New Feature: Defensive Positioning Topic

Wanted to give everybody a heads up that we'll be adding a new feature next week, most likely Wednesday or Thursday.

There will be a team setting called Defensive Positioning that will allow you to indicate whether you'd like your defense to extend out to perimeter or sag into the paint more. It's a +3 (guard perimeter) to -3 (guard paint) setting.

Along with the new setting, each player in the database has been designated as a Perimeter, Midrange, or Paint offensive style.

This will indicate how a particular offensive player will be affected by the defensive positioning. For example, if you're facing a team filled with players designated Perimeter, then you'd want to shift your defense toward the perimeter (a plus setting) and vice versa for a team of Paint players.

The positioning setting will impact your own team's defensive rebounding (the further away from the basket, the harder to rebound). It will impact your opponent's turnover and foul chances slightly, frequency of 3pt shots vs. 2pt shots, and of course both 2pt FG% and 3pt FG%. How much of an impact depends on the setting and the range designation of a particular offensive player that has the ball.

The setting will be available to all teams, but will only be used by the SimEngine for leagues starting after the release date.

I'll monitor this thread for a while if anyone has questions.
3/12/2008 1:28 PM
So will the Defensive Positioning feature be for each player, or only for the team as a whole? I would think each player should have the feature.
If I'm facing Ray Allen along with a bunch of Paint players, I would want my SG to extend, while the rest sag to the paint.
3/12/2008 2:29 PM
It's a team setting, so it indicates as a team how you want to play.
3/12/2008 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By seble on 3/12/2008Along with the new setting, each player in the database has been designated as a Perimeter, Midrange, or Paint offensive style
Seble this is a nice addition to the sim thanks for the work, but I do have a question and it is in regards to the above statement.

Will the settings in the database be seen when drafting players, and if so will players be rated on a 0-100 like in defense for each of the positions (since players like Olajuwon and Ewing were both effective in the paint as well as in the midrange game)? Also will this have any affect on the salaries of the players?

Again, thanks.
3/12/2008 3:28 PM
No, everyone is designated one of the three only. The offensive range designation won't affect how a player performs by itself so it won't affect salary at all.

Offensive range will be viewable on the popup player profile that's available in the draft center. I'm not opposed to adding it to the search results, but it's a space issue.
3/12/2008 3:35 PM
Thanks for the response...and I heard that monkee is going to hate it just because and colonels19 wants the source code for the update...
Just kidding, really
3/12/2008 3:39 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By seble on 3/12/2008It's a team setting, so it indicates as a team how you want to play
Would it be possible to make it a setting for each individual player?
3/12/2008 4:12 PM
I'm not really sure why individual settings would be necessary... if one is concerned about a Shaquille O'Neal/Ray Allen team (two main scorers, one inside and one outside), then you could just have it at the normal setting, and there wouldn't be an emphasis on inside/outside...
3/12/2008 4:17 PM
I think we just want to stick to the team setting. If it were an individual setting then it would become pretty messy to manage. And the intent is that you try to take away an opponent's strength, but at the same time give up something.

If you could set each player individually, there would be no tradeoff there. You'd generally just set your big guys to take away the paint and your guards to take away the perimeter.

3/12/2008 4:20 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By malone9975 on 3/12/2008
Thanks for the response...and I heard that monkee is going to hate it just because and colonels19 wants the source code for the update...
Just kidding, really
Take a look at Jerry Seinfeld here...I'd be fine with you making that statement, if you had a clue what people were talking about and you saw my post(s) within context. And by the way, anything that further complicates the game, I don't like.
3/12/2008 4:22 PM
Ok, thanks for the replies. Should be interesting.
3/12/2008 4:28 PM
Can you give an estimate of the defensive rebounding increase and decrease when +3 and -3 are compared to a defense with no adjustments? If a team has a high volume perimeter scorer and a high volume paint scorer, will they both get a boost if the defense makes no adjustments?
3/12/2008 5:51 PM
Rebounding effects depend on the quality of your team, but it could mean several rebounds per game.

If the defense makes no adjustments then performance would be the same as normal.
3/12/2008 6:45 PM
Will a player's designation (perimeter. midrange, paint) have any effect on their ability to get an offensive rebound (other than their real life stats of course)? Will you be able to switch a defense from no adjustments to +3 when an opponent goes into a 3 point offense towards the end of the game?
3/12/2008 8:32 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By seble on 3/12/2008
No, everyone is designated one of the three only. The offensive range designation won't affect how a player performs by itself so it won't affect salary at all.

Offensive range will be viewable on the popup player profile that's available in the draft center. I'm not opposed to adding it to the search results, but it's a space issue.
Could you have them in the search results but as just a letter or number.

P-Post, M-Midrange, 3-Perimeter or something like that?
3/12/2008 8:57 PM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
New Feature: Defensive Positioning Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.