WKRP Radio (or How to Rebuild a Disaster) Topic

I must say thank you for this incredible thread! I've read all of it, and have used the information to understand this game better. This will allow me to become a true fan, and appreciate the little things in HBD. This is my second season, but the first that I truly feel ready for, thanks to this thread. Thanks for posting c-Wood, and all the other veterans who offered their two cents. This is great!
Oh btw I'm coaching the San Diego Friar Tux in the Gehrig World, just finished Arby/Coach Re-hire, and I'm looking to move some older players for some prospects.
2/29/2008 9:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tyd2k1 on 2/29/2008I must say thank you for this incredible thread! I've read all of it, and have used the information to understand this game better. This will allow me to become a true fan, and appreciate the little things in HBD. This is my second season, but the first that I truly feel ready for, thanks to this thread. Thanks for posting c-Wood, and all the other veterans who offered their two cents. This is great!
Oh btw I'm coaching the San Diego Friar Tux in the Gehrig World, just finished Arby/Coach Re-hire, and I'm looking to move some older players for some prospects.
Thanks!
2/29/2008 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by csherwood on 2/29/2008I am absolutely certain that playnig a guy at a lower level or in the minor leagues longer will in no way affect the rate that his ratings improve.

But hasn't support unequivocally stated that guys improve more at lower levels then they do at the bigs?
3/1/2008 12:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marsrover21 on 3/01/2008
Quote: Originally posted by csherwood on 2/29/2008I am absolutely certain that playnig a guy at a lower level or in the minor leagues longer will in no way affect the rate that his ratings improve.
But hasn't support unequivocally stated that guys improve more at lower levels then they do at the bigs?

No, support has never said this.
3/1/2008 7:56 AM
Correct. Support has never specifically said this, but it has implied this to be the case.

What is the best way to develop a player? What are the pitfalls/factors that help a player reach their projected ratings? Is it possible for every player to reach their potential, or are the players that don't reach their projections a deliberate part of the game design? ( leppykahn - Hall of Famer - 3:41 PM)

Lots of factors are at play. Player makeup rating, age, peak age (varies from player to player), coaching staff, performance, level/age relationship (25 yr old at lo a isn't a good idea, for example), injuries and demotions. Most players should reach their projection assuming a normal progression pattern. Remember, some players continue to improve beyond 27 years old, but the display of projected ratings lock in at age 27. If they improve beyond that, their projected ratings synch up to their current ratings.

Does the level a player is at affect his speed of development? Or is it only a product of coaching, playing time, and success? ( wilhitec - Pro - 3:43 PM)

Yes. Level and age matter and so does repeating a level too many times
3/1/2008 12:34 PM
I disagree. I read the references to age and level to mean dont keep a guy a too low of a level or he wont progress as quickly. For example, dont give him 1 year in rookie, 2 in Low A, 2 in High A, etc... The only penalty WIS has ever confirmed for bringing a guy up too early is that he will underperform from what his ratings are.
3/1/2008 2:22 PM
good read.
3/1/2008 3:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by csherwood on 3/01/2008I disagree. I read the references to age and level to mean dont keep a guy a too low of a level or he wont progress as quickly. For example, dont give him 1 year in rookie, 2 in Low A, 2 in High A, etc... The only penalty WIS has ever confirmed for bringing a guy up too early is that he will underperform from what his ratings are.

WIS has also said moving a player through the system too fast can stunt their growth. I believe they have implied there is a happy medium of how to progress players through a system.
3/1/2008 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plague on 3/01/2008
WIS has also said moving a player through the system too fast can stunt their growth. I believe they have implied there is a happy medium of how to progress players through a system.

This is my understanding.
3/1/2008 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by marsrover21 on 3/01/2008
Quote: Originally posted by plague on 3/01/2008WIS has also said moving a player through the system too fast can stunt their growth. I believe they have implied there is a happy medium of how to progress players through a system.
This is my understanding.

I hold firm to my belief that if a guy's current ratings are ML worthy, he should be in the majors regardless of his age or his projections.

That said, I did send my draft pick to Hi-A (my AA hitting coach is weak, so I will play him Hi-A for about 30 games, then make the call as to whether he should stay there for the year or go to AAA). He may still end up in the bigs after roster expansion this season, though. And if I am in the playoff hunt at the time, I will add him to my 40 and have him playoff roster eligible before rosters expand.
3/1/2008 6:25 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
3/1/2008 7:36 PM
He wont use a year of ML service time if he comes up in September.
3/1/2008 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by csherwood on 3/01/2008He wont use a year of ML service time if he comes up in September.

He wont use a season anytime you bring the player up 10 games after the season starts. The point still stands, if you bring the player up in Sept, and I wait until 10 days after the next season starts, I gain 1 season on the backend compared to you getting the one season on the front end.
3/1/2008 10:05 PM
Its not something Im overly concerned with. I dont game the system like that as a general rule - if I have a rookie ready for the bigs at the start of the year, I bring him up at the start.
3/2/2008 1:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by csherwood on 3/02/2008Its not something Im overly concerned with. I dont game the system like that as a general rule - if I have a rookie ready for the bigs at the start of the year, I bring him up at the start.

Its the same in real life. You can coach the team the way you want, I am just bringing up a advantage(a fairly reasonable one) of keeping the player in the minors one more season.
3/2/2008 9:17 AM
◂ Prev 1...17|18|19|20|21...27 Next ▸
WKRP Radio (or How to Rebuild a Disaster) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.