Under Construction: Rebuilding Las Vegas Topic

Quote: Originally Posted By hartjh14 on 11/24/2008
Quote: Originally Posted By MikeT23 on 11/24/2008

harthj, if I agreed with you, I'd either fork out the 20m deal that top SP get in FA or trade 2-3 of my top prospects to get one.

However, I don't agree. I've got two studs in MG(naturally the "stud" label varies by world) and still lost the LCS. I've to a perennial CY candidate(won 2 of the last 4) in Coop and still lost in the LCS. My HJ staff has 4-5 quality SP and I still lost in the LCS despite smacking his elite SP around.

I'd rather have 2 very good pitchers and a 3rd well above average over 1-2 elite guys. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have 1-2 elite AND a 1-2 very good SP. Unfortunately, they come at a cost.

So if that isn't it, why do you think you've lost time after time in the playoffs? I'm not asking to be a dick or get in an argument, I am just curious why you think you've never won a title with all the postseason appearances you've had. It isn't an accident or you'd have lucked into one. There has to be some common thread keeping you from getting one, and from what I saw the one season together in JB, it was your pitching. Obviously a small sample size, so what do you think it is

Early on, it was because I refused to invest money in RP(despite claiming that Rivera was the single most important player in the Yanks' WS run). Invariably I'd lose close games in the 7th-9th. Now it's something else. But, unless someone can provide evidence that I'm losing to Randy Johnson/Curt Schilling teams, I'm not buying the elite pitcher argument.

I honestly think, like as in the real world, the playoffs are a crapshoot. A homer by dead Kirk Gibson, a perfect game from Don Larsen, a great series by Brian Doyle, a horrible start by Roger Clemens, etc., etc. makes all the difference.

You get there with no noticable holes and pitch your best 3(4, if necessary). Then the little fake players decide the outcome with 0,1. There's no momentum, no heart, no extra effort.
11/24/2008 12:00 PM
Sorry but what is a HAK
11/24/2008 12:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SimSoxs on 11/24/2008Sorry but what is a HAK

"Helmeted Autistic Kid" division.
11/24/2008 12:53 PM
Ok how do you deal with that bad five year contract?
11/24/2008 7:59 PM
Not a lot of options.

You can include it in a deal, that you're losing, as a throw in.

You can find some use for the player. Just about every player has some value.

You can send him to the minors and call him up as a roster filler during injury(no salary bump, my favorite).

Or you can complain about the bad salary you inherited but no one will care.
11/24/2008 8:39 PM
or you can take him to a deserted back alley and shoot him in the back of the head like the kennedys. hahaha.
11/25/2008 9:53 AM
The Kennedy's were both shot out in public... not back alleys... A street in dallas and a hotel kitchen in LA.
11/25/2008 10:01 AM
hahaha. dead kennedys are good kennedys. hahaha.
11/25/2008 10:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by corpus on 11/25/2008hahaha. dead kennedys are good kennedys. hahaha.

The Dead Kennedys are pretty overrated on the basis of their awesome song titles. Black Flag and the Misfits are where it's at, and D.R.I.'s "Dealing With It" is certainly a high-water mark for the genre.

Or did I somehow miss your point?
11/25/2008 11:48 AM
Don't interact with the alias. You'll just encourage him.
11/25/2008 1:15 PM
OK a couple more questions and I'll try not to be a tard. Do you pay any attention to the coaches reports with the OPS and WHIP numbers?
11/26/2008 5:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimSoxs on 11/26/2008
Do you pay any attention to the coaches reports with the OPS and WHIP numbers?

Those reports sometimes help you notice someone/something you might otherwise overlook, but they also mention 26-year-old non-prospects toiling in High A.

They're more helpful than useful.
11/26/2008 5:43 AM
Nope. Minor league stats are largely BS thus the reports are largely BS.

I know who my prospects are(I have a note so the yellow marker appears next to their name) and I have a development plan for them. It's based on AB, IP, games and need. A 1.258 OPS in LoA doesn't change that.
11/26/2008 5:49 AM
Do you use a spread sheet or keep it all upstairs?
11/26/2008 7:56 AM
For my first 30+ seasons, I kept a spreadsheet for each team. I've gotten away from it with player notes. I think PN is underutilized as the yellow notepad gives you an easy way to see what you once thought on the Edit Rosters screen.

I do promotions, deactivations, etc., on Saturday/Sunday mornings unless an injury/fatigue forces an earlier move. That's usually about every 20 games. Position players, depending on skill, are given 200-500 AB at a level and pitchers get around 25-30 appearances before I'll consider them for promotion.

My goal is to have them ready when they go on the 40. If they haven't made it when they can become 6 year FA, they probably won't make it.
11/26/2008 8:13 AM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15|16 Next ▸
Under Construction: Rebuilding Las Vegas Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.