D3 Gameplanning & Recruiting Topic

Quote: Originally Posted By HalfAstros on 4/29/2008
I sent in a ticket to ask admin if the "off the court" comments mean anything. Here is the response:

"Yes - certainly when 'dilemmas' were part of the game (and that feature may be resumed at a later date) but they still play a role when it comes to learning about how a player may react to being redshirted, not living up to promises, leaving early for the NBA, grades, etc."

That's pretty interesting. Thanks for checking, Halfastros.
7/23/2008 9:43 AM
Thanks for doing an update. I often point new coaches looking for advice in this direction, as I still find myself learning something on this thread from time to time.
7/23/2008 1:59 PM
I used this once starting as well
7/23/2008 2:09 PM
lots of good information in this thread.
7/23/2008 4:52 PM
I agree i find it impossible to find solid small forwards... look at elswick! Hes a train wreck. Thanks for the help OR
7/24/2008 11:31 AM
The advice on core ratings is critical for newbies, for both recruiting and practice plans. This might be one of the most important, and least self-evident parts of the game. That is, knowing that a C with 50 RB and 1 BH is generally much better than one with 24 RB and 25 BH.

I also went with your advice on SFs my first season, and was happy with the results.

In my 10 seasons since then, I've now recruited SF All Americans, and had a couple of teams that went to the NT title game without a starting SF (using a PF and A PG at SF).

I've actually been able to recruit a number of pretty good D3 SFs, but the problem is that for every good one you see, there are 100 bad ones.

I think skipping SFs is good advice for a first-year coach, my only addition might be to add that there is nothing wrong with a SF if you do happen upon a good one. It might be worth explaining what makes a good one and why they are hard to find.
7/24/2008 1:40 PM
For me, it's always a cost-benefit analysis. Will the best SF I can get help my team more than a PF or SG in the position?

When I first started coaching at Western New Mexico, one of my first players was SF James Roby. I took some heat for recruiting him in D2, but he ended up a 700+ overall player and I believe first team all conference twice.

Other seasons, I've found that there's really no one, even drop downs, that would help my team, so I generally go with a PF to stick in there.

Not that I've had a lot of success, but what little I've had, was from situations like this.
7/24/2008 10:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HalfAstros on 7/24/2008It might be worth explaining what makes a good one and why they are hard to find.

anyone care to take a stab at this one? I'd really like to know so I can decide when recruiting if the one I'm seeing is one of the good ones or one who I should sub a PF in for...
8/4/2008 10:17 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By roth13nyy on 8/04/2008anyone care to take a stab at this one? I'd really like to know so I can decide when recruiting if the one I'm seeing is one of the good ones or one who I should sub a PF in for...
I'll give you my opinion. I'm not HOFer, although I've had some success.

SF need decent ratings in ATH, SPD, RB, LP, PE, BH, and PA. That's what makes good ones so hard to find. Depending on your defense, you also have to consider their DEF and SB ratings too.

For a post player, you can have very low PE, BH, and PA. For a guard, you can have very low RB and LP. Since most D3 recruits come in around 390-440 points total, it's much harder to find a good SF than a post or guard.
8/7/2008 5:26 PM
i'm going to play devils advocate here, even though i tend to agree that PF's (and sometimes SG's) often make better SF's in D3 than sF's do..

in discussing why a good SF is hard to find, you guys indcate that they just have to have so many things they need to be good at, and you just cant find that. agreed.

but when you are looking at a SG or PF to fill the role, it suddenly becomes unnecessary to have all these talents?

I think that whoever fills the SF role, you have to realize that they are jsut no going to be as well rounded as you would like a SF to be.

I think the main problem i usually see with getting SF to play SF in D3 is the rebounding. I run a zone, so I really need a rebounder at SF.

regardless of who I put at SF, I need RE, so... what will I skimp on?

first of all, BH. Its nice to have a SF with BH, but at D3 it is a luxury, imo.

next, i usually try to develop my SF as either a PE or an LP guy. I know that admin has stated that a double threat is a big advantage for a scorer, but i think it is jsut a luxury at D3. in order to make it happen, you prolly need a kid who you plan to give zero minutes in footwork and BH. and who doesnt need much study hall and who doesnt need alot of work on PA or STA. then maybe you can develop a double threat player.

Lately, i have noticed more SG's that can rebound fairly well as incoming freshmen. I have a SG in Iba that is just starrting his SR year and is at 80RE. i think he will be the best SF I ever had in D3.
8/8/2008 9:34 AM
by the way, OR, I allways point newplayers in my Iba D3 conference to this thread. i think it has really helped several of them.

In particular, I think it was a great idea to focus only on D3. alot of strategies change (or at least get tweaked) as you move up the ladder adn when the conversation is not focused to one division, it tends to muddy the waters.

anyway... thanks... well done.
8/8/2008 9:38 AM
I would recommend that novice coaches avoid battling another coach for recruits, but if need be, never battle for a player who is farther than 190 miles or so away (200 starts costing quite a bit more $) .

I totally agree. but i hope that newcoaches dont take this to mean they should never recurit a long distance player. just dont battle for one.

this is one of the best reasons to save a good chunk of money for later on. in D3 there seem to usually be more than enough recruits to go around. and you can often find an undecided kid that is long distance for you that is better (or suits your needs better) than any of the local kids.

I would advise newcoaches to wait until signing day (maybe a cycle or two before the signings begin, but waiting until after signings start is ok too) to jump on long distance recruits. oftetimes you can sign them with only calls and letters.
8/8/2008 9:47 AM
good point dave
8/8/2008 9:51 AM
For the record 180 and 360 are the price increases. (the majority of the time) I've done a pretty detailed study on this and posted it to the forums. I just can't find the post now.
8/11/2008 2:56 PM
bump
8/23/2008 2:08 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...11 Next ▸
D3 Gameplanning & Recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.