Under Construction: Rebuilding Las Vegas Topic

what happens in Vegas......
11/23/2008 3:20 PM
stays in Vegas
11/23/2008 7:22 PM
Gives you herpes?
11/23/2008 8:29 PM
How do you restock the minors (with minor league players) without using valuable resources?
11/24/2008 9:45 AM
Draft. And the occassional 6 year FA or R5 pick(that gets sent down the following season). For the most part, you're only getting 2-3 future BL players in the draft. So I make sure I'm not wasting a pick. I'm not a fan of IFA because I think they're a poor use of resource(too expensive). But, if you want legit prospects other than the draft, you have to trade for them. If you have an aging, redundant player and another team suffers an injury, that's a good place to start. Also check the teams that are in the WC hunt. Your guy might be the one that puts them over the top. A lot of times you're just chasing your tail but, if it was easy, everyone would make the playoffs.
11/24/2008 10:02 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 11/22/2008
Quote: Originally Posted By hartjh14 on 11/22/2008
So what are you going to do to take the next step?

The maturation of my draftees should help me score a few more runs. I've added a couple of pitchers in the off-season. IIRC, I was up 2-0 in the LCS before losing in 7. I've been trying to make a deal for one more big bat(I have almost 10m in cap space) but it hasn't happened. I've got this guy http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=1660080 in AAA but I was hoping to give him one more season in the minors. It probably won't happen.
Historically, your problem (in my opinion) has been having a lot of solid pitching and losing to people with 1-2 elite SP in the playoffs. 4-5 quality SP will get you to the playoffs year after year. 2 elite SP will win you a WS. How are you going to get those elite guys so you can finally win a WS?
11/24/2008 10:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MikeT23 on 11/24/2008I'm not a fan of IFA because I think they're a poor use of resource(too expensive).  

This will vary, world by world and season by season.

People realize "****, IFAs are overpriced" and they shunt a little money away from prospects, which brings prices down - potentially allowing someone to clean up.
11/24/2008 10:23 AM
Very true. But, in each of my leagues, top IFA seems to bring in about 15m in bonus money with another level of them getting 10m+. Someone else might think 10m is a deal.
11/24/2008 10:36 AM
harthj, if I agreed with you, I'd either fork out the 20m deal that top SP get in FA or trade 2-3 of my top prospects to get one.

However, I don't agree. I've got two studs in MG(naturally the "stud" label varies by world) and still lost the LCS. I've to a perennial CY candidate(won 2 of the last 4) in Coop and still lost in the LCS. My HJ staff has 4-5 quality SP and I still lost in the LCS despite smacking his elite SP around.

I'd rather have 2 very good pitchers and a 3rd well above average over 1-2 elite guys. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have 1-2 elite AND a 1-2 very good SP. Unfortunately, they come at a cost.
11/24/2008 10:45 AM
What's the most a good draft class has ever cost you?

I usually have plenty over. I usually try to get a good IFA, and failing that, I supplement my minors by picking up key defensive positions in IFA.

Particularly all-glove, no-hit SS. Always good to have them around. These, I pretty much always get for cheap.
11/24/2008 10:51 AM
My best draft class was probably S4 of HJ. Should produce 5 BL players. Just under 10m.

I'll take the occassional flawed IFA and get him cheap. They make good filler and, if you happen to get a DITR, you never know where they'll end up.
11/24/2008 11:00 AM
It's not that I don't think IFA have a place. I'm sure some owners prefer signing 1 IFA for 10m over putting 12m in HS scouting and hoping to get a HS star. It's just that IFA are a crapshoot(because you don't know what you'll see or what other owners will bid) and I've seen teams sitting with 12m in unused prospect money when the season is done. That's not for me.
11/24/2008 11:07 AM
I was worried about that, too, when I devised my present strategy.

It has been manageable. I don't think I've ever had any money .
11/24/2008 11:41 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 11/24/2008
harthj, if I agreed with you, I'd either fork out the 20m deal that top SP get in FA or trade 2-3 of my top prospects to get one.

However, I don't agree. I've got two studs in MG(naturally the "stud" label varies by world) and still lost the LCS. I've to a perennial CY candidate(won 2 of the last 4) in Coop and still lost in the LCS. My HJ staff has 4-5 quality SP and I still lost in the LCS despite smacking his elite SP around.

I'd rather have 2 very good pitchers and a 3rd well above average over 1-2 elite guys. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have 1-2 elite AND a 1-2 very good SP. Unfortunately, they come at a cost.

So if that isn't it, why do you think you've lost time after time in the playoffs? I'm not asking to be a dick or get in an argument, I am just curious why you think you've never won a title with all the postseason appearances you've had. It isn't an accident or you'd have lucked into one. There has to be some common thread keeping you from getting one, and from what I saw the one season together in JB, it was your pitching. Obviously a small sample size, so what do you think it is?
11/24/2008 11:42 AM
MikeT tends to thrive in his divisions because his divisions are filled with HAK.

Once in the playoffs, he is mainstreamed with legitimate teams, and falters.

Think of the star pupil in a Special Ed class going into a REAL classroom.
11/24/2008 11:50 AM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...16 Next ▸
Under Construction: Rebuilding Las Vegas Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.