Deliberately throwing games to make money Topic

...is this a thread about the Black Sox or the fatigue strategy?
...you decide...
12/21/2007 9:06 AM
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
12/21/2007 9:29 AM
...that is true...
...perhaps i should have made this a poll with options and kept a running tally?
...so far it would be:
A) Black Sox
B) Fatigue Strategy
C) Both
D) Froglike Indifference to Human Affairs
12/21/2007 9:32 AM
WHO ARE THE BIGGEST FATIGUE STRATEGY GAMBIT USERS?/?
LIST THE NAMES!!!!
WE WANT THE NAMES OF THE CHEAT/EXPLOITERS!!!
12/21/2007 9:32 AM
I admit, I tend to throw the first 3-5 games in most every league I am in.
12/21/2007 9:35 AM
...well, they aren't cheating...one nameless individual, who is very good at it, has been publicly trying to get admin to fix this for over a year...
12/21/2007 9:38 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By blackmink18 on 12/21/2007
I admit, I tend to throw the first 3-5 games in most every league I am in.
...i try to remember to throw my AAA SP in the first game, but i win about a third of them, i guess...just lost one 4-2 in today's AM set...but i do that to try and avoid early season fatigue...
12/21/2007 9:40 AM

Just art imitating life.
12/21/2007 9:47 AM

Quote: "To me, the name of Connie Mack always has been synonymous with baseball, standing for everything that is best for the game he loved." Will Harridge.

Will Harridge was the longtime secretary of American League founder Ban Johnson and was later AL president himself from 1931 to 1959. He was instrumental in the creation of the All-Star Game in 1933.

Quote: "There's never been a morning in my life that I didn't look forward to going to my office." Will Harridge.

... Connie Mack was also tight-fisted.

Seeing baseball as a business, he once confided that it was more profitable to have a team get off to a hot start, then ultimately finish fourth.

"A team like that will draw well enough during the first part of the season to show a profit for the year, and you don't have to give the players raises when they don't win," Connie Mack

How long have there been arguments over the legacy of Joe Jackson, Ty Cobb and other ball players who were accused of throwing games?

Then we have Pete Rose banned for betting on his team to win their games.

Now we have the Mitchell Report and Mark MacGwire's Hall of Fame status in question, as well as perhaps dozens of players in the near future having a cloud over the question of their Hall of Fame credentials.

Has anyone ever stated that Baseball Commissioners, League Presidents, Team Owners or other baseball Officials should not be honored by the Hall of Fame for not trying to win every game? Or cheating in another form?

Baseball was found guilty of colluding against free agent players.

Every major league team fielded 24 players instead of the 25 maximum for part of one season for labor and financial reasons.

If the owners primary goal was winning would every team agree to handicap themselves?

In other sports how commonplace is it to see players have convenient sprained ankles or tendinitis when a different player is ready to be removed from a disabled list.

Basketball eventually raised the roster maximum because of the gamesmanship with the Injured Lists and roster spaces.

Judge Landis is said to have been against Negro League players in Major League baseball. Branch Rickey did not sign Jackie Robinson until after Landis passed away.

If winning was the primary goal baseball would have been integrated before Jackie Robinson, and never would have excluded players in the first place.

Two wrongs do not make a right, but when management decides to do less then their best to win, it is viewed quite differently then how players linked to controversy are viewed.

Otherwise Connie Mack would not be so esteemed, while Joe Jackson, Pete Rose. Barry Bonds, Mark MacGwire and others have tarnished reputations.

12/21/2007 9:52 AM
...i wonder if there are any WIS owners who won't draft black players for their teams?
12/21/2007 9:54 AM
This could end up being a slippery slippery slope.
12/21/2007 9:56 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By rufusjonz on 12/21/2007
WHO ARE THE BIGGEST FATIGUE STRATEGY GAMBIT USERS?/?
LIST THE NAMES!!!!
WE WANT THE NAMES OF THE CHEAT/EXPLOITERS!!!
12/21/2007 10:09 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By blackmink18 on 12/21/2007
This could end up being a slippery slippery slope.
...wait till all the college kids home on break wake up about noon....
12/21/2007 10:12 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By grizzly_one on 12/21/2007Price PA accordingly. And don't let fatigued guys play many PA over their limit. Less effective is meaningless. When guys get say 20% over their pace, that's when they should be knocked out of games
...i think it's gotten even more popular in the new version, in part, because hitters are too cheap...PAs just don't cost enough...
12/21/2007 10:16 AM

WhatIFSports always penalized teams for having decent bench players like a team would attempt to have in real life.
Wasn't it a foreign thought to say it is ideal to have @ $38. 5 of your $40 million payroll for position players be allocated to 8 everyday players.
And then we have the tanking issues in Progressive Leagues with losing to get a better draft choice, whenever their is a reward for losing, competition will be effected.

12/21/2007 10:31 AM
123456 Next ▸
Deliberately throwing games to make money Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.