New Feature: Defensive Positioning Topic

This post could not be converted. To view the original post's thread, click here.
3/18/2008 7:35 PM
FYI, the changes are now out there.
3/19/2008 3:20 PM
Art Collins, SG 100% in PG and SG...
Paint
Classic!
3/19/2008 3:42 PM
Art Collins, 2 3FGA, 0 3FGM, high oreb% (especially for position), relatively low assist rate (especially for position).

This would suggest that he did most of his scoring near the hoop.
3/19/2008 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By tinmanpb on 3/19/2008Art Collins, 2 3FGA, 0 3FGM, high oreb% (especially for position), relatively low assist rate (especially for position).

This would suggest that he did most of his scoring near the hoop
Almost a quarter of his points were scored at the line
3/19/2008 5:03 PM
which suggests he took his shots from the paint/interior, since most shooting fouls are drawn near the basket
3/19/2008 11:08 PM
Quote: Originally Posted By kfunk on 3/19/2008
which suggests he took his shots from the paint/interior, since most shooting fouls are drawn near the basket
I quoted him in my post to show that I agreed with his statement.
3/19/2008 11:11 PM
Thanks for developing this feature, Seble. I'm really looking forward to trying to utilize it. Can't wait to pack it in against those Wilt-centric teams.
3/20/2008 8:00 AM
you mean like the Knicks did in Hershey PA?
3/20/2008 10:38 AM
Quote: Originally Posted By malone9975 on 3/19/2008
Quote: Originally Posted By kfunk on 3/19/2008

I quoted him in my post to show that I agreed with his statement.
i thought so... i was just trying to provide even further clarification
3/20/2008 11:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by seble on 3/12/2008Wanted to give everybody a heads up that we'll be adding a new feature next week, most likely Wednesday or Thursday.
There will be a team setting called Defensive Positioning that will allow you to indicate whether you'd like your defense to extend out to perimeter or sag into the paint more. It's a +3 (guard perimeter) to -3 (guard paint) setting.

Along with the new setting, each player in the database has been designated as a Perimeter, Midrange, or Paint offensive style.

This will indicate how a particular offensive player will be affected by the defensive positioning. For example, if you're facing a team filled with players designated Perimeter, then you'd want to shift your defense toward the perimeter (a plus setting) and vice versa for a team of Paint players.

The positioning setting will impact your own team's defensive rebounding (the further away from the basket, the harder to rebound). It will impact your opponent's turnover and foul chances slightly, frequency of 3pt shots vs. 2pt shots, and of course both 2pt FG% and 3pt FG%. How much of an impact depends on the setting and the range designation of a particular offensive player that has the ball.

The setting will be available to all teams, but will only be used by the SimEngine for leagues starting after the release date.

I'll monitor this thread for a while if anyone has questions.
Just catching up to this and I've read some of the responses but not all, so apologies if I'm repeating something.

Please clarify that the “offensive style” designations are only there for the defensive positioning to work. In other words, they do not, on their own or otherwise, affect the quality of their offensive performance.

If this is not the case – if the “offensive style” designations have effects beyond the defensive positioning – this is, in my opinion, a bad idea unless it comes with further coaching options associated with it.

Thanks.

3/20/2008 2:09 PM
No, offensive range does not affect any other aspect of a player's performance.
3/20/2008 3:07 PM
Is this going to force us to draft 3 point bombers when we use somebody like shaq?
3/20/2008 11:24 PM
Thanks seble.
3/20/2008 11:29 PM
We'll see how this really ends up working, but it feels like a realistic variable to me.
In the real NBA, at least of the last 20 years, yes you absolutely want 3-point bombers on your team when you have a dominant inside force. That's why the Lakers of the late '90s never went hard after Jason Kidd. They stuck with the otherwise-inferior Nick Van Exel who could help discourage defenses from sagging too much on the big guy.
Similarly, what put the Rockets over the top for their two titles was, in the end, less the presence of Thorpe or Drexler but the presence of guys like Horry and Cassell who could space the floor for Hakeem.
So yeah, this is one more thing to manage, but I can appreciate the logic of it. Anyone building a team around Wilt Chamberlain had better look to the likes of Glen Rice rather than an Adrian Dantley as the secondary scorer.
But a question, seble...does pace of play influence the impact of these settings at all? If a team is running constantly, then I'd think it would matter less if a team is trying to pack it in inside against Chamberlain regardless of whether there are bombers to keep them honest on the perimeter.
3/21/2008 9:22 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
New Feature: Defensive Positioning Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.