 15-play, 73-yard go-ahead drive late during which he converted three third-down plays and a fourth-down opportunity.

On third-and-10 from the 19, Darnold took off for 14 yards - and a holding call on Aaron Colvin put the ball on the 2. After Darnold was stopped for no gain on a quarterback draw, he handed the ball to McGuire who pushed up the middle - surrounded by a surging mass of blockers who helped shove him all the way into the end zone for the score.

It set off a wild celebration by the Jets. But Watson and the Texans still had their own comeback in store.

''Thank God he's our quarterback,'' coach Bill O'Brien said.

UP-AND-DOWN

With New York trailing 16-3, Darnold gave the Jets some life just before halftime with a terrific drive during which he made plays with his legs - a 10-yard run on third-and-3 - and arm - passes of 16 yards to Chris Herndon and 26 to Anderson. On first-and-goal from the 5, Darnold scrambled a bit before stepping up in the pocket and zipping a pass to Anderson for a touchdown to make it a 16-9 game.

But, Jason Myers then missed his second extra point of the season - and 14th of his career.

Darnold picked up where he left off in the first half, leading the Jets on another touchdown drive, capping another impressive possession with a 13-yard toss to Andre Roberts. Darnold kept the drive alive on third-and-10 from the Jets 40 with a laser-like throw to Anderson for 20 yards.

Myers followed by missing his second straight extra point as Houston remained ahead 16-15.

''The first one, I just pushed a little bit,'' Myers said. ''The second one, I thought I hit it good, but just kind of fell left on me.''

INJURIES

Texans: RB Lamar Miller left with an ankle injury in the second quarter and didn't return, but O'Brien didn't think ''it's major.'' Miller was initially hurt early in the first quarter when he went down after a 1-yard run. He returned on Houston's next possession, but left again early in the second quarter. He had 8 yards on three carries. ... NT Brandon Dunn left with an ankle injury and didn't return.

Jets: RT Brandon Shell was carted off the field early in the third quarter with a knee injury. He was blocking during a passing play when left guard Spencer Long rolled into his left leg. Coach Todd Bowles said Shell would have an MRI on Sunday. ... WR Rishard Matthews left with a hamstring injury.

GETTING TO THE QB

Henry Anderson had three of the Jets' six sacks of Watson. It marked the first time New York had six or more since it had seven against Buffalo on Nov. 2, 2017.

UP NEXT

Texans: at Philadelphia on Dec. 23.

Jets: home vs. Green Bay on Dec. 23.

12/16/2018 2:03 AM

Rodgers leads Packers to wild 44-38 overtime win over Jets

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) Aaron Rodgers refused to sit this one out, even with the playoffs out of the question. And he willed the Green Bay Packers from setting some dubious franchise history.

A banged-up Rodgers threw a 16-yard touchdown pass to Davante Adams with 6:23 left in overtime, capping an eye-popping performance by leading the Packers to a wild 44-38 victory over the New York Jets on Sunday.

The win was the Packers' first on the road this season - snapping a nine-game skid away from Lambeau Field dating to last season - and it prevented them from becoming the first Green Bay squad since 1958 to go an entire season without a win away from home.

''It's good for the young guys to see what the locker room on the road feels like with a win, what the plane flight feels like,'' Rodgers said. ''How special that plane ride is after a road victory.''

And this one was all on Rodgers, who was masterful in the fourth quarter and the overtime period for the Packers (6-8-1).

He threw for 442 yards and touchdowns to Adams and Jake Kumerow, and also ran for two scores - his first since the 2016 season. That's despite a groin issue that nagged him last week, and a knee ailment that has bothered him all season. Rodgers was intent on playing, and believed it proved something.

''That it matters, even when the record isn't great and you're not going to the playoffs,'' he said. ''That I have a lot of pride. I love competing in anything. I don't want to look back in 20 years and wonder, `What if I had played that game? Could something special have happened? What would it look like to my teammates if they knew I kind of quit on them?' I hope my teammates know I'm never going to quit on them.

''I'm going to battle through anything I've got, and they did the same.''

They certainly did, erasing a 15-point fourth-quarter deficit and improving to 2-1 under interim coach Joe Philbin, who replaced the fired Mike McCarthy earlier this month.

''I think it speaks a lot about the character of the guys,'' Philbin said. ''They never stopped believing that they could get the job done.''

The loss for the Jets (4-11) overshadowed a dazzling performance by rookie quarterback Sam Darnold, who threw for a career-high 341 yards - but never got a chance with the ball in overtime. Darnold was 24 of 35 passing with TDs to Robby Anderson, Chris Herndon and Elijah McGuire, who also ran for a score.

''As an offense, we've just got to finish,'' Darnold said. ''We had a chance to put the game away.''

It was also likely the final home game for coach Todd Bowles, who's expected to be fired after next week's game at New England.

The Jets were done in by penalties, getting called for a whopping 16 that cost them 172 yards. Bowles was critical of the officiating crew, saying some of the calls against New York shouldn't have happened.

''I haven't seen one like that in my 18, 19 years in the league,'' Bowles said. ''I thought we were playing two teams: I thought we were playing the Packers and the striped shirts.''

After the Packers won the OT toss and elected to receive, Rodgers took over - as he has so many times throughout his career.

On third-and-10 from the Packers 40, Rodgers got hit as he was throwing and his pass to Marquez Valdes-Scantling hung in the air and fell incomplete - but Trumaine Johnson was called for pass interference, putting the ball at the Jets 27. Moments later, a pass interference call on Buster Skrine gave the Packers the ball at the 6.

