Boasters, Whiners, Cons, Libs (CLOSED) Topic

Quote: Originally Posted By firehose on 2/11/2008Obama ain't a true Irishman, I guarantee. Why the hell are the Marines hunting Al Qaline, anyway? (snip
Maybe they need another OF?
2/11/2008 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by doubletruck on 2/11/2008Hey, I highjacked the thread myself, so let it go wherever posters want to take it.

The United States in the past eight years has come the closest to being an outright example of corporate fascism that it has ever been.

This is on top of years of righteous economic exploitation of other countries. (Why do they hate us? They understand this exploitation more than most of us are willing to consider.)

The corporate moguls do control their media, whether you believe it or not. For just a few examples, find the documentary, "Fear and Favor in the Newsroom." You might also read: "Breaking the News" by James Fallows; "On Bended Knee" by Mark Hertsgaard; "The Secret History of the American Empire" by John Perkins; or, for a broad historical view, "The Image" by Daniel J. Boorstin. (I could provide a much longer reading list.)

The corporate elites are happy to have the populace distracted by Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan, by arguments over gay rights, by the continuing debate over abortion, and by the obsession on TV news with anything violent or melodramatic -- because it keeps people from paying attention to the kinds of things written about in those books and documentaries.

I won't go on because I lack faith that the readers of this thread who are not already wise to reality will pay attention anyway.

If you want your politicians to be able to continue to claim that this is the greatest country on earth, you better send some of the corporate cronies (Republicans and Democrats) in the Congress and the White House packing while there is still something to boast about.
Good point. There are a lot of scumbag companies who outsource our jobs here and exploit the heck out of poor countries. I was just pointing out they aren't all in Republican pockets. I am not naive to believe Republicans have all the answers(They don't..no way). I am trying more to frame the argument around Christian-conservatism vs Liberalism.
2/11/2008 4:33 PM
But, ashel1, Jesus was a liberal.

I would guess that you've read the sermon on the mount, as well as some of the rest of the New Testament.

Do you think Jesus would embrace the so-called conservative values that are being foisted upon this nation by narrow-minded, self-righteous zealots?

ADDENDUM: I'd guess that he would be against abortion. Otherwise, I don't think he'd put any stock in the whole right-wing package.
2/11/2008 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By doubletruck on 2/11/2008But, ashel1, Jesus was a liberal.

I would guess that you've read the sermon on the mount, as well as some of the rest of the New Testament.

Do you think Jesus would embrace the so-called conservative values that are being foisted upon this nation by narrow-minded, self-righteous zealots?

ADDENDUM: I'd guess that he would be against abortion. Otherwise, I don't think he'd put any stock in the whole right-wing package
Mmmmmm.... kool-aid...
2/11/2008 4:41 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
2/11/2008 4:44 PM
Mmmmmmmm... kool-aid???
2/11/2008 4:44 PM
I'm not sure who started that one. O'Reilly likes to use it.Maybe he did.
2/11/2008 4:54 PM
I absolutely love the lunatic fringe talking points sprinkled through DT's rant:
"Corporate fascism", "righteous economic exploitation", "narrow-minded, self-righteous zealots"... Citing environmental nutjobs like Hertsgaard and conspiracy nutjobs like Perkins makes for shaky (at best) assertions.
And the liberals get more money from the corporations than the conservatives (look at Hillary's donor list, especially in NY) because their policies are more easily manipulated. Republicans might argue for tax breaks which apply to most businesses, Democrats prefer to directly fund pork-barrel projects that benefit donors directly.
2/11/2008 6:05 PM
Ted Kennedy lobbied for the Big Dig(disaster)...Jaba Hutt Kennedy needs to retire. He's a waste of a senate seat.
2/11/2008 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By ashel1 on 2/11/2008Ted Kennedy lobbied for the Big Dig(disaster)...Jaba Hutt Kennedy needs to retire. He's a waste of a senate seat
I saw that when I was in Boston in 2004. Did they ever finish that?
2/11/2008 6:48 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By doubletruck on 2/11/2008

But, ashel1, Jesus was a liberal.

ADDENDUM: I'd guess that he would be against abortion. Otherwise, I don't think he'd put any stock in the whole right-wing package.

I fail to see where any of that makes Jesus a liberal. He did preach tolerance and love for one ather, but that hardly meant to tolerate homosexuality & abortion....... he did hang out with gay people and other sinners as well..... But he was teaching them also, showing them love and compassion despite their sins.....
2/11/2008 8:49 PM
This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
2/11/2008 8:55 PM
2/11/2008 9:56 PM
2/11/2008 9:59 PM
I totally agree with you there... Ashel... I disagree with doubletruck and anyone else that thinks Jesus was a liberal.... He was open-minded enough to hang out with the sinners, but was not condoning their actions. He hung out with the people who needed his saving grace the most. He didn't exclusively hang out with Christians. That would be like saying that we needed to feed the hungry with a big outreach, and talking about it with other like-minded people, but never actually doing anything about it..... It wiould do no good.....
2/11/2008 10:48 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...11 Next ▸
Boasters, Whiners, Cons, Libs (CLOSED) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.