Deliberately throwing games to make money Topic

Posted by JohnGPF on 12/21/2007 9:32:00 AM (view original):
...that is true...
...perhaps i should have made this a poll with options and kept a running tally?
...so far it would be:
A) Black Sox
B) Fatigue Strategy
C) Both
D) Froglike Indifference to Human Affairs
Funny.
7/19/2021 6:45 AM
Posted by ooooohdoggie on 12/24/2007 11:13:00 AM (view original):

Quote:
Originally Posted By mmiller989 on 12/24/2007

You're right - it IS an insightful way of looking at things.

Tell me OB-wan, is the desire to place a Milacki in my lineup simply a lure from the Dark side?

I want to use the force for *good*, but I want that championship!

hmmmm, What would Bob Milacki do?

Luke "Sky" ??? Walker Kenny "Sky" Walker

All Forums > MLB SimLeagues
Topic: Bob Milacki Sighting

Quote:
Originally Posted By TellySavalas on 4/07/2006

I just found out yesterday that Bob Milacki is the pitching coach of the local AA Farm Team here in Lynchburg, Virginia called the Lynchburg HillCats (Pittsburg Pirates Farm System). I called the team manager to see if he could arrange a surprise birthday meeting for my 13 year old son to meet Bob.

My son, Joseph is as much a WiS junkie as I am...he just can't afford as many teams as I can, yet :) and he knows all about Bob Milacki.

The manager said he would be happy to arrange the meeting, and after I told him what a legend Milacki was in our little world of WiS, he said that Milacki would be surpised to hear about it. Apparantly, Bob Milacki is very unassuming and completely unaware of what a legend he is here and would probably be a little embarrased by it all.

Milacki has been the pitching coach here in Lynchburg for 2 years and I only found out yesterday.

This is going to be pretty neat.

MIlacki Update...We did it!

Last night (5/13/06) our meeting with Bob Milacki went EXACTLY according to plan. I don't believe I have ever had a plan unfold so near to my original thinking. If you read my forum post (copied below) where I laid out my plan...then you will get an idea of what happened. And my son's reaction was priceless. His jaw dropped and he could barely talk.

Milacki was terrific. He chatted with us a few minutes and told us of his callup in 1988.

Since it's so late now, I'll post more tomorrow about how that went, but I will say this...he had never heard of WiS and he DID NOT KNOW that he had the lowest OAV of all time for a pitcher with at least 25 IP.

Enough for now...

Here is my previous post with my plan:

Since this is my son's birthday, I am going to surprise him with this meeting in this way:

I am going to arrange to meet Milacki on the field before the game. I'm not going to bring my boy down with me right away, I'm just going to engage Bob in a bit of baseball chat. and let him know this is my son's birthday and what I'm about to do. Then, I'm going to call my son down to the field and let him impress Bob with how much he knows about baseball history. I'll ask him a few questions that only those of us in SimLeagues would know. For instance: I'll ask him what the highest full-season batting average of all time was. Most people think it was Ty Cobb, but Joseph knows it was 1894 Hugh Duffy. Then I'll ask him what outfielder had the greatest fielding range statistic of all time, and of course he'll answer 1928 Taylor Douthit. Then I'll ask him what pitcher had the lowest OAV of all time with at least 25 IP. Joseph will immediately answer 1988 Bob Milacki. Then I'll ask him one last question. If your SimLeague team was in the World Series and you had ONE game you HAD TO WIN. What pitcher would you want? And I know Joseph will spit out, without hesitation, 1988 Bob Milacki.

At that point I will simply lookat my son and say, "Joseph, meet Bob Milacki".

The look on Joseph's face is going to be priceless. If I manage to get a good picture of it, I'll post it in the forum.

Great Real Life story with Pitcher Bob Milacki.
7/22/2021 12:00 AM
Great post… I remember reading this “way back” but had forgotten the cool story. Been around this site for a long time.
7/22/2021 1:25 AM
This is pretty awesome.
7/23/2021 3:10 PM
Somebody paid to have a 1990 Leaf Bob Milacki card graded? What is this world coming too!
7/23/2021 3:38 PM

Telly Savales and son, LocoHombres, WhatIfSports interview.

http://test.whatifsports.net/beyondtheboxscore/default.asp?article=interview_20061013
7/26/2021 1:45 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 123456
Deliberately throwing games to make money Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.