WKRP Radio (or How to Rebuild a Disaster) Topic

ROOKIE LEAGUE PREPARATION

Rookie League is different from the other 4 minor league levels. you get 30 active roster spots and 0 inactive spots. I therefore use a different makeup for my Rookie roster. I will use 9 starting position players, and keep one backup catcher, 2 backup shortstops (guys that can sub in at any position but catcher), and one final miscellaneous player. On the pitching side, I use a huge staff of 17 pitchers. 8 of them are starters used in 4 tandem sets. 4 more are long relievers, 4 are setup guys, and 1 closer. Pitching fatigue has never been an issue for me at Rookie League with this makeup, and due to the short season, I never experience position player fatigue either.

Once I have all my draft picks, combined with all of the guys that I had "stored" down in Rookie League (guys that did not fit on any of my rosters when I set them at the start of the season), I try to make them fit my plan. Normally, I find myself several position players and pitchers short - and also having a handful of extra corner outfielders, first basemen, and relievers over. These extra guys get released. This is the only time all season I release guys outright in mass batches. The holes in my roster get filled with minor league free agents and Tryout Camp pitchers.

After the roster is complete to my liking, I make certain to set stuff like pitch counts, depth charts, and the like. I am then ready to go with the Rookie League season. As the season progresses, I may release an extra player here or there if I sign an international or a holdout draft pick (or I may just assign the late guy to a higher minor league level). I also may occasionally grab another minor league free agent or tryout camp guy if I suffer an injury. If they injury is short term (under 15 days or so), I may just go with a 29 man roster. However, any long term injuries at Rookie League will result in my filling that roster spot. Remember, guys on the DL do not count towards the 30 man roster.

I am now set for the start of Rookie League. The next major in-season event will be the All Star Break. I also note that I have an interleague play series coming up against threester's team very soon. While my team is not nearly as competitive as his, it will be a battle of 5 all-time championships against 3 (or *cross my fingers* maybe even 4 as I am tied 2-2 in the NABCL World Series right now). It is definitely not often in HBD that that many championships are on the field at one time.

Up next -- Les Nessman will be back with his updates every 10 games until the All Star break.
5/25/2007 7:45 PM
70 GAME UPDATE: 32-38

WKRP's Les Nessman reporting:

It is back to the old form for the Flytraps as they have gone a weak 3-7 in their past 10 games to drop 6 games under the .500 mark. This team finally appears to be playing down to its potential. There is very little good news to report from the past 10 games. Therefore, we will be starting a new feature with today's update: Spotlight on the Future. Our first Spotlight will be on AAA player Roosevelt Abbott.

Abbott is a 20 year old right-handed bat. Offensively, he is presently 74-60-68-60-52 with a projection to 93-65-79-78-67. He has mediocre speed and baserunning skills. Defensively, one day he could be a second baseman or center fielder. However, a couple seasons of bad coaching have his defensive skills sagging and he looks more like a fielder if he reaches the big leagues this year or next.

So far this season, Abbott is hitting .332 with 6 HR and 60 RBI. While those are solid numbers, management currently has him targeted for one more season in the minor leagues after this one. Hopefully, he can develop his defensive skills and work on his contact over that time, after which he should be a solid contributer at the major league level for years to come.

That is it for this week's spotlight. Next update after 80 games.
5/27/2007 9:44 PM
Just wondering - Have your holdout draftees signed yet? And did you offer any of them less than their "slot money" demands? I've seen some owners with consistent success at signing drafted players at 5-10% less than slot.
5/28/2007 11:02 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
5/28/2007 11:12 PM
80 GAME UPDATE: 35-45
Les Nessman reporting again:
Nothing good to report from the past 10 games. The team has gone 3-7, including dropping their last 5 in a row. Early season offensive star Matt Kirwan is in the throes of a huge slump, and pitching sensation Carlos Morales now has a 4.39 ERA. However, one game short of the mid-point of the season and the team is only 8 wins away from matching last season's total.
Today's Spotlight on the Future features AA player Parker Bennett. Bennett is a 19 year old hand hitting Center field or corner outfield prospect. He was the 8th overall pick, which even prior managemnt could not mess up picking that high. He projects to 80-83-71-73-86 offensively, has solid range and glove projections defensively, a 57 speed with mediocre baserunning skill, and a very high makeup. His durability is low (currently 52, projects to 71) but his health is in the 90s. At AA so far this season, Parker is batting .369 with a 1.110 OPS. Management plans to leave him at AA for the rest of this season, and give him a full year at AAA next. But the hope is that by age 21, in Season 6, he will be ready for the big leagues. His performance so far this season at AA seems to show that he is on the right track.
Next update after Game 90.
5/31/2007 5:06 PM
90 GAME UPDATE: 40-50

Les Nessman reports:

With the All-Star break one game away, the 'traps are 10 games under .500, having posted a 5-5 mark in their last 10. Once again, there is very little good news to report, and in fact not a single member of the team is currently slated to play in the All-Star game (pending any very last minute changes).