Rodgers ran it in - but right tackle Bryan Bulaga was called for holding. On the next play, Rodgers found Adams in the back of the end zone for the rare road victory.

''It would have been pretty pathetic if would have gone the entire season without one,'' Adams said.

That all came after Rodgers went over a pile and reached past the goal line for a go-ahead 1-yard touchdown with 1:13 left in regulation, giving Green Bay its first lead. Rodgers' initial 2-point conversion try was intercepted by Darryl Roberts - but Roberts was called for defensive holding. Rodgers then ran it in to make it 38-35, finishing off a terrific drive that included a 23-yard run to get the ball to the 1.

Andre Roberts, selected to his first Pro Bowl earlier in the week, returned the ensuing kickoff 51 yards to put the Jets in good shape. Darnold completed passes of 9 and 14 yards to get the Jets to the Green Bay 15. But three straight passes fell incomplete and New York settled for a tying 33-yard field goal by Jason Myers with 17 seconds left in regulation.

SPECIAL SPECIAL TEAMS

Roberts returned a kickoff 99 yards for a score late in the first half, the second of his career, to highlight a solid outing by New York's special teams unit.

Rontez Miles took a direct snap on a punt on fourth-and-1 from the Jets 31 in the fourth quarter and ran up the middle for 4 yards and a first down. Anthony Wint also forced a fumble on a kickoff earlier in the game.

The one hiccup came on the game's opening drive, when Jason Myers - picked for his first Pro Bowl - was wide left on a 45-yard attempt.

LEO LOSES COOL

Jets defensive end Leonard Williams was ejected after throwing a punch at Bulaga in the second quarter. The penalty gave the Packers the ball at the Jets 7.

Jamaal Williams took the ensuing handoff, stayed in bounds after a hit by Jamal Adams and stretched his body - and the ball - over the goal line for a TD that made it 21-14 with 1:33 left.

INJURIES

Packers LG Lane Taylor hurt a knee in the first quarter and CB Jaire Alexander injured his groin in the first half. Neither returned.

UP NEXT

Packers: Host Detroit next Sunday.

Jets: At New England next Sunday.

12/24/2018 1:40 AM

The Jets are likely to have a coaching vacancy this offseason, with Todd Bowles expected to be fired when the 2018 season wraps up. There's a clear-cut emphasis on building around Sam Darnold, and a defensive-minded coach with a below .500 record just isn't going to survive a four- or five-win season.

According to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, the Jets are contemplating making a monster splash, or at least trying to anyway. New York, Florio reports, "is planning to make a run at Harbaugh after the season ends."

And in doing so, the Jets want to try and make him an offer he "can't refuse," throwing something in the range of $7 million a year to lure him away from Michigan.

Harbaugh's name always comes up in coaching rumors because of the success he had with the 49ers before leaving to coach his alma mater. Harbaugh joined San Francisco after building up the Stanford program and took the Niners to the NFC Championship Game in his first season. He came within a single play of beating his brother, John Harbaugh, and the Ravens in the Super Bowl.

It's been a while, though: Harbaugh's quarterback in that game was Colin Kaepernick, who isn't even on an NFL team anymore as he continues to battle the league in a collusion case.

12/24/2018 1:43 AM
JETS fire Todd Bowles after loss to the Cheaters
12/31/2018 3:26 AM

2019 NFL Draft Order

* indicates TBD in playoffs

1. Arizona Cardinals (3-13)
2. San Francisco 49ers (4-12)
3. New York Jets (4-12)
4. Oakland Raiders (4-12)
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-11)
6. New York Giants (5-11)
7. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11)
8. Detroit Lions (6-10)
9. Buffalo Bills (6-10)
10. Denver Broncos (6-10)
11. Cincinnati Bengals (6-10)
12. Green Bay Packers (6-9-1)
13. Miami Dolphins (7-9)
14. Atlanta Falcons (7-9)
15. Washington Redskins (7-9)
16. Carolina Panthers (7-9)
17. Cleveland Browns (7-8-1)
18. Minnesota Vikings (8-7-1)
19. Tennessee Titans (9-7)
20. Pittsburgh Steelers (9-6-1)
*21. Philadelphia Eagles (9-7)
*22. Indianapolis Colts (10-6)
*23. Seattle Seahawks (10-6)
*24. Los Angeles Chargers (12-4)
*25. Raiders from Dallas (10-6)
*26. Baltimore Ravens (10-6)
*27. Houston Texans (11-5)
*28. Raiders from Chicago (12-4)
*29. New England Patriots (11-5)
*30. Los Angeles Rams (13-3)
*31. Kansas City Chiefs (12-4)
*32. Packers from New Orleans (13-3)

CLOSED UNTIL DRAFT

12/31/2018 3:26 AM

Jets Coaching Rumors: Ex-Packers coach Mike McCarthy reportedly interviewing, intrigued by Sam Darnold

1/2/2019 4:02 AM
Posted by bronxcheer on 12/31/2018 3:26:00 AM (view original):
JETS fire Todd Bowles after loss to the Cheaters
You got one right. Notice it wasn't CNN.
1/4/2019 6:55 PM
McCarthy actively pursuing Jets job... apparently wants a place with no expectations.
1/9/2019 11:08 AM
McCarthy is the next Weeb!

All hail the Super Bowl Bound J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!
1/9/2019 3:40 PM
They hiring a new GM?
1/9/2019 5:47 PM
◂ Prev 1...47|48|49|50|51...61 Next ▸
NEW YORK JETS DRAFT+ GREAT FAN PAGE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.