D3 Gameplanning & Recruiting Topic

This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
4/7/2008 1:34 AM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
4/7/2008 1:43 AM
I'll look into getting some statistics.. I have a PF like that now, and I'll give you some play-by-plays of the games to show how He has more range.. It's not that I want him to be like Dirk Nowitzki.. In Fact, I don't.. I think Dirk isn't aggressive enough in the paint and lacks post presence although he's a great shooter.. I want a PF who can defend that post, but has the range to extend into the wings, medium baseline, and the high posts.. Not necessarily 3 point range. The extra dimension resulting in less post play for him, but it also draws out the other PF's and C's... Leaving the paint vulnerable.. It also depends on the Offense you run.. I'm running a Triangle right now, but I'm not sure If i want to stick with it with him or not.. Either way, I'd always look for a Perimeter rating over 25 or 30 in recruiting for my Post Players, maybe not so much the center, but the PF, That way he's got an extra dimension.. and an advantage over the opposition (In most Cases)
I'm going to work on getting some play-by-plays.. I'll go check for some now and see If I can't post them up here later on. Thanks for your support and feedback, OldResorter!
4/7/2008 12:03 PM
OR fwiw - in the dev chat on player ratings Admin mentioned that he would prefer a post player with an 80/30 LP/PE split over a player with a 93/2 LP/PE split, all other things being equal.
I've had the same view that you did, and generally glossed over PFs in general, preferring to run 2 Cs in those spots. I have started to branch out, and will be watching the performance of a few players on my current teams, namely Avent (Maine), Ritchie (St. Joe's), Schweiger and to a lesser extent Ashford and Sun (all 3 on UCLA).
4/7/2008 12:48 PM
OR... The one I'm interested in watching is on my Washburn team.. My frosh PF.. I think he'll be able to get that theory in motion once his IQ increases enough.. That's the problem now.. Though, already In a few of the Play by Plays I've seen him taking Mid-Range Jumpers, and on one occasion my PG actually had a put-back from a jumper.. That's another thing to consider.. If the opposing PF or C is removed from the paint, It may leave the paint open for offensive rebounds.. Probably not very often, But I can see it happening.
4/7/2008 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By oldresorter on 4/07/2008
acn - I remember seeing that in the chat, sometimes, admin says stuff with his developer hat off and his coaches hat on, I considered that comment to be one of those, my money is on the 90 lp / 1 per player over the 80 lp / 30 PER, at least right now.
I have all d1 teams (so I can't say about d3 anymore), I looked real quickly, my gut told me my low PER players were at least as good of FG% players as my high ones. I will start watching it closer for a while, as I think it is a great topic.
As magic points out, the secondary affects like fewer to's, put backs, etc, would take some time to study.
And based on coaching records - my money would certainly be on your interpretation of things. :)

That is also what I am generally seeing...from my UCLA team, comparing Downs (97/11 - 44%FG) and Schweiger (80/38 - 42%FG), Downs has been a little better over their 1st 2 seasons (both came in w/ F IQs in motion), despite Downs being a starter and facing stronger competition. The comparasion is less effective on my St. Joe's team because of IQ differences, but the low PE posts are vastly outperforming Ritchie.

Perhaps there are secondary benefits - the C playing with Schweiger sees less help defense in the post, less congestion in the lane makes it easier for my SF/SG/PG to drive, etc. I think the secondary benefits are where the biggest benefits may lie, but they are extremely difficult to test for.
4/7/2008 4:52 PM
You might also consider higher than 30's and 40's in perimeter.. If you practice Perimeter and it rises to 50 to 60.. I would bet that's where the real advantage begins to show.. That's what I'm going to Keep an eye on with Albert Chapple...
4/7/2008 11:55 PM
could someone please help me learn how to get a D2 player when I am in D3? I did the make a phone call to former coach and hope they come to me when they are not drafted by a D2 but it didn't seem to work out. However, I did continue to call them to keep up, could that have mattered? Others in my league have successfully gotten the drop down. I have won my conference but have not gotten the talent that I would expect after 7 seasons. Please help me out, what is the trick?
4/15/2008 5:55 PM
Bump
4/22/2008 10:01 PM
4/23/2008 1:51 AM
And dont believe the pull down strategies, most of them are BS some of them may work, but they are really just glorified drop downs.
4/23/2008 7:52 AM
If you promise a player 20 minutes does the game consider the promise kept if he averages that, or does it have to be above 20 in every single game of the season?
4/24/2008 1:55 AM
He has to average it, but that doesnt include games where you foul out.
4/24/2008 6:38 AM
depends on his WE alot, some guys if you promise 20 mins and give him 15 or 16 he will be okay, but others if you promise 20, and give them 19, they will be mad. I had a guy i promised 15 mins to, and he was averaging 14.3 mpg, and the whole year he complained.
4/24/2008 12:51 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By redsoxrootr1 on 4/23/2008And dont believe the pull down strategies, most of them are BS some of them may work, but they are really just glorified drop downs
LMAO!!! Then how do you explain the fact that i currently have 2 guys considering me in D2 knight who still show up on the D1 search for me. Could it be that i pulled them down?
4/25/2008 1:50 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...11 Next ▸
D3 Gameplanning & Recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.