In today's Spotlight on the Future, we look at AA shortstop Marshall Ferrell. Ferrell was one of the key offseason acquisitions for the team. He projects offensively to 68-84-78-72-76. He has a 77 speed and projects to 76 baserunning. Defensively, he projects to 78-77-82-91, not the best range and glove for SS, but more than making up for it with an accurate and strong arm. He has an incredible makeup (99) and very good health and durability as well, leading to a projected overall rating of 92. Only at 73 right now, he is also only 20 years old and tearing up AA at .355, 31 HR, 104 RBI at the all-star break. He, like Abbott and Bennett, should be in the big leagues by no later than Season 6.

With very little news lately in the major leagues, from here on out there will only be updates every 30 games instead of every 10. Of course, any breaking stories will be reported immediately. Also, management is expected shortly to have releases regarding both the All Star Break as well as the upcoming Trade Deadline.

Next regular update after game 120.
6/3/2007 8:47 PM
IN-SEASON EVENT #2: ALL-STAR BREAK
After the Amateur Draft/start of Rookie ball, the next major in-season event is the All-Star Break. As WIS does not actually simulate the events of the break, there is nothing to actually do here but sit back and catch your breath. It does make for a good chance to spend a few minutes evaluating your team.
During the 7AM off-cycle at the very end of the break, Diamonds in the Rough are announced. In about 7 or 8 of these Diamonds cycles so far, I have only seen 1 guy that has actually improved into projecting to be a major leaguer. Most of them are just garbage (only slightly worse garbage than they were before). If I do get a legitimate Diamond, I will evaluate the level that he is playing at and make certain I boost him up if he warrants it (for example, a guy with 3 years pro experience down at Low A - he should go to either AA or even AAA ASAP).
The only other thing I make certain to do at the All-Star Break is to double check who I have on the Trade Block and what my Trade Needs are currently listed as. There are only a handful of real life days between the Break and the Trade Deadline, so this is the time to begin preparing for any late-season wheeling and dealing. Keep an eye on World Chat as well, as people will now begin to advertise what they are looking for/looking to move.
In Cincinnati, there is not much to do. I got one Diamond and he was still garbage after the projections got boosted. My Trade Needs (prospects) and Trade Block (more or less my entire ML roster) stay the same. I have a couple guys that I would really like to move, including starting pitcher Daryl Thompson and closer Daniel Truman, but so far noone has expressed any interest in them. I am beginning to think that my roster may be set for this season and any further attempts to clear bad salaries off the books will have to wait until either next spring or, possibly, I will just have to eat the contracts and let them play out.
The next In-Season Event will be the Trade Deadline day, which includes the opening up of revocable waivers.
6/5/2007 3:32 PM
As a newbie - I just wanted to thank you for this excellent thread. Great stuff.
6/5/2007 7:51 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By cosborn on 6/05/2007
As a newbie - I just wanted to thank you for this excellent thread. Great stuff.

agreed, following the Aaron/Ruth thread, this has easily been the most inciteful thread I have read.
6/5/2007 9:15 PM
Just wanted to let you know that im still readin this and its still awesome. Keep it up and good luck.
6/5/2007 9:24 PM
Thanks all. I will try to keep it going as long as I have this team, so hopefully by the end it should be "How to Build and Maintain a Dynasty" rather than simply "How to Rebuild a Disaster".
6/5/2007 10:28 PM
WKRP has become my only "must-read" thread. Great job! Having cut so much in salaries, if the team finishes above 70 wins, I'd say it's been an all-around success!
6/8/2007 1:24 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By csherwood on 4/22/2007
First, I move bad contract but great hitting PT Baez and young starting pitcher L Torcato (he had been one of the few guys I wanted to keep). In exchange I net a decent AAA prospect pitcher, a decent power hitting outfield prospect, and a shortstop prospect that will be a complete stud. The SS is still a couple years away. While I hate to lose Torcato, moving Baez's contract (if he doesnt reject the deal) and bringing in 3 prospects, one a stud, is worth it.

