D3 Gameplanning & Recruiting Topic

Does anyone know anything that I am doing wrong or something that I could do to improve my team??

I have the highest avg (tied with Gwynedd-Mercy) of player ratings in conference, but it just doesn't show up come game-time.
If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it.

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=12634

Thanks,
Brad
5/23/2009 3:24 PM
To be blunt your team just isn't good. You may have the same average rating, but what I like to do when comparing teams on paper is to look at the average ratings minus WE and DU, because they play no factor in the outcome of the game. While you and Gwynedd-Mercy have the same overall rating, if you take away your 19 point edge in WE and 34 point edge in DU your team's average ratings in categories that matter in the game is 53 points lower than GM. Your team also is very unathletic and slow, even for a D3 team. You don't have 1 player with a 50 athleticism and only 1 player with a 50 speed. While GM has 5 players with a 50 athleticism and 6 with at least 50 speed.

Take a look at my team, and compare it to yours. My team's average athleticism is 56, 8 of my 12 players are over 50 with 3 guys over 70. 7 of my 12 are over 50 speed. Half of my team is made up of players that have both 50 athleticism and 50 speed.

Your team is also weak on the boards, you have a team average of 28 and only 3 guys over 40. I think the areas to focus most on to begin building a good team is atheticism, speed and rebounding. Passing, perimeter and free throw shooting would be next then defense, ball handling, LP and shot blocking.
5/23/2009 4:19 PM
Ok...I have only had 2 chances to recruit players so far and both of those classes were in my first 2 seasons and were before I started learning and reading all of the help on the forums.

Thanks a lot,
Brad
5/23/2009 5:51 PM
Can anyone explain the "drop-down" thing to me about recruiting D2 players for a D3 school?
5/24/2009 2:07 PM
???????????
5/26/2009 1:01 PM
D2 recruits will become D3 recruits when they aren't getting attention from D2 schools. Those are the guys succesful D3 teams tend to nab up. You can be a solid D3 team with just D3 recruits but to be a contender you have to get the dropdowns.
5/26/2009 1:05 PM
How do you know who came from the D2 though?
5/26/2009 3:18 PM
My suggestion is to pring out the original list of recruits. The dropdowns usually begin to come just after the first signing period. When you go to search for a recruit, compare the recruits on you screen with the ones on your printed sheet.
5/27/2009 9:11 AM
I don't remember my ratios on dropdowns to D3 recruits but I think it may be around 50/50. My leading scorer is actually a D3 recruit but an unusual one who started with a 480 or rating with only about a 40 DU. The biggest problem these days in getting D2 dropdowns is the recruit generation. Overall recruits aren't as good as they were when I first started this game 10 months ago.

Last recruiting season something happened that has never happened to me. I was recruiting a 400 overall guy (D3 recruit) but he had a 70 reb rating, and 2 D2 schools ended up battling for him. Overall all recruits aren't as good as they used to be, so the dropdowns aren't as good and you have D2 schools dipping down to grab the best D3 recruits.

I think recruiting is harder now than it was, but I think at the same time that lends an advantage to the best coaches. OR, those type of guys you're talking about really aren't that common anymore, and the ones that do have those ratings have major deficiencies else where. Like you might find a 65sp guard but he'll have like 22pa with low potential. Or a 65ath big who has 30reb and is a 57% FT shooter with low potential.
5/27/2009 2:04 PM
ok thanks a lot guys
5/27/2009 3:08 PM
~bump
5/31/2009 1:30 PM
my team plays a fast break offense and i get lots of turnovers - i have always thought REB was important for my SFs, but am starting to think i need a good ballhandler/passer almost more than a rebounder - any thoughts onthat
7/28/2009 7:45 PM
bump
pnwb
8/6/2009 11:16 PM
I am curious as to how people are using their scouting budgets in div 3. my team is in pennsylvania and I have always just scouted that state and maybe a couple of other NE states (DEL, VT, NH) and gone after the best players in those states.

However obviously some people are waiting until after signings start and then scouting a bunch more states. I am curious as to what other people in div 3 may be doing with FSS.
8/18/2009 3:33 PM
i think the top div 3 programs benefit from the coaches teams in the other divisions
8/18/2009 8:49 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11 Next ▸
D3 Gameplanning & Recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.