MLD World Thread #2 Topic

I've added an up-to-date listing of MLD Cup Winners on the 4th post of this thread, waaaaaaay back on page 1

7/17/2011 2:36 PM
With the retirement of Henrik Salmenoksa, the Manchester Storm are proud to announce that their new FP is C Emmanuel Ahlstein.
7/18/2011 11:58 AM
Encountered an unusual event while doing the Yr26-Yr27 offseason bonuses.  I'm gonna explain it here so its documented.  Its a very minor thing but just want to make sure I cover my bases and explain it in the event it occurs again.  (The fact it has taken 26 seasons to occur is testament to how often it will likely occur.  Come to think of it, I think this may have happened a few seasons back....I just didnt document it.

The irregularity involves The Bottom 6 bonus, which was/is a long time(and possibly original) rule that was created to assist non-playoff teams.  Reason being was that back then, non-playoff(NP) teams and their players did not earn improvements during the playoffs due to the fact that the NP players(back then) did not earn natural skill increases, while the playoff bound teams/players did.

This past offseason, Beaverdale finished 6th last in the league HOWEVER they still qualified for the playoffs.  They ended up picking 6th overall in the draft.  However, due to them making the playoffs, they are/were not eligible for the B6 bonus.

The B6 player bonus in question (+2 to STA, SHO,SKA and DEF to to 1st Round selection ONLY) ended up going to Michipicoten's 1st round draft pick, Thommy Saarenvirta.  Reason being is that although Michipicoten picked 7th overall, they were the 6th last ranked team to not make the playoffs.
7/20/2011 9:16 PM
Am finding some interesting MLD facts and records while working on the stats spreadsheet.  Using colored font to highlight record streaks and/or totals.  (good and bad)

The shaded colored backgrounds are to track GMs in control of any given franchise.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnrC-Ogagw7kdDA4aldWTU5fYkFweDVOUS1xdVpNSUE&hl=en_US

Like Max's 12 seasons in a row of qualifying for the playoffs!  amazing stuff!
Or like the current streak Yogsloth's has active, but is in serious jeopardy of ending this season..(which as of this post, isnt up-to-date yet on the file, I cheated and looked ahead)  11 consecutive seasons reaching 100 or more points in regular season action!  amazing!
8/8/2011 7:32 PM
The conclusion of Season 27 marks the retirement of Pontiac Firebirds franchise player Colin Elvis.

New Pontiac FP is D Risto Sinilaakso.

9/23/2011 4:07 PM
Looks like Indy needs a new FP ... retiring will be D Clarke Malmitera who played nine full seasons with Indianapolis, never missing a game or spending anytime in the minors.  Retires with 508 pts in 738 regular season games; that goes along with 50 pts in 83 career playoff games.  Retirements suck!

The Racers new FP will be D Ilja Rekonen
9/26/2011 4:34 PM
Tornados new FP is D Brendon Jackson.
9/26/2011 8:49 PM
So I've been noticing a trend while doing the offseason bonuses for a long time.....and its kinda bugging me seeing it over and over again to a point now where I feel its now time to bring it up for discussion.  I'm considering seeking league approval on something, nothing too drastic, more of a minor tweak, or who knows, maybe a little drastic.  From day 1, my main concern with the MLD is to keep things competitive, fun and challenging for all of us. I don't want to pick on anyone in particular because truth be told, its a loophole a bunch of MLD GMs appear to be benefitting from it.  (Heck, even my team has benefitted from this loophole that I am considering plugging or semi-plugging.)

While awarding the Non-playoffs(NP) bonus of +3 to Stamina, Shooting and Skating, I've been noticing alot of already highly skilled players on non-playoff teams, who are also receiving this bonus.  Now I realize this is well within the current rules setup which is straight and simple, miss the playoffs, your entire team get this particular bonus.  However I feel it goes against the whole purpose and point of this bonus, well one of them anyway.   The bonus was created for 2 reasons....

1) It was to compensate non-playoff teams whose non-active players did not receive improvements back when the league began.  That changed a year(s) or so ago with a WiS update so that players now improve during playoffs whether they are in them or not.

2) It was intended to assist struggling out-of-playoffs teams by improving their players' skill-wise, with the thinking that the players collectively needed the help skill-wise, to return them back to a competitive level.  Awarding this bonus to players who are already highly skilled, but being "cooked/warehoused" is NOT what I wanted, but currently well within the rules under the current set up.  It doesn't seem right that a Joe Smith with skills like 90ST, 90SH, 90SK....will now be 93ST, 93SH, 93SK because his team didn't make the playoffs.

I would like to consider tweaking this bonus (NP Bonus) or possibly removing it all together. 
- if tweaked, we can make it so that no player attribute gets a boost with the NP bonus if it is already at or higher than a certain level. (say 80...or maybe even 70)
(I can't suggest a tweak of having it so that only players who played 20+ in that season get this bonus, simply because the workload in tracking this would be too great, sorry guys)

- if removed completely, its important to note, that the non-playoff teams would still get a bonus in the form of the Bottom 6(B6) Bonus.  Plus, the beloved SC Bonus would still remain.  Has this particular bonus rule become obsolete?  (I hadnt thought it was until I typed out this message)
10/5/2011 9:34 PM
Honestly I have never thought about the bonuses. You know my record, I almost never finish out of the playoffs. So these bonuses or lack of them have never factored into any of my team building strategy.
Even on the occasions when I've... taken my foot off the gas... During a season, it's with an eye toward draft position, not the bonus structure
10/5/2011 10:05 PM
I agree with you OKP... I don't believe the bonuses are really needed as finishing low in the standing means a good draft pick anyways. most 1st rounders are pretty darn good. 
10/6/2011 12:46 AM
Bottom 6 and SC bonus should be enough.
10/6/2011 7:53 AM
I was the beneficiary of a few players getting a bump for the NP bonus of +3, and even though it is a bonus, it is not that much of one. I'd say scrap it if you like okp.
10/6/2011 6:00 PM
Man, I'm having a hard time deciding on who my new FP is going to be.  Gonna be a heavy retirement year for Kingston this upcoming offseason......7 players retiring including my outgoing FP.....so 6 will retire and 1 will be saved by getting my FP slot, but I'll be damned, I can't decide who will get the job.  2 solid contenders.

Who should get it?

(D) Tank Heavens, a perfect D-man, who despite having a messed up debut season( only29games played), he has gone on to be one of the best D I have ever had, and this season marks the 3rd time he has notched 80+ points...he may even get 90 this year and if he really warms up 100 is not out of the question.  My defensive depth chart is pretty deep though so I like to think I can afford to lose him.  Although Kingston does love going with Dmen for FP.  (Seth Nurmenheimo, Claudio Ojuloma)

or 

(RW) Duke Suppman, the near perfect winger who is having a amazing career season.  92 pts in 74 games so far this season.  The Crooks' franchise record is Yannick Goulet with 105 back in season 1!  This is the first time Duke has had any real success, and my RW depth is hurting....perhaps I should hang onto him? 

No matter what I do, its gonna be a tear jerker lol

11/14/2011 8:57 PM
Yorkton Millers' new FP is RW Guillaume Ponku
12/8/2011 10:28 AM
Halifax Mooseheads new FP is RW Al B Zienya
12/8/2011 2:17 PM
◂ Prev 1...54|55|56|57|58...63 Next ▸
MLD World Thread #2 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.