Hosed the other owner in this deal. Torcato is average at best and that shortstop is fantastic. In short, you got the two best players in the deal and traded away the worst contract.
6/8/2007 1:53 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By MGreenwell on 6/08/2007
Quote: Originally Posted By csherwood on 4/22/2007

First, I move bad contract but great hitting PT Baez and young starting pitcher L Torcato (he had been one of the few guys I wanted to keep). In exchange I net a decent AAA prospect pitcher, a decent power hitting outfield prospect, and a shortstop prospect that will be a complete stud. The SS is still a couple years away. While I hate to lose Torcato, moving Baez's contract (if he doesnt reject the deal) and bringing in 3 prospects, one a stud, is worth it.

Hosed the other owner in this deal. Torcato is average at best and that shortstop is fantastic. In short, you got the two best players in the deal and traded away the worst contract.
This deal may be among the reasons why I have not gotten anyone at all interested in making any trade deadline deals.
6/8/2007 1:58 PM
IN-SEASON EVENT #3 - TRADE DEADLINE
Coming close on the heels of the All-Star Break, the Trade Deadline is the beginning of the stretch run of the season. It comes with just under 60 games , and for those teams in contention for a playoff spot, it is now time to make your move.
Although it is called the Trade or Transaction Deadline, in fact it is not a true deadline in any real sense. What this deadline really is is the last day to make a trade without having to first get a player to clear waivers. The real "deadline" for teams competing for playoff spots is 24 hours before Roster Expansion day (because the player has to be on your 40 man roster, meaning the trade having been completed, in order to be eligible to play in the major league playoffs). For teams not in playoff contention, there is no true deadline.
There is a somewhat confusing statement in the schedule that is generated that states that deals must be accepted 24 hours prior to the trade deadline in order to pass because of the 24 hour approval period. This is not true. Any deal accepted (even if not completed) before the PM2 cycle on which the Trade Deadline runs will go through. I would however warn against getting involved in deals with players that can reject trades near this deadline because if they do in fact reject the deal, you may now be stuck with them, with no time to redo the deal.
A cycle or two after the trade deadline passes, I go ahead and set up my revocable waivers. Prior to the trade deadline, if you place a player on waivers and he is claimed, you lose him for good (and get relieved of having to pay his salary). After the trade deadline, when you waive a player, you can check a box that says "Auto-revoke" or some such. This means that if the guy gets claimed, you pull him back and he stays on your team. Any player that clears waivers without being claimed, and all minor leaguers, may be traded freely. Any player that is claimed may only be traded to the team that in fact won the claim. You will get an email telling you who won the claim and that you can only trade the guy to that team -- and if you delete this email there is currently no way to find out who won the claim unless the other guy tells you.
Some people believe in trying to work out a deal then passing their guy through waivers to see if it will work. I do not. Instead, anyone that I would possibly consider trading gets put on revocable waivers as soon as the deadline passes. This means that as early as possible I will know who can be traded and, for guys that are claimed, who I can try to trade that particular guy to. Also, players only get to make 2 waiver claims per day. If you place all your guys on waivers (which lasts 2 days) at the same time, at most a sharp player that is trying to foil you from making moves can claim 4 of your guys. And odds are that most players placing claims will all claim the same or from the same group of 7 or 8 guys. This means if you throw 12-15 guys onto revocable waivers, at least half a dozen should make it thorugh, including guys that may not have made it if placed on waivers all alone. I will evenly occasionally place guys I have no intention to trade at all onto waivers just to eat up some of the claims so my lesser guys make it.
Once waiver clearing is done, it is time to make deals if you want. While I follow the same mass-revocable waiver procedure for all my teams, most of the time I won't make any moves after the deadline anyhow. But the point is that I *can* make a deal if I want to.
In Cincinnati, my major league roster this season is filled with guys that for the most part have no long term future with my team. I therefore intend to place close to all 25 guys onto waivers. If any get claimed, I will try to negotiate a deal with the claiming party. For those that clear waivers, I will simply hope to drum up some interest. I expect most of my roster to clear because most of them stink and have bad contracts. I had been completely unable to make any pre-trade deadline deals, but that does not mean I have no chance of making a move or two before the end of the season.
Up next -- Les Nessman will be back after Game 120 with another update. Also, there may be a special bulletin soon as the team is closing in on passing last year's win total. The next In-Season event will be Roster Expansion/End of Minor League Regular Season/Start of Minor League Playoffs (3 events that all occur almost at the same time so I group them together as one)
6/10/2007 3:40 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...27 Next ▸
WKRP Radio (or How to Rebuild a Disaster) